4/15/2006 NOW: KS/NE/MO/IA

Status
Not open for further replies.
TORNADO WATCH 192 issued for NE KS and NW/NC MO. Includes part of the KC Metro (Wyandotte County, KS where I live). Local meteorologists don't seem to expect much in the way of severe storms for KC and I am thinking the same thing.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TOPEKA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
SOUTHWESTERN BROWN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS
NORTHWESTERN JACKSON COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS
EASTERN NEMAHA COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS
NORTHEASTERN POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS

* UNTIL 630 PM CDT

* AT 546 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD
NEAR 4 MILES SOUTH OF ONAGA...OR ABOUT 32 MILES NORTHEAST OF
MANHATTAN... MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
HAVENSVILLE...
SOLDIER...
CORNING...
GOFF...
WETMORE...
FAIRVIEW...

I had a feeling this would happen soon.

Continue to notice building to the south, which of the cells between Council Grove, Cottonwood Falls, and El Dorado may survive, we shall see...but if any of them can for the next hour or so, will be entering enhanced low level moisture as well as helicity fields the next few counties to the east. The dewpoint gradient in S Central KS is incredible, w/ 60td in Eureka vs. 17td in El Dorado (one county apart!) over the last hour! These cells may yet max out over the Johnson to Allen County areas we discussed earlier today.

"HEN EGG SIZE HAIL WAS REPORTED ABOUT 5 MILES SOUTHWEST OF WETMORE AT
613 PM."

Hen egg size, huh? First time I've seen that kind of measurement. :blink:

630 pm Jackson County KS, from the lastest LSR, unknown buildings down in
the city of Netawaka, officials have not be able to get close enough
to the town to evaluate the damage at this time, power lines and
several trees also reported down,

648 pm Brown County KS tornado reported near Wills

Mike
http://chaseseason.blogspot.com/ (Weather Links)

A fairly amazing long-lived monster HP supercell with probably a very damaging, large tornado is mowing a small area of far northeast KS. The town of Highland to the WNW of St. Joseph MO appeard to take a direct hit per SRM loop. SRM pretty much maxed out gated to gate velocity couplet over 100kts. This storm appears to be at the suface occlusion point of the larget scale storm system... incredible east component to sfc winds along I-29 from STJ to MCI. Be careful out there folks. This looks rather ugly.

Mike U

Some intense velocity signatures now SW of Lawrence, KS. Forward storm motions now in the 20-25 mph range, so hopefully chasers are getting some good shots. Surface low still over S Central NE tightening up and slowing down, perhaps caught in between upper jets? RUC indicates 850mb flow to really kick up over the next few hours, so the show could continue well into the evening.

This may not belong here, but local (KC) stations are reporting damage to barns and outbuildings in Jefferson County, KS. They did not speculate whether it was a tornado or just strong winds.

Here in KCK we have occasional wind gusts and thunder. I can also see a slight sunset out my window, looks really neat with the dark clouds for contrast. Still waiting for the storms that are heading this way.

Hey ya'll I'm under a tor warn right now. Can anyone tell me where the storm is at here in KCK??

Edit: They are reporting touchdown at K7 and Parallel Pkwy here in KCK
[/b]
SE Leavenworth County, moving into Wyandotte Co, including KCK. Brief funnels reported. As it moves into a high-shear, richer moisture enviornment, I'd watch for a strong tornado.

Also, tornado-warned storm in IA moving into Audubon Co, with nice meso on radar.

Storm SE of Maryville, MO, seems to also have a nice couplet and needs to be watched.

From a kinematic standpoint, the 0z soundings are very impressive! TOP showed ~440 m2/s2 0-1km SRH (awesome curvature in the lowest few kilometers), and OUN showed 400 0-1km SRH (with 75-80kts 0-6km deep-layer shear at both locations). Thermodynamically, it isn't much of a surprise that we didn't see sfc-based initiation in OK, with the 0z OUN sounding (which is immediately ahead of the dryline) showing -170 j/kg CINH. I do think this would have been a very impressive tornado outbreak if we had 65-70f dewpoints across the warm sector. However, as with the past setups this year, the meager moisture largely prevented a most significant outbreak. Man, that degree of low-level (especially near-surface) shear is certainly supportive of violent tornadoes given enough CAPE and sufficient LCLs... http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundings/06041600_OBS/

My thoughts exactly Jeff...man the low level shear is just almost ideal...with the classic "L-shaped" hodographs in the lowest kilometer. There's a little bit of a storm-relative weakness in the mid-levels, but with better moisture this would have been a heck of an event. As it stands we still managed to get one good tornado (or a cyclic pair) in Beatrice...it looks like most of the other tornado reports are proving to be "brief touchdowns" which is more of what I was expecting today.

Storm was moving too fast. I went out but didn't see anything that looked very ominous. There were some lower, dark clouds, but they didn't really look like wallclouds. Then again, it is hard to see at nite with street lights all around. I guess I should have been watching the radar rather than watching the lightning because then I could have gone out sooner. Oh well. I see that this storm produced funnel clouds as it moved through North KCMO.

A TOR warning is in effect for carrol county in Iowa. Storm chasers/spotters reported strong rotation in a thunderstorm that is also cable of nickle size hail and destructive winds in essess of 70 mph! A line of severe storms is moving towards the des moines area (or polk county) and capable of prodicing nickel size hail and destructive strait line winds in essess of 70 mph! These storms are in Adair and Madison counties. I am in jasper county waiting to see if anything can make it here or if they will crap out. I will let you all know if I get anything realy exciting just alot of C2G lightning right now. Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back