4/07/06 NOW: Midwest and South

Dave Gallaher is in Athens AL, and the right-turner on the AL/MS state line is headed right that direction on it's present track.

northern cofee county, tn cell looks like it has good rotation developing. tornado warning should be coming shortly

EDIT: tornado warning now out for warren co. just east of cofee co.

Just left the Sup that produced the tornado SW of Greenwood Ms. I was in perfect place to intercept and stopped to get gas with about 15-20 minutes to spare and ran into a redneck gas attendent that wouldn't turn the pumps on until I prepaid then couldn't work a credit card machine and then didn't turn the pump on. I ended up leaving after paying for $50 and pumping $40 just so I wouldn't get caught in the tornado and had to escape to the northeast to avoid hail. After getting caught north of the sup I got caught in traffic and new I didn't have a chance of getting back out in front. I am currently headed back west to the sups crossing into Ms. Hopefully they continue to go tornadic just after moving into Ms. So far missed 3 tors but came within 5 miles of each. Will update in a little while.

Report of tornado on the ground on the southern edge of Louisville, KY. Other eye witness reports of funnels in the Louisville metro. Per http://2005.whas.com/main.html - listen live. Apparently NWS employees are under the gun, seeking shelter as well. Also a report of a possible building collapse with occupants trapped and EMS dispatched in southern Louisville.

I've advised Dave that the right-turner on the AL/MS line has split, and appears to maybe have a more NE track now. He is gonna head W from Decatur and go about 1/2 way to Florence. The S 1/2 of the split is exhibiting mid-upper G2G.

I've never been a fan of stations taking viewer reports of tornadoes, espeically when the storm appears to be weakening on each successive sweep. I'm trying to figure out why this guy isn't showing a velocity display, that would actually be useful to confirm the probability of viewer-reported tornadoes and to show the home viewers exactly where the rotation is. A zoomed in, pixilated shot of reflectivity is pretty much useless to illustrate the urgency IMO.

I laugh at the TV stations and their "Super-Dooper Fantastico Turbo Z-20000 Doppler Radar" all the time, partly because I don't believe I've ever yet actually seen velocity displayed on air. "Hey DOOFUS, that's not even "Doppler", it's reflectivity!"

Anyway, Dave caught a nice w/c as it passed near Athens AL....just before it went TOR warned. Oh well. Dark now, so he's heading home to Huntsville where he'll ride everything out once it gets there.

i have a feeling that all this rain is pretty much goin to kill the chances for further development into mid-tn. even though the spc just issued a new tornado watch until 4 am. we may get one or two more decent storms but the outbrake is over for middle TN

Latest report is 11 dead, it appears most of those are in Sumner county. I saw the Louisville tornado on a webcam for a television station, it doesn't appear the damage was to substanial. At least from intial reports.

Back