4/07/06 NOW: Midwest and South

Storms continue to remain quite discrete across MS/TN. Training supercells continue WSW of Nashville with storms producing mid-level mesocyclones at an astonishing rate. Definitely becoming concerned about the potential for very destructive tornadoes later this afternoon and evening as high octane moisture (upper 60s/low 70s Tds) reaches the high risk area and low-level jet picks up.

Damage from a tornado near Nashville:
9_2_040706_storm14.jpg

Gabe

Uncomfirmed reports of a possible 3 fatalities in the Woodhaven subdivision in the NE Nashville suburb of Gallatin per Channel 5 Nashville. It was received from a resident, so I'm skeptical at best, but reported.

CONFIRMED: Two fatalities in N. Nashville per a spokesman with the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency, CNN.

GR2AE now estimates hail to 4.5" in diameter falling to the SE of Murfreesboro. Rotation still looks more like a mesocyclone with no intense couplet that i can see, but definitely this storm appears to be strong enough to produce tornadoes at anytime.

TOR warning on storm over Oxford, MS.

EDIT: I'm about to depart for TN/AL/MS border to intercept and follow this batch of storms. I'll carry a borrowed wifi laptop, but don't know how much opportunity there will be for updates. If anyone can help with nowcasting, please pm a phone #. Thank you.

I guess someone is expecting people to read through all this ,it's getting a little noisey. Maybe I read the rules wrong? :huh:

Not to be flippant during this serious situation, but there was a little comic relief:

Reporter on the scene on Ch 5, gesturing towards a damaged house, reported "Three people from this home were taken to a nearby hospital where they sustained some minor injuries......."

lol

3D Hail Spike from GR2AE
TBSS_2125z_Nashville.jpg

Also i'm noting an increase in the shear as it approaches Woodbury. May be tightening up a bit. Hail to 3.00-3.25" now, possible tornado in minutes....

Looking at the KOHX radar (thanks for the heads up Mike!) there are two storms with decent hooks in Hickman and Rutherford counties at 2121Z. Does anyone think it is a possibility that the storm west of Nashville could weaken before it gets close to Nashville due to rain cooled air? I hope it does, would be some good news for Nashville.

well we made it through round 1 for the night. we recieved hail of 2.25" and hail damage to siding, shudders, and windows. we also recieved an rfd gust of near 50 mph. did have rotation to our north.

Now getting some really good low level rotation and a spectrum width maximum at the center in the storm to the east of Woodbury. Looks like the rotation may be tightening and the chance for a tornado, perhaps a strong tornado, is increasing.

Also looks like the tornado might be in the center of the intense hail core. That would be one heck of an HP.....

At 5:00pm the spectrum width maximum has increased dramatically and a tornado may be forming or on the ground now 3.5 miles south of Ecre, MS....

very nice hook on the cannon co. storm. i did notice on the spc reports page that a tornado did touchdown off of old salem rd. (hwy 99.) which is less than a mile to my north.

Back