• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Minimalist Chase Forecasting: Avoiding Analysis Paralysis and Separating the Signal from the Noise

JamesCaruso

Staff member
I've learned that information overload is a real thing, and have taken measures to prevent paralysis by analysis.

Inspired by the above @Drew Terril post in another thread, and at least one other similar reference I saw in another post recently, I thought this would make a good topic.

With all of the available data, it is too easy to get caught up in analysis paralysis, Although I take chase vacations, I often try to get remote work done on my trips so that I can stay out longer. I find myself obsessing over the forecast for 2 to 4 hours sometimes, with multiple checks as new data and model runs come out. This is stressful when trying to also fit in some work time and still get out of the hotel by the 11 or 12 check-out time. I enjoy forecast analysis for its own sake and am not looking to shortchange it, but there are times the information overload becomes overwhelming. As I begin second-guessing myself, it becomes more anxiety-producing than enjoyable. I remember some days deferring a decision on a relatively close-by target area, only to end up behind the action. Dealing with differing model solutions is a particular challenge for me.

Please use this thread to-
-share your own experience with analysis paralysis
how (or if) you have conquered it
-what your “shorthand” forecasting process is
-how long on average you spend forecasting an event (I’m sure this differs if you are forecasting one event from days out, versus chasing multiple consecutive days when you really only have enough time to focus on Days 1 and 2.)
-I am particularly interested in strategies for reconciling competing model solutions (particularly when the HRRR reflectivity or helicity track output conflicts with your well-thought-out forecast)…
-Using composite parameters as shorthand vs consideration of competing individual parameters in different locations
-is there a point at which you refuse to look at data in the field, for fear that it will keep you from relying on your senses?
-how do you avoid confirmation bias (for example, subconsciously biasing toward a target that is closer, has better roads/terrain, or even just knowing your favorite restaurant is in the area, despite there being better parameters elsewhere)
-how do you avoid anchoring bias (failing to properly consider new information after becoming anchored to an earlier forecast, or being prejudiced by an SPC outlook or meso discussion, or another chaser’s forecast or target area) (note - I personally try to avoid this by *not* looking at any of that until after I make my own forecast, but then if it contradicts my forecast I am back into analysis paralysis!)

Lots of different directions this topic can go, so I hope everyone contributes to the discussion so we can all learn and improve!

At risk of being simplistic, my twin brother and I separately pick out our target areas ( whether we are both going or not). We then argue back and forth about who’s right and why, eventually coming to some sort of an agreement. Fairly often we both picked the same target.
Sometimes I push for what I think is a good “secondary” target that will save a bunch of driving and he just wants to target wherever he thinks the best odds are. Being crabby about a long drive usually crops up when I’m expecting a big drive back in the opposite direction the next day. I’m also biased in pushing for the dry line whenever possible.
Dealing with a cap that may or may not break is where I really get the sweaty palms. I get paralyzed at times deciding if I want to risk seeing nothing or maybe targeting something like a triple point if available.

Chasing solo brings with it a lot of the issues James covered. I often don't have time to do the proper sit-down forecast that I should, particularly if I ended the previous chase very late (many times from shooting lightning) or if have a long drive to the target. Some of those days I'm lucky to get 20 minutes' look at the setup. In the cases where I need a shortcut or I'm just feeling lazy, the SPC mesoanalysis page has been a pretty solid staple.

On the "classic" days in the Plains, the old-school satellite-and-surface-obs are usually enough to paint the picture. CAMs can definitely lead you astray on those days. The most glaring case I know of of that was the DDC day, when the HRRR kept a monster supercell/helicity track in Colorado on every run, and only little disorganized-looking squibbles down in Kansas. CAMs are also hodgepodge or misleading on many of the more subtle forcing days where you have a large area of low-to-moderate potential. Satellite/surface obs again can save the day. The two Bennington days ('13 and '16) were like that, models were of no use and were just noise/distractions from what satellite was showing clearly by midday.

Usually when I'm on the road to the target, my browser tabs are on:

1.) COD visible satellite loop with CAPE and surface ob overlays selected
2.) SPC mesoanalysis page on either the SBCAPE or the 0-3km CAPE/sfc vorticity plot
3.) COD radar loop in the target area

I'm rarely looking at models after noon. If I still need them at that point, my day's not going very well and usually ends up not well too.

This is the part where I consider myself a yahoo chaser because I don't do thorough forecasting and only look at a couple of parameters. But here's the process:

1. Will there be storms? Check out Simulated Reflectivity. No storms firing (or firing after dark)? Check subsequent runs. Initiation occurs? Go to Step 2.

