4/07/06 NOW: Midwest and South

Looking at the so-so resolution of CoD radar page and that cell west/northwest of Nashville has a serious velocity couplet with it. Solid roation with the cells to its southwest. Could get spooky for northern burbs of Nashville and numerous other communities. Here is a page that has several downtown Nashville webcam views on the same page. (scroll to bottom)
Nashville Cams

Nashville Traffic Cams

Yeah, I had an error also. In fact, about 20 minutes ago the whole website there crashed. It might have been overloaded from people wanting to watch the webcast from work.

Supercell has shown a little less organization in the TVS/G2G/Hook signature over the past few minutes. However, it could reorganize again. Also, more rounds of supercells may threatn the city. Look upstream. Whoa.

For that Nashville TV station webcast... I didn't have much luck, until I opened the stream directly in Windows Media Player... So, I suggest opening Media Player, and either hit CTRL+U or File >> Open Location ... Type is mms://a1831.l1374740131.c13747.n.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1831/13747/v0001/reflector:40131

Quite impressive rotation evident with the mesocyclones on the supercells west and southwest of Nashville (there are two big-league supercells aiming for Nashville). The supercell north of Nashville looks like it has a more convergent signature in the lowest two SRV scans... That supercell in Benton and Humphreys counties is aiming right towards downtown Nashville, probably in 90 minutes. Tornado reported north of Nashville. I wonder if the supercell in southern Perry county (the southernmost supercell) will negatively impact the supercell in Benton and Humphreys counties... 0-1km SRH on mesoanalysis, with degree of instability and storm organization, continues to support a strong/violent tornado threat aiming for Nashville and nearby areas.

They are probably overloaded right now. I have been on the stream for over an hour now and I am getting intermittent buffering issues.

Channel 5 had a news van showing live footage of the storm as it was heading toward I-65 in northern Nashville. You could see an obvious wall cloud heading right toward the van. They cut the feed and about 30 seconds later they reported a tornado on the ground with that storm.

Level 2 still showing good sheer and more storms down stream heading toward the same area. Nashville is in for a long day.

Still reporting tornado on the ground as of 2:19 pm CDT.

For that Nashville TV station webcast... I didn't have much luck, until I opened the stream directly in Windows Media Player... So, I suggest opening Media Player, and either hit CTRL+U or File >> Open Location ... Type is mms://a1831.l1374740131.c13747.n.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1831/13747/v0001/reflector:40131

Quite impressive rotation evident with the mesocyclones on the supercells west and southwest of Nashville (there are two big-league supercells aiming for Nashville). The supercell north of Nashville looks like it has a more convergent signature in the lowest two SRV scans... That supercell in Benton and Humphreys counties is aiming right towards downtown Nashville, probably in 90 minutes. Tornado reported north of Nashville. I wonder if the supercell in southern Perry county (the southernmost supercell) will negatively impact the supercell in Benton and Humphreys counties... 0-1km SRH on mesoanalysis, with degree of instability and storm organization, continues to support a strong/violent tornado threat aiming for Nashville and nearby areas.
[/b]

I tried accessing the streaming video as recommended and it works! Listening now to live coverage.

Hey, thanks, Jeff! WMP always freezes my computer, but I currently have it playing on full-screen RealPlayer! (Love my 1.5mbps DSL!)

850/500 winds are affording much more directional shear in TN than what we saw yesterday, but fairly unidirectional down in MS. Sfc winds are more southerly today, too, if a bit light (as was the case yesterday, too). CAPE is similar to later on yesterday. Other parameters are also similar.

Great. Just Great. GR Level 3 has stopped updating OHX. Last image received at 2:22 shows 5 monster supercells across Tennesee and southern Kentucky.

EDIT: Not just GR 3, regular radar site for Nashville is no longer updating as well. Could the radar have been damaged by a storm? :blink:

A reporter on I-65 in Goodlettsville is reporting cars flipped over on the highway. Significant damage to buildings in that area.

Tornado warned cell in Humphreys County is heading straight toward downtown Nashville.

EDIT: Channel 5 is having to use the KHTX out of Alabama because KOHX in Nashville is DOWN!! Hope they get that fixed.

Nashville, TN news is reporting significant damage, including flipped over cars, in Northern Nashville.

More importantly, all communications from the NWS are DOWN and Doppler Radar is now DOWN. WHOA....NO WARNINGS COMING OUT AND NO DOPPLER COMING OUT with many more tornadic supercells to come!!! Uh oh. I feel for these people.....

I'm watching CNN it's 2:38 pm CDT and they are showing good sized baseball sized hail

Weather Channel now showing live coverage from Ch5 Nashville.
Watch NEXRAD from Huntsvile for radar as Nashville radar is down.

People are reportedly trapped in a community college building that was damaged or destroyed in Gallatin Community college.

ALso...sherrifs report critical injuries and people trapped in homes nearby too.

Morrisontown, TN office takes over for Nashville office.... warnings once again coming out....

Geez there are so many storms forming now that could produce severe weather.
Area of good instability extendes from the Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico. Good shear remains mostly south of the Ohio River where tornadoes may be more widespread. Isolated tornado activity possible north of the Ohio River.
Already lost communication with one weather office... this is going to be a long day for sure.... probably a memorable long day....

FWIW....HPX (Fort Campbell, KY) is the next closest radar site for the Nashville, TN area. That radar shows another tornado with a storm track heading right toward the city of Nashville proper.

Video from Nashville now shows houses destroyed from earlier tornado that hit Northern Nashville.

Back