4/15/2006 NOW: KS/NE/MO/IA

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a kinematic standpoint, the 0z soundings are very impressive! TOP showed ~440 m2/s2 0-1km SRH (awesome curvature in the lowest few kilometers), and OUN showed 400 0-1km SRH (with 75-80kts 0-6km deep-layer shear at both locations). Thermodynamically, it isn't much of a surprise that we didn't see sfc-based initiation in OK, with the 0z OUN sounding (which is immediately ahead of the dryline) showing -170 j/kg CINH. I do think this would have been a very impressive tornado outbreak if we had 65-70f dewpoints across the warm sector. However, as with the past setups this year, the meager moisture largely prevented a most significant outbreak. Man, that degree of low-level (especially near-surface) shear is certainly supportive of violent tornadoes given enough CAPE and sufficient LCLs... http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundings/06041600_OBS/
[/b]

My thoughts exactly Jeff...man the low level shear is just almost ideal...with the classic "L-shaped" hodographs in the lowest kilometer. There's a little bit of a storm-relative weakness in the mid-levels, but with better moisture this would have been a heck of an event. As it stands we still managed to get one good tornado (or a cyclic pair) in Beatrice...it looks like most of the other tornado reports are proving to be "brief touchdowns" which is more of what I was expecting today.
[/b]
Just a quick thought about the past couple days and the severe weather (brought this up with Jeff earlier)....is it possible that this storm relative weakness in the midlevels is allowing for the tornadoes to occur? This would allow for the precipitation cores to be closer to the mesocyclone and enrich the BL mositure near the storms to allow for the LCLs to drop significantly for tornado production.

Apanoose County in Iowa is now TOR warned. The storm in appanoose county is also possible producing penny size hail. I was in des moines today and on my way home had an asome lightning show. Looks like that is all I will get to see today :( Well that is better than nothing.

Hope everyone is alright. Take care everyone and be safe.

The dangerous TOR warned storm is now moving towards nevada in missouri. Does anyone know if this is a highly populated city in missouri? I sure hope everyone is alright. In Iowa severe storms are still capable of producing destructive winds in monroe and mahaska counties. people in the warned area be on the lookout.

If you go to google.com you might be able to easily find the population.

Any meteorology to go along with your posts?

If you go to google.com you might be able to easily find the population.

Any meteorology to go along with your posts? [/b]

Any meteorology in your response? Geez, dude... Why don't you stop playing moderator and let them
handle it, ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back