"Chase Forecast" Guidelines/Rules

Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States of Americ
Just wondering, are ALL forecasts supposed to go into the "Chase Forecast" forum? I could have swore the snowstorm thread was in Weather & Chasing, but it now appears to be located in the "Chase Forecast" forum.

I've always assumed that any non-convective forecasts were to go into Weather & Chasing (i.e. dust storms, snowstorms, etc.).

From our board rules above:

5. Forecasts and reports. Posts containing forecasts or discussing weather events that have happened within the last 48 hours are allowed ONLY in the Chase Forecasts / Chase Reports board. This rule does not apply to non-precipitation weather occurrences (dust, fires, arctic outbreaks, etc) or events outside the United States. ... [/b]

The rule is if it deals with precip, it goes in Chase Forecasts / Chase Reports, otherwise we end up with a confusing situation in Weather & Chasing. If we get two major precip regimes (i.e. blizzard in Nebraska and tornadoes in Arkansas) the clause on geographical splits will allow two threads to exist.

On an internal thread I see that some of the moderators are unclear on this, so we'll get it all ironed out. Apparently we had a policy floating around that wasn't really written anywhere accessible.

Great... Now we'll have about 100 snow threads in the Forecast room. Who chases snow? Nobody... I only know of very few chasers who have chased blizzards. Snow threads get created for a stupid 6" inch snowfall... Great, now we'll clutter up the Forecast room with the gigantic volume of crap snow posts. There are no chasers who truely care about 3" inches of snow. Period.

Ah well....
[/b]

Nick,

In all honesty, however, 99% of 'snowstorm' threads occur during months in which there is no convective chasing. I've thought about this issue before as well, but I don't htink it really matters since it's not like we have lots of FCST threads in December and January. Sure, there may a little overlap, but "100 snow threads" being intermingled amongst active convection chasing FCST threads? Unlikely.

The percentage of US citizens that chase tornadoes compared to the percentage of US citizens that chase snowstorms (i.e. me, Hollingshead, Rhoden's, etc.) are pretty close (like 0.00005% versus 0.00004%).

As Jeff says, I doubt once April/May roll around we will see tons of "crap" snow posts.

Settle down a bit d00d.

Post edited by staff

A couple of additional points that went into the thinking:
  • By March and April the novelty of light snow has worn off. This is more likely to be an issue in the fall months.
  • We should not be seeing more than 1 or 2 snow posts a day at worst... if we get someone talking up a NJ snow event, it's going to have to include the entire northeast U.S.
  • The major snow events in March/April in the Great Plains are definitely exciting events of interest to some chasers, and are often tied closely with severe weather east/southeast of the surface low.
  • This will become a non-issue by April 15-30 when spring really gets going.
That's about as good as we can do, so we'll deal with any unforeseen problems when they occur rather than borrow trouble.

Tim

Great... Now we'll have about 100 snow threads in the Forecast room. Who chases snow? Nobody... I only know of very few chasers who have chased blizzards. Snow threads get created for a stupid 6" inch snowfall... Great, now we'll clutter up the Forecast room with the gigantic volume of crap snow posts. There are no chasers who truely care about 3" inches of snow. Period.

Ah well....
[/b]

Nick, have to disagree with you here... as there are actually a number of chasers who do have an interest and a care in winter storms. After all, severe thundersnows can be interesting and somewhat elusive. There ARE chasers who can care about 3 inches of snow...some are in it for the total weather experience. Not everyone is hardcore tornado-only type chaser.

I dont think the overlap will be significant at all in April, May and June, the peak months for chasing. Even so, the convective threads will far surpass the winter threads and always be on the "top" im sure.

EDIT: Yeah, what Tim said ;) :D

Back