Chase Day Diversions - Geocaching

Have you ever done any geocaching?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Looks like I was the only one that said I would do it on a chase day.... hahaaha, only early morning or maybe after the chase, but geocaching is addictive!!!

Benefits of Geocaching

One of the nice benefits of geocaching is that you get to practice with your GPS. You get familiar with your GPS, you get to know the area better, etc. This can be done during the off-season as well as during the chase season.

Next season, I'm hoping to be storm chasing with my GPS. I would have our target area plotted and a route to the storm area laid out. My GPS has MapSend information loaded in so that I can check ahead and see which towns has hotels, eating places and wifi hotspots. And if we do get hungry along the way or just plain too tired to go on, I can check my GPS and see where the nearest food place or hotel is.

I'm also in the process of getting a laptop computer too. Hey does anybody know of any software that can let you input your GPS coords and place your position on the map and overlay that map with a radar picture? It would be so cool to be watching a supercell take that "right hand turn" and you catch the right highway on your laptop and be in the prime position to catch a funnel or two... Please send me an e-mail. Thanks.

If anybody is looking for a good navigator, video/camera shooter or even a driver for next season, I'm willing!!

Definite sign of SDS: Dreaming about the next storm chase season...

LJK

Back