2. Will they possibly produce tornadoes? Check Helicity, EHI. No? Might stay home. Yes? Go to Step 3.

3. Pull a couple of hodographs to see how big and looping they are. No? Not a deal breaker. Yes? Awesome. Go to Step 4.

4. Check CAPE and Dewpoints for style of storm and chase it may be (and photoworthy-ness). Go to Step 5.

5. Pick biggest storm that's most isolated in Simulated Reflectivity. That's probably my target.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've missed a few tornadoes this way. But I've scored some of the biggest as well and it doesn't require a masters degree in meteorology to make a decision. No time to think that much when you gotta drive to get there.

I started out chasing during the caveman days, so data was almost non-existent. It was the era of "ultimate minimalist" chasing!

There was a show called "AM Weather" on PBS that was designed for pilots. It helped, but a lot of hotels in chase regions did not offer PBS on TV. The only other option was visiting a local NWS office. We had one shot at upper air data in the AM, so we relied heavily on surface data.

Now days, about 75% of my chase target decisions are based on surface data as it changes through out the day. I also monitor satellite images, SPC outlooks, the SPC mesoanalysis page and mesoscale discussions. I might look at CAMs, but they can be misleading. I completely avoid making final decisions based social media hype and sorcering forecasts. In my opinion, following social media forecasts are the no. 1 fail for chasers. Having spent so many years chasing w/o data, I think my visual skills at watching sky conditions also helps.

As I mentioned in the other thread that you're alluding to, James, I rely primarily on surface obs and satellite imagery. The morning of a chase, I very rarely even glance at CAMs. While mobile data was available when I started chasing, it was not cheap and wasn't anything that I could afford to run, either as a college student or when I was on Active Duty. I also mentioned using APRS to query weather stations for surface data. If I wasn't somewhere that I could pop in somewhere for wifi (which was pretty often), I could plot out a surface map in a half hour or so by querying said stations, assuming I was close enough to a digipeater to hit it. It was I think 2012 before I had any kind of mobile data, so I got pretty proficient at doing without.

Warren nailed it RE social media. While I will have discussions with friends on the subject, the majority of the time, I have my target already picked out and it takes a pretty drastic change for me to come off of that. Of the times that I second guessed myself and bailed on my original target, I am struggling to think of a time where that actually paid off for me.

I guess on the morning of, I use CAMs more than some of you. But never take any one as gospel. Rather, I look to see if they are consistent. If so, and if models show favorable parameters in the same area, go for it. If they are not consistent, are they sort of in two camps about where strong isolated storms will occur, or are they all over the place? If the former, I choose one of the two areas based on considerations such as where the model parameters are better, where the two areas are relative to my location, chase terrain, etc. Or maybe if the two areas are close enough, position myself where I can get to either. But they have to be close, or you will end up in the middle with nothing. If the CAMs are all over the place, move on to other considerations. Besides CAMS and models, on the morning of I always look at NWS forecast discussions in my area(s) of interest. Like others, once I am in the field I rely on my eyes, radar, SPC mesoscale analysis page, and SPC mesoscale discussions.

I completely avoid making final decisions based social media hype and sorcering forecasts. In my opinion, following social media forecasts are the no. 1 fail for chasers.

Excellent point. For someone like myself who's not a professional meteorologist, soliciting the opinions of those "more experienced" (whether directly or simply by perusing what's posted) on social media is tempting. In a recent PM conversation on here, I cited "Discord hype" as one of the influencing factors in my decision to dump southwest Nebraska for west-central Kansas on May 26, 2021 (no offense to those who regularly participate in the Discord targeting discussions, but I've found them to often be vulnerable to groupthink when a particular area starts to look good on some model runs).

Warren nailed it RE social media. While I will have discussions with friends on the subject, the majority of the time, I have my target already picked out and it takes a pretty drastic change for me to come off of that. Of the times that I second guessed myself and bailed on my original target, I am struggling to think of a time where that actually paid off for me.

Bingo. The above mentioned day as well as Pilger 2014. Both days, sticking to my preplanned target would have at least put me within striking distance of the storm of the day. Almost did it on March 31 last year as well but stuck with my gut feeling and the basic thought "it's the left exit region nosing into the warm sector just ahead of the triple point, if it doesn't go ham nothing will."

-how do you avoid confirmation bias (for example, subconsciously biasing toward a target that is closer, has better roads/terrain, or even just knowing your favorite restaurant is in the area, despite there being better parameters elsewhere)
This is a great question and as I get older I run into more and more, as recently as yesterday's chase in western Oklahoma.

