4/15/2006 NOW: KS/NE/MO/IA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The entire Colorado Gang has made it to Grand Island, Nebraska, including Katie Burtis who ventured out from Idaho this morning and just arrived as I am typing this. Gusty southeast winds kickin the TDs into the 50s along I-80 here in Nebraska with some nice CU going up to our west along the triple point which seems to be situated over North Platte. We're watching and waiting...

Now in Sioux City, we'll be booking it to Norfolk. Probably should have started out earlier for this one. Good luck today guys - be safe :) Might be in need of a nowcaster if my internet connection goes...which it probably will. I'll check things again when I get to Norfolk.

The entire Colorado Gang has made it to Grand Island, Nebraska, including Katie Burtis who ventured out from Idaho this morning and just arrived as I am typing this. Gusty southeast winds kickin the TDs into the 50s along I-80 here in Nebraska with some nice CU going up to our west along the triple point which seems to be situated over North Platte. We're watching and waiting...
[/b]

Tornado watch now in effect. Storms firing in Central NE

Let the games begin
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0190.html

Radar out of Hastings NE show Broken line of storms from near Burwell NE down to Grand Island NE

Merrick and Valley County now Svr Warned, movement of the storms North at 30 mph for the Valley
County storms and moving north at 60 mph for the Merrick County storms.

Also new storms between Hebron and Fairbury NE amd bettween Belleville and Washington KS

Mike
http://www.chaseseason.blogspot.com/ (Links to Weather Data)

Edit:
All the warned storms in Nebraska are moving North attm at a pretty good clip 45 to 55 mph.

Tornado warning with a cell heading NE. The cell is SE of Beatrice Nebraska. There is nice rotation and reflectivity with it. It too is heading at quite a good clip.
rad.jpg

Tornado warning with a cell heading NE. The cell is SE of Beatrice Nebraska. There is nice rotation and reflectivity with it. It too is heading at quite a good clip.
[/b]

Per the Severe Thunderstorm Statement, "trained weather spotters" reported a tornado 10mi SW of Beatrice. I believe that was the storm that developed over Concordia KS, which was my target this morning, before deciding to stay home due to moisture concerns... :rolleyes: I'm in Tulsa on non-chasing matters, but will jump on anything to develops west of here.. :rolleyes:

NWS Employee reported at 436 pm a tornado 5 miles south of Beatrice NE in Gage County.

452 pm Significant Damage 4 miles east of Beatrice from a tornado in Gage County
Storm moving north at 50 mph

Mike
http://chaseseason.blogspot.com (Weather Data Links)

Edit: Movement now northeast at 45 mph and Tornado Warning reissued for Gage County

Chasers take note of storm developing E of Junction City and S of Manhattan. VIL has built up rather quickly, with hint of velocity couplet on second tilt within nicely shaped back end -- storm has formed just ahead of dry line and now has rank of tail end Charlie...however, I still expect storms to develop even further S along the dry line....notice dry line trying to bulge around Marion Co., KS.

Looks like the good hodographs are allowing some tornado potential. But the Beatrice tornado appeared on radar to get rain-wrapped pretty quickly...so hopefully someone was there with a video camera early. Storms in Nebraska are relatively closely spaced suggesting the cold air aloft is indeed causing lots of initiation, and dewpoints are as low as expected this morning (59-60) so given these two factors I'd still think cold outflow will start to dominate pretty soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back