CHASE CASE #3

Kevin and I would have stayed put per the 12z here in Wichita. After seeing the 18z update, the dp depressions seem kinda high all the way up and down the dryline...looks like storms will have to deviate off the dryline a bit to become more sfc based. Winds are backing here in SC Ks so i'll just drift west a little bit closer to the dryline to Kingman, KS. How about that "4 Inch Hail" wording...should have listened to Verne and used that rhino lining idea.

Sitting in Hebron, NE waiting on initiation and have good road options in all directions. Dryline is still off to the west, watching a nice cu field, and intend to play just to the south and east of where I expect the triple point to be. Ready for show time!

Wow -- some major time contraction here! My computer crashed and I missed the 16:30 data ;), and now some 19:45 is already coming in....

Well, after I checked out at 17Z I decided to locate west to Salina, KS, where I've been for about an hour. Looks like storms are initiating around Russell to the west. But it's early and I don't want to get suckered west too soon.

Still sitting in Hebron now under a PDS watch, wathching what looks like an enhanced area of cu just to my west. Making sure camera batteries are good to go, and Rain-X is applied.

Could you post any surface or vis sat of Northern plains? Otherwise, I think I'm gonna head south from Sioux Falls, SD and get in front of the storm going on along the NE/SD boarder. Should be close around 21-22z. For an actual location, i'll say Plainview, NE.

Staying put for the moment in Concordia. Watching cu bubbling to the west, just a question of which area pops first. Hopefully have positioned myself sufficiently downstream of developing storms to adjust to which ever area appears most likely to be conducive to tornadogenesis.

Could you post any surface or vis sat of Northern plains? Otherwise, I think I'm gonna head south from Sioux Falls, SD and get in front of the storm going on along the NE/SD boarder. Should be close around 21-22z. For an actual location, i'll say Plainview, NE.

satellite_vis_pir_200405292030.jpg

sfc_msp_2004052920.gif

Is this what you were looking for Joe? Or did you need anything further.....

After wake-up data I left Omaha for Beatrice, NE. Now hedging west a little bit to the Hebron, NE/Belleville, KS area.

Like the moist inflow down by Alva OK....looks like may have a DL bulge in that area setting up by later in afternoon. I am heading down southwest from Salina and my target is now the KS/OK stateline in the Anthony KS area. Things look very explosive for so early in the day....PDS T-box soon??

Sticking to Concordia after the last 18z update.

I've dropped the SD thing and am hooking up with Kurt in Condordia. We teamed up pretty well on the last case study, and this one could be even better. Big storm firing up there in southeast ND, but the Topeka sounding looks great, and I can see convection forming along the dryline. Ah, there's Kurt's car now.

Like the moist inflow down by Alva OK....looks like may have a DL bulge in that area setting up by later in afternoon. I am heading down southwest from Salina and my target is now the KS/OK stateline in the Anthony KS area. Things look very explosive for so early in the day....PDS T-box soon??

There already has been a few issued from SE South Dakota to NW Texas all PDS watches.

Back