I actually embrace this and let it influence my chasing. Yesterday's setup gave me three choices for targets. One was in NW Oklahoma with beautiful terrain, one in central western Oklahoma which I know like the back of my hand because I grew up there (also great terrain for chasing) and one along the Red River.

The Red River target actually looked better as a target. Better dewpoints, more isolated supercells, fired a bit later than the northern storms and quite possibly had better parameters as far as being photogenic. But, the Red River is harder to chase and as storms matured it appeared to approach I-35 which I am not a fan of (especially east of there), and I've been to that region of TX/OK more times than I can count lately and I get tired of being in the same places over and over. So, after looking at everything I chose western Oklahoma and it was a pretty decent chase although it didn't produce.

The scenery a target offers, the amount of population I have to contend with, the number of larger cities, if I've never been to a place or been to a place too much has a huge impact on where I chase, even if parameters are better elsewhere. These days, seeing and photographing the same storm as 8 gazillion other people doesn't interest me. I'm looking for an experience that is more focused on what I want or like out of a storm/area and not so focused on seeing "the" tornado of the day, although if it all comes together I won't complain.

Equipment overload. There was a time, right after the advent of laptops and mobile technology, that my chase group crammed every bit of technology we could find into our vehicles. Mini TV's, satellite radar, front-mounted laptops, ham radios, scanners, radar jammers 😇, frequency counters, tablets, etc. Buy the end of the 1990's, our driver compartments looked like the space shuttle flight deck! We would spend more time distracted by playing with our toys than actually focusing on data. It was not real apparent back then, but our target success rate dropped dramatically.

Now days, I've reduced the electronics to an iPad, ham radio and a cell phone. I sometimes use an XM satellite radar unit as a back-up and a scanner for EMS communications. One thing I learned from chasing and being a pilot..... when the poop hits the fan, totally focus on driving, the map and the radar!

Now days, I've reduced the electronics to an iPad, ham radio and a cell phone. I sometimes use an XM satellite radar unit as a back-up and a scanner for EMS communications. One thing I learned from chasing and being a pilot..... when the poop hits the fan, totally focus on driving, the map and the radar!

To Warren's point, I've arranged things in my chase vehicle to maximize efficiency and adjusting things by touch, while retaining decent capability. I do run a laptop with GRL3 up. I've found the larger screen helps me process information more effectively at a glance than I would be able to with a tablet, or especially just using my phone. While my setup looks complicated, it's actually a lot easier to work under a time crunch than slimming down comms wise.

Comms wise, I also run a scanner just to monitor area public safety, especially in localities that tend to deploy their VFD as spotters. In my case though, instead of running a regular ham radio, I repurposed a pair of commercial radios for ham. One is on VHF, the other on UHF. One of my long running complaints about purpose built ham radios is the lack of zones to organize frequencies. Granted, this probably stems from my time in the military, but I do like to have all my freqs preprogrammed so I can just flip to the appropriate one and call in whatever I need to call in. With my two commercial radios (Kenwood TK-7180 and Motorola XPR 4550), I was able to organize all my frequencies my CWA, and they're all labeled by county, with the exception of the larger cities. One glance at GRL3 to see what county I'm in (or close to if the one I'm in doesn't have a repeater), a couple pushes of a button to select the frequency, and I'm good to go. I've kept the same setup for long enough now that I can change zone or channel by touch. Prior to that, I ran another radio that, once I had more than a few dozen freqs saved, it took too much concentration to find the right one.

I do keep a VFO capable radio with me, but I generally just keep it on simplex while I run APRS on the B band. Some net controllers do monitor APRS, so letting them know that I have that up has made it easy on them to note my precise location. Some would also call direct for me over the net as I repositioned to ask if I had anything more to add once they'd seen I moved.

Way over-forecasted 4/22/2010 and ended up missing out on the tornadoes. Luckily I learned pretty early to just roll with it. I will echo some of the other sentiments here - Over reliance on social media is a huge one. Now that I don't have it, I consider it a blessing. I also have always been pretty opposed to using CAMs. When they hit its great, but Dan's example of Dodge City is one of many days that people following the CAMs failed bigly.

As far as forecasting goes, everyone should go over the Rich Thompson forecast methodology that he went over in the tornado forecasting class a few years ago. I rarely use models the day of except maybe a glance at the RAP and NAM as well as a HRRR glance on days I have a bit of time. More time is spent drawing a surface map and looking at obs and satellite on chase day. I don't know how some of y'all got so much time to socialize on chase days, but I'm typically busy. I love using the VAD hodograph tool from Twisterdata, vis sat & water vapor on AWIPS2 or cod website. Observed soundings are also king leading up to an event. I could tell the setup yesterday would be extremely moisture starved the other night after looking at the Corpus and Brownsville soundings. Moisture on OUN/FWD was also razor thin.

