• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Stormtrack will be turning 50 in 2027 - anthology project

Jeff Duda

site owner, PhD
Staff member
Site owner
Supporter
Stormtrack was officially founded on October 9th, 1977. That means the community recently had its 46th birthday. That also means we are just under four years from Stormtrack’s FIFTIETH (that's 50, or the Roman numeral L) year as the place to go for all things associated with storm chasing, including vehicle technology, computer technology and the advent of mobile internet, advances in the understanding of atmospheric processes, advances in hazardous weather forecasting and information dissemination, photography, geography, education/academics, and just the evolution of the cultural influence of storm chasing on the broader world in general.

We want to celebrate this monumental achievement by doing something truly special. While we are open to other ideas about ways to celebrate fifty years of a storm chasing community organization, the initial idea that has gained traction among the staff is to create an anthology - essentially a book - highlighting every facet of storm chasing (see the list above of sub-disciplines that affect/influence the activity). And we want you all to be a part of this anthology, from supplying ideas of what to include, essays covering various subjects, chaser profiles, interesting tidbits, discoveries, or data collected, maps, trinkets, artifacts, antiques…whatever it is that you might be able to contribute.

The current idea is indeed to eventually make a publishable book out of this (and we do mean to an established publishing service and selling to the world). That will likely incur large monetary investment, but also a lot of planning and effort on the part of many people, not just the Stormtrack staff. But that is why we want to announce this now so folks can begin thinking about contribution ideas and also have time to gather and create the content needed for this project. You should expect that this idea will morph as time goes on through 2024 and 2025, and especially into 2026. However, we also have to acknowledge the potential that eventually we will decide we are unable to complete this project and have to do something different. But the more time we give ourselves to get into this, the more likely we are to have success.

One of the first things we plan to do for the anthology is send everyone a link to a survey so we can build profiles of chasers in the community. Participation is, of course, optional, but the more who participate, the more we will be able to do with the information.

So please, I invite all of you to suggest topics to include or your enthusiasm for participating in this in any way. If there is sufficient interest, we can create a committee devoted to this goal.

A few suggested topics to get the ball rolling:
-Evolution of gas/oil prices since the beginning of storm chasing
-How chase vehicle setups have evolved with the change in technology
-Of course we will include the "In Memoriam" section that will pull material from the obituary thread

Thanks for getting this kicked off Jeff! Really appreciate your vision here, and glad we are starting early - these things take time, and 2027 will be here before we know it (not that I want it to arrive too soon, as the year will also include a decadal milestone of my own - let's just say I'm older than Stormtrack 😒 ). I second Jeff's invitation to get involved *now* - the downside of starting early is that people don't feel a sense of urgency, but we are going to need all of the available time between now and then - after all, this isn't a full-time endeavor for any of us.

Here are some additional ideas for topics, in no particular order. Most of these would be about the evolution of the subject area:

- Evolution of the storm chasing community / subculture - from the print version of ST, to the online version, to the social media impact
- Media chasing
- Storm chasing in popular culture (movies, books)
- Impact of technology - from the days of weather radio, stopping in NWS offices, and paper maps, to today...)
- Impact of forecasting improvements and model evolution (for example, when I started chasing there was no SPC Day 3, or 4-8; no HRRR; etc.)
- Societal perception of chasers (Plains residents, LEO, NWS, etc.)
- Chaser convergence
- Scientific field projects
- Long-range (seasonal) forecasts and correlations with El Nino / La Nina, etc.
- Comparison of seasons for as far back as is reasonable (stats around tornado count, number of tornado watches and warnings, etc.)
- History of storm chasing tours
- Pioneers of storm chasing (David Hoadley, et. al.)
- Chaser safety and ethics (unfortunately I think we have seen a general decline here...)
- Compare/contrast chase vacationing to local chasing
- Chasing practices/trends in regions outside of the Plains
- *Why* we chase, how people get into chasing, why they stop
- Chase vacation diversions (i.e., favorite things to do when the weather doesn't cooperate)
- Chase territory - favorites, pro's and con's, etc.
- Other types of storm chasing - hurricanes, snowstorms, etc.
- Evolution of photography - from film to digital, etc.; video format changes; the rise and fall of the "chase video anthology" (VHS, then DVD, now just short individual chases on YouTube)
- Chase reports - styles, the (unfortunate) dwindling of long-form chase reports, etc.
- Other chaser hobbies - any common themes, i.e. if you like chasing, you are also likely to be into... ???

I will add more as I think of them, but now I've got to get back to work! ;)

Thanks for getting this kicked off Jeff!
- Evolution of photography - from film to digital, etc.; video format changes; the rise and fall of the "chase video anthology" (VHS, then DVD, now just short individual chases on YouTube)

Thanks, Jim. I'll get started on feedback on an idea, regarding video productions of storm chasing.

I either possessed or watched the following chase videos:
From TWC: "Target Tornado", "The Enemy Wind", "The Chase (1995 season)"
Don't know the production source: "Tornado Video Classics"
DVDs: "Storms of [year]" series

I actually found an archived version of one of these videos on Vimeo!
And then the '96 version:
Here is "The Enemy Wind":
I wonder if the others are on YouTube now, too. But I can't find the full list of videos.

The above were anthology/combination videos. Then we should consider programs made by individual chasers. I know the following people have produced their own anthology DVDs, but I am missing many names (please reply with names filled in):
-@Ben Holcomb
-Tim Samaras
-@Shane Adams
-@Tony Laubach has produced videos for the old TWISTEX project, and I believe at least one DVD of his own.

Again, I know I'm missing tons

Finally, we will have the "modern/digital" age where everything is online-only: e.g., YouTube, Vimeo, Twitch, FB, Twitter, etc.

Last edited:
Back