FREE week long CHASE TOURS in 2006 possible

I have rescinded the lock on this topic. I did this absentmindedly, and it's certainly not standard operating procedure. I will ask Peggy and Melanie to provide further information if they so desire.

I do request that off-topic messages be carried over to a different thread.

Tim

I'd never thought of it before, but this would probably make the perfect reality TV show. Confined spaces, long hours on the road, interspersed with short bursts of near-death experiences. If this ISN'T some sort of reality show casting call, someone out there ought to pitch the idea to one of the networks. :)

Hey, when people get voted off the island, they just get dropped off of the van. In front of a wedge!

Just a thought. Though there's shows about chasers and storms on the National Geographic and TLC and Discovery which spike interest in Chasing storms in turn getting more people out chasing who may not know what they are doing. As a question would this not get tons more people out on the road making it even more congested.

In turn I hope this show if it airs shows the "reality" of chasing and encourages safe and responsible chasing which from what i have seen with the sister's that they are just that safe and responsible.

...would this not get tons more people out on the road making it even more congested.
I think that is a legitimate concern. But I speculate that when it comes down to it, maybe one in several thousand people who say, "Hey, that's cool! I wanna do it!" will ever actually do it. Three things will turn them away:

1. Time. When they realize that storm chasing is not a day-trip kind of thing, most people will concede they don't have [or won't make] time for it. Most of them won't even have time for a SKYWARN class.

2. Money. In addition to the work they're going to miss, they will also be quite dismayed by the costs involved. Most of them don't already have a laptop with ThreatNet, a Ham radio, or a gas card that somebody else pays for.

3. Difficulty. Once they realized that it's not as simple as listening to NOAA and then jumping in the car when the alarm goes off, most will drop out. And of those few who decide to try and learn a little meteorology will quickly say, "F this!"

I think it's like becoming a doctor or a fireman or a cop. Everybody who watches TV says they want to do it at one time or another, but darn few ever do it.

I was thinking a true reality show about storm chasing might cut down on the amount of people that take up chasing. If they show the amount of time, money and frustration involved, people might think twice before taking up storm chasing. I think that this whole thing is a good idea, as long as the producers keep it realistic and don't twist what this great chase team has to say to hype it up and make it something that it's not. Good luck Twister Sisters!

edit: I was typing and didn't see the above post.

Just a thought. Though there's shows about chasers and storms on the National Geographic and TLC and Discovery which spike interest in Chasing storms in turn getting more people out chasing who may not know what they are doing. As a question would this not get tons more people out on the road making it even more congested.

In turn I hope this show if it airs shows the "reality" of chasing and encourages safe and responsible chasing which from what i have seen with the sister's that they are just that safe and responsible.

Yeah I share the same concerns. At least the shows of NGC seem to have some scientific material. If it was a 'reality' show similar to the countless ones on television I would expect it to be a lot of action. Making storm chasing look like some sort of ultimate thrill-ride. Im sure if this was the case you could count on more un-educated people jumping in their car when the sirens go off. It's still a free country and anyone who wants to chase certainly has the right. I hope like Kurt that if this does come to happen that it does potrary storm chasing in a responsible and somewhat realistic light... Of course if its a FOX show we're all screwed..LOL

-Scott Olson

...would this not get tons more people out on the road making it even more congested.
I think that is a legitimate concern. But I speculate that when it comes down to it, maybe one in several thousand people who say, "Hey, that's cool! I wanna do it!" will ever actually do it. Three things will turn them away:

1. Time. When they realize that storm chasing is not a day-trip kind of thing, most people will concede they don't have [or won't make] time for it. Most of them won't even have time for a SKYWARN class.

2. Money. In addition to the work they're going to miss, they will also be quite dismayed by the costs involved. Most of them don't already have a laptop with ThreatNet, a Ham radio, or a gas card that somebody else pays for.

3. Difficulty. Once they realized that it's not as simple as listening to NOAA and then jumping in the car when the alarm goes off, most will drop out. And of those few who decide to try and learn a little meteorology will quickly say, "F this!"

I think it's like becoming a doctor or a fireman or a cop. Everybody who watches TV says they want to do it at one time or another, but darn few ever do it.

I think it certainly could bring more people out intially with a pre-concieved notion based on the program. But I agree that eventually the amount of driving, money, education and patience that is needed will weed out all but the ones who are truly interested. Still I think the possibility of this having a significant impact on the chase community is possible.

Back