Side note: I don't know how you young whippersnappers that walk on my lawn can chase with just an ipad and phone nowadays. Maybe I am not enlightened, but how do you get the data you need on those devices? I've thought of adding a tablet so I can use it for maps, but trying to flip between apps seems like a nightmare. Have I just become gramps at this point by keeping my computer?

Don't want to derail too much, but wondering if people also tune in to local radio while chasing? I would assume many local TV stations still dualcast on radio (I've certainly seen it on older archive footage in OK), so that would also provide helpful updates while on the road?

Equipment overload. There was a time, right after the advent of laptops and mobile technology, that my chase group crammed every bit of technology we could find into our vehicles. Mini TV's, satellite radar, front-mounted laptops, ham radios, scanners, radar jammers 😇, frequency counters, tablets, etc. Buy the end of the 1990's, our driver compartments looked like the space shuttle flight deck! We would spend more time distracted by playing with our toys than actually focusing on data. It was not real apparent back then, but our target success rate dropped dramatically.

Equipment is definitely another aspect to overload vs minimalist chasing. I recall back in 2000 chasing with a then-veteran that had a mini-TV with extended antennae sliding across the dashboard as we drove. Complete chaos and over-stimulation! I also recall speaking to another another veteran chaser around the same time - he was sitting in his car in a parking lot, surrounded by technology like he was in a spaceship, only to put his hand out the window and say “oh, it’s raining.” 😅

Side note: I don't know how you young whippersnappers that walk on my lawn can chase with just an ipad and phone nowadays. Maybe I am not enlightened, but how do you get the data you need on those devices? I've thought of adding a tablet so I can use it for maps, but trying to flip between apps seems like a nightmare. Have I just become gramps at this point by keeping my computer?

I’m older than you Ben, and I’m good with just an iPad 😏 As a chase vacationer, I rent a car, so couldn’t use a laptop even if I wanted to, without an installed laptop holder. I always have a laptop with me, but even when I do my morning forecast at the hotel I often gravitate toward the iPad before the laptop. Most of what I look at for forecasting is a website, not an app, so it’s easy enough to switch among webpages by clicking open tabs In the Safari browser. I can also easily do a screenshot and mark it up if I want. It’s also easier to zoom in on a tablet (unless you have a touchscreen laptop). The only app I might switch to is RadarScope if there are ongoing storms. On the road, it does become a little more difficult to switch among RadarScope and GoogleMaps, but sometimes I’ll use my iPad for one and my iPhone for the other, or two different iPads if my chase partner has one. The only downside to forecasting on an iPad is it’s a pain to be as precise with a point and click sounding with my finger as opposed to a mouse-click. I do like being able to use a laptop with two screens, so I can look at two parameters together. I have a portable monitor (they are slim, lightweight and inexpensive) but don’t always feel like taking the time to set it up, especially since I often want to get out of my room, go down to the lobby and forecast from there while drinking coffee. I also sometimes forecast with my laptop and iPad at the same time as a way to use two screens.

Don't want to derail too much, but wondering if people also tune in to local radio while chasing? I would assume many local TV stations still dualcast on radio (I've certainly seen it on older archive footage in OK), so that would also provide helpful updates while on the road?
I’ve done that in the past, but no longer. It’s too distracting to find a station with good coverage. Unless there’s no cell signal, there’s nothing the radio can tell me that I can’t see on radar myself.

Somewhat of a digression from information overload relative to forecasting, but still worth discussing here as a “minimalist chasing” topic and equipment-related is the extent of camera and video usage. I am always torn between wanting to capture the moment and have something to show people back home, vs living in the moment and savoring the experience, without the distraction of fumbling with camera equipment, or shifting back and forth from camera to video. Or fumbling between a DSLR camera and also an iPhone so that I would have something to more easily and immediately share with family and friends back home, instead of having to wait to get back to the hotel and download the pictures/video onto my laptop. Lately I’ve been taking 90% of my pictures and video only on my iPhone, just because it’s quicker and easier, and I can use it with one hand while driving if I have to. Curious as to others’ approaches!

Sometimes I do. The stations along the US-20/US-18 corridors in Iowa had some decent coverage on April 12, 2022, with a combination of local DJs giving spotter/damage report updates, and NOAA weather radio feeds. It was the latter that actually alerted me to the initial severe thunderstorm warning going out for the eventual Gilmore City tornado-producer (not that it ultimately did me any good on that day) as soon as I turned my car on after my food break in Fort Dodge.

