FREE week long CHASE TOURS in 2006 possible

Well I sent them my bio and information. I definitely would like to go :D Who cares what the motive is, it's a FREE chase tour, people! Tours are SOOO expensive. :roll: Most people cannot afford to spend $900-2500 for a one week tour. I'm just a 15 year old Colorado farm boy, so I obviously don't have that kind of cash just lying around the place... Again, who cares if the Twister Sisters are asking for photos, it's an oppurtunity of a lifetime to chase with two awesome, very knowledgeable lady chasers and with other severe weather freaks FREE minus the cost of food and lodging.
A question I have for Melanie: what kind of vehicle do you have and how many people will you have room for. I don't mind riding on the roof, just as long as you don't punch a hail core while I'm up there... :lol:
But seriously, I hope it's a big vehicle, because I'm 5'11" with very long legs, but I'm built like a scarecrow so I can be squeezed in the middle. It wouldn't bother me too much. Just as long as my knees aren't touching my chest. :D

This is an awesome idea, I've thought about offering the same sort of opportunity myself. I would've killed to be able to chase from the time I was about 5 years old up till I actually started chasing when I was 16, of course I was absolutely clueless as to how to get into such a venture other than learning meteorology in college. To be able to foster the interest of kids who bugged their parents to drive them to tornado warnings (BUT MOM! ITS ONLY LIKE 30 MILES AWAY!!!!) for free or a minimal cost to their parents is something I think the chase community should embrace. This would probably be very beneficial in the future in many ways, increased knowledge and safety, etc etc etc.

Just my $.02, I would volunteer for the spot since it would be sweet to get a free chase vacation, but I know there a million other people out there would are more deserving.

Sounds like someone's "fishing". I remember years ago when Gene Rhoden was searching for a chase partner. I applied but never heard back. Wonder why? LOL!

I wish you the best in your quest ladies! It is an honorable idea and gas prices are Sooo high. LOL - perhaps this is the only way I will be able to afford to chase by next season.

It would be nice to roll along with the group and let others worry about all the storm issues while I focus on my photography and videography. Like others though not sure I could remain a silent partner in the back seat.

Shane mentions drinking in the van. I can see it now as we all roll down the road and pop a top or two. "Take me to your tornadoes"!

Wow the offer is pretty cool! I sent in my candidature right away. I went on the Stormtours.com website after to read more and well I think, that the offer is not as free as we think...

I read the Stormtours.com website and on a normal chase with them, you have to supply your own chase vehicule, gas and so on... They will supply, ham radios, threat net and all other gizmos....

Basically, the deal is that they are not charging you the 150$/per day tag along fee.

I thought that the tour company was like the other tour companies, meaning that there is a tour van holding 10 or so people and so on...

Anyway, we will see!

I can't help but wonder why they're looking for participants on Stormtrack, where most everyone who is interested in chasing would probably prefer to have more control over a chase than a tour company would allow.

Wow the offer is pretty cool! I sent in my candidature right away. I went on the Stormtours.com website after to read more and well I think, that the offer is not as free as we think...

I read the Stormtours.com website and on a normal chase with them, you have to supply your own chase vehicule, gas and so on... They will supply, ham radios, threat net and all other gizmos....

Basically, the deal is that they are not charging you the 150$/per day tag along fee.

I thought that the tour company was like the other tour companies, meaning that there is a tour van holding 10 or so people and so on...

Anyway, we will see!

I would go re-read the first post if I were you.

We will be the tour guides and you will ride in our chase vehicle equipped with all the latest technology.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, and I might be, but is this the same chase group that nearly drove into a forming tornado crossing the road, right in their path a few years ago? I might be thinking of someone else as there are so many chaser shows on TV.

Mike

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, and I might be, but is this the same chase group that nearly drove into a forming tornado crossing the road, right in their path a few years ago? I might be thinking of someone else as there are so many chaser shows on TV.

Mike

AWESOME, LOL

I haven't submitted my name yet, I just don't think I'll be home on time.
As far as driving into a road-crossing tornado, I've seen that a lot on TV.

Mike

I believe you are talking about Sliver Lining Tours and Roger Hill. The one where he says something like "that's as close to death as you'll come"? Is that the one you are thinking about?

Yes they are the ones who almost drove into a white tornado as it was about 100 fett or yards in front of them.

But now a days driving into tornadoes is the lastest FAD. :shock:

Yes they are the ones who almost drove into a white tornado as it was about 100 fett or yards in front of them.

But now a days driving into tornadoes is the lastest FAD. :shock:

Oh yea, I remember that. It spun up right in front of them. That was some pretty awesome video.

Hmm...being as poor and as in-debt as I am with my education, it's really not a bad offer at all. However, I suspect it might be some sort of publicity thing to promote their tour company since they are asking for photos (you know, kind of like a casting call for a reality TV show). It makes me think that there might be some video taken to make some sort of advertisement of for the tour company. If that's the case (which I'm not saying it is), I don't know if I'd like to be portrayed as a "tourist" or anything like that when it comes to severe weather since I'll be a meteorologist by that time. But if it's out of the goodness of their hearts, then I wouldn't mind if someone else did the driving :).

This is an awesome idea, I've thought about offering the same sort of opportunity myself. I would've killed to be able to chase from the time I was about 5 years old up till I actually started chasing when I was 16, of course I was absolutely clueless as to how to get into such a venture other than learning meteorology in college. To be able to foster the interest of kids who bugged their parents to drive them to tornado warnings (BUT MOM! ITS ONLY LIKE 30 MILES AWAY!!!!) for free or a minimal cost to their parents is something I think the chase community should embrace. This would probably be very beneficial in the future in many ways, increased knowledge and safety, etc etc etc.

Just my $.02, I would volunteer for the spot since it would be sweet to get a free chase vacation, but I know there a million other people out there would are more deserving.

I entered. My five year old son is my chase/spotting buddy when we go out. He already knows the difference between supercells and "regular" clouds and is learning about bowechoes. He's glued to "Storm Stories" every single night and keeps me posted on all weather changes throughout the day. We have a blast together and he would be so thrilled to do something like this.

He once told me that storm chasers and spotters were "super heros" because they helped save lives. :D

Back