Cold Air Outbreak

B Ozanne

EF5
What were some of your low temperatures Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday morning?

The real cold air isn't supposed to arrive to the East Coast until tonight, and it will be greatly moderated from the Plains.

It was -13F when I got off work yesterday early morning. Myself and another co-worker almost got frostbite on our hands due to the cold. It was probably -17/-20F if you take into account wind-chill. What that doesn't take into account though is having to touch a cold steering wheel, gas pump or touch a frozen solid door handle. Forecasted wind chills were between -15/-30F yesterday but the wind didn't seem to materialize. Quite a switch from some of the warm weather we were having earlier last month, these temps are more reminiscent of Feburary than early December.

At -10 or less it's almsot a waste of time to turn the heater on in the car unless taking a trip to another city.

brr

-16 early yesterday morning. Took 20 minutes to warm the truck up. Even then the power steering was reluctant and the whole car seemed to say "dont move me please".

Our low here in Amarillo was 5 which occured at 7:53 this morning.

-11.2 this morning at the house, and only hit 11.5 this afternoon.

Sitting at -0.6 right now, waiting for the 900:1 ratio snow to arrive..... :wink:

Grand Forks, ND has been seasonably cold but our lows have been relatively mild compared to many areas since we've been socked in clouds and might have one inch of snow on the ground. The grass is still visible in spots. 75 miles from the Canuck border with hardly any snow while parts of KS and OK have significant accumulations. The coldest temp here thus far was -9F on Dec 4. It will be hard to get through Jan and Feb without a couple -20 to -30 days. About 5 months before any real chance of severe convection up here.

It isn't too bad here in Norman, but it is quite cold to our west and northwest. Much of southwestern KS should break record lows tonight (DDC is -2F currently, with a record low of -5 or -7 IIRC). The current temp in Boise City, OK (in Cimarron county in the panhandle) is -9F, quite respectable for the southern plains.

Back