Just about any FM station in OKC metro will pick up one of the TV stations if there's a tornado warning in the metro. I've found it make excellent audio for footage. For example, my Mangum Oklahoma Tornado footage has TV station audio in the background. Luckily someone in western Oklahoma was carrying it that day.

@Ben Holcomb - I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I really appreciate the app Wx on Android and wXL23 on IOS for quick data. I still use Radarscope separately, but it's convenient having most of the data I want in one place instead of visiting multiple web sites.

As far as forecasting, I do a deep dive the night before to pick out a general area, then check SPC to compare. The day of, I'll look at a few basic parameters to see if things are on track with the previous assessment. The last thing I'll look at near midday is the helicity tracks and composite radar to see what, if anything, is different and why... and where the CI might fire if the cap is strong. If it's hard to make a call on a specific area, I'll go theough more parameters to till one seems better than the others. Once towers go up, or if there's been previous or ongoing convection, identifying and tracking outflow boundaries becomes part of the workflow. I like things simple, so I try to run a checklist of the needed basic ingredients and keep it consistent. As I learn more and realize past mistakes, I modify the checklist as necessary. It's still a work in progress though and fluctuations are common, lol. Once you're near your target, you only have about 100 to 150 miles of leeway, so then it becomes a decision of which storm, or bailing to another area all together. But once you're on the chase, it's all about visual cues and radar interpretation.

With the complexity of not just the atmosphere, but the forecasting of meso scale and storm scale phenomenon, pattern recognition is probably the biggest help... especially considering how much luck is actually involved in varying levels of success. I can imagine having a chase partner or 2 would alleviate some of issues with info overload, amongst other things.

From an equipment standpoint I am not the most minimalist, but I am pretty close to it. I have Radarscope on my phone (left side of the wheel) and I also have Android Auto which allows me to run Google Maps on the vehicle display in my Rav4 (the vehicle is also my hotspot), so it's killing multiple birds with one stone there. I live stream to YouTube so I still have a laptop and stand and keep my dash camera in the passenger corner so I don't have an obstructive view through the windshield while driving. I also run GR3 on my laptop so I have backup radar and a way to see reflectivity if I'm looking at velocities in Radarscope. It used to be just phone for a while but I like having multiple ways to get data if I'm in a tough area.

Edit: I don't usually mess with the dash cam as far as panning or zooming so I don't mind it being out of reach. Streaming is a non-priority and more for the fun of it so I don't care if I get great video or not.

20240326_124819.jpg

I do like the Android app Wx too. Mostly use it for viewing observed soundings while laying in bed or the satellite/water vapor.

@Sean Ramsey how hard was radarscope on the RAV4 screen? I've likely got the same screen as you in my 21 Camry, so this is relevant to my interests. I love the built in AT&T hotspot as well and use a Verizon hotspot as well. I haven't gone without data for long on a chase since having both.

I do like the Android app Wx too. Mostly use it for viewing observed soundings while laying in bed or the satellite/water vapor.

@Sean Ramsey how hard was radarscope on the RAV4 screen? I've likely got the same screen as you in my 21 Camry, so this is relevant to my interests. I love the built in AT&T hotspot as well and use a Verizon hotspot as well. I haven't gone without data for long on a chase since having both.

My "new" (as of December 2022, technically my wife's but don't let her see the video @Michael McClellan caught of me standing outside it pulled over on IA-92 as he drove by on W-15 with the Keota EF4 in the background!) 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe has Android Auto capability; but when I installed it on my phone it seemed there was only a limited number of apps I could display on the vehicle screen, and RadarScope was not one of them. Would be delighted if someone has figured out a way to do that.

@Ben Holcomb My RAV4 is a 2023 and as far as I can tell you can't run Radarscope on the main display. As Andy mentioned I think it's limited to a handful of apps and Radarscope isn't one of them, but Google Maps is. I dedicate the main display to Google Maps and run Radarscope on my phone which works perfectly for me because I have a harder time seeing the small print for roads, highway numbers, etc. on the phone nowadays so the main display helps with that tremendously.

Have to add that I had a 2022 Tacoma and had the same setup but the main display was junk when it came to mapping and didn't show any of the detail that Google Maps did. The 2023 display shows maps exactly as it does on the phone so it's super detailed. This plus being able to run Android Auto wirelessly was a game changer for my setup.

Reading comprehension fail. I read google maps as radarscope and was thinking that would be a gamechanging cool thing to do.

Back