2016-04-26 EVENT: TX/OK/KS

The big story today could be hail. The SPC SARS hail size (experimental forecast) is already off the scale at >4" for areas in western OK and the KS/NE border areas. I think the SPC mentioned in an outlook that the moderate risk was based on large hail. Should be some interesting footage later this evening. Stay safe everyone, the season is just beginning.

What a difference a day makes. Wow. 12Z RAOBS show loaded gun scenario, with insane lapse rates (8.8 mid level on 12Z OUN) and nearly 4000 SBCAPE. HRRR is blowing up storms in SW OK and there seems to be a surface low now over the TX Panhandle near Childress. Today may be a really good day in SW OK and Central OK.

Although, the crapvection this morning and the cloud cover may dampen things a bit. I agree that the 12z sounding looks impressive and the HRRR is blowing up convection as well to. The caveat to that is HRRR is quickly transitioning the convection to a more linear, LEWP pattern. On a funny note, the thunderstorm outline on the convective outlook looks like Gonzo the Great.

Northeast Kansas outflow boundary OFB appears to have separated from the warm front WF. An OFB on its own is one of my favorite targets because it is not subject to the significantly cooler north side of a WF. While upper level winds are meridional over Kansas, the backed low levels still help the chaser cause. Even with the rapidly evolving situation southern Plains I still like the OFB just east of the dry line DL in Kansas.

Central Oklahoma midday convection is not a problem at all. In fact it should lay down an outflow boundary. Should not be a cool pool with the small cells. No cool pool is favorable for more severe, but will keep the OFB subtle. If the late day shortwave coming out of AZ/NM can promote a mesolow, the locally backed winds and Oklahoma OFB could provide locally higher low level helicity.

North Texas will have less meridional flow at the upper levels when the AZ/NM wave ejects aloft. Also in North Texas the LLJ will not be impacted by earlier convection. Storm relative helicity should be robust in North Texas. Three targets may spread out all the chasers, but it is a messy set-up overall. Be safe and good luck!

Looks like multiple corridors of severe (including some significant) will develop later this afternoon into tonight. Highest confidence based on my analysis is near the triple point/warm front in north-central to northeast Kansas and from northwest Texas into southwest Oklahoma. Any isolated storms forming elsewhere could also rapidly intensify, posing the most significant tornado risk if they fire between 22-02z and can remain discrete.

I'll be playing the triple point today.

I am at work today so don't have time to look at too many different things and do an in-depth analysis, but it looks like the 12z NAM moved the surface low significantly south, from KS into OK. I am actually liking areas south of the Red River better - sharper dryline, slightly better oriented 500mb flow, better LLJ, good EHI and SIGTOR parameters compared to elsewhere. Northern play seems to have fallen apart on that model run. HRRR model looks like a mess of convection by 00z in OK, KS and NE but at least looks like what may be a broken line of supercells in TX. Just some quick observations FWIW but looking forward to seeing what others think.

Just quick comment. Can't make USA chasing this year BUT; Followed this thread since it started.
Agreed some potential for isolated tornado events (and some will occur) from north central KS down to central TX overnight.
TP agreed best target zone for those that can get there!
In addition to this the continued conditions are reminiscent of past similar set ups where severe weather initially developing directly on the TP but VERY rapidly ejecting eastward along the warm front at a pace!
So identifying the TP using surface data will be essential. It is then just as important to quantify rapid propagation eastward which may well deliver the strongest cell of the day. The shift toward maybe Topeka could occur much quicker than we realise? (subject to HRRR update)
PS. Just my opinion. Wish I was there! Stay safe and good luck guys.

Last edited:
Interesting watching multiple level velocity scans of the **initial** storms as they go through their life cycles. You can really see the damage being done by unfavorable mid-and-lower level shear. Not sure if this will continue through the evening (especially further south) but it's keeping everything civilized ATM.

Wow...even thought there were numerous red flags for this event, I'm somewhat surprised by the epic-ness of the bust (just glad I couldn't chase!)--even the warm sector storms are falling apart. Storm mode obviously was the single biggest detriment. Hopefully the night time stuff will behave...

Wow...even thought there were numerous red flags for this event, I'm somewhat surprised by the epic-ness of the bust (just glad I couldn't chase!)--even the warm sector storms are falling apart. Storm mode obviously was the single biggest detriment. Hopefully the night time stuff will behave...
Seems to be one of the biggest busts I can remember...so of course I was chasing :)

Reminds me a lot of 4/26/09 which was a high risk bust...

I was pretty convinced the hail was going to verify until I saw the 00Z special sounding from OUN. With the VBV being far worse than even the models showed I started to really question the hail threat.

I think it probably verified in KS. But the hail threat, tor threat, PDS watch, etc didn't verify, hail maybe borderline in OK west of I35.

I think this was a doomed forecast for several reasons - not to blame any specific entity. It was the first potentially big event of the year and the momentum from the initial "blockbuster" forecast seemed to never go away. The models had some issues, although there were hints of a bust. I could not find a "wow" hodograph forecast 24 hours in advance of this event so fortunately I blew it off.

Good points! I would not have wanted to be in the shoes of SPC outlook forecasters on Monday. Very difficult and potentially dangerous to downgrade for an event like this, especially how much it was hyped. I have faced similar situations on a more local scale as a former NWS forecaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack mobile app

I think this was a doomed forecast for several reasons - not to blame any specific entity. It was the first potentially big event of the year and the momentum from the initial "blockbuster" forecast seemed to never go away. The models had some issues, although there were hints of a bust. I could not find a "wow" hodograph forecast 24 hours in advance of this event so fortunately I blew it off.

Good points! I would not have wanted to be in the shoes of SPC outlook forecasters on Monday. Very difficult and potentially dangerous to downgrade for an event like this, especially how much it was hyped. I have faced similar situations on a more local scale as a former NWS forecaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack mobile app
Guys allow me to disagree a bit...
I don't think SPC gets caught up in the momentum game, I have seen enough of their forecasts over the years that I think the "hype" or momentum game doens't impact them like some would think. Do they get it wrong sometimes? Sure! I have two friends who work at NWS, one has worked closely with SPC in the past and they have robust conversations...more robust than we do about the systems that are coming through.

I would urge you to remember that a 10% risk for tornadoes is really only a slight risk, yes its now "enhanced" but that's basically a high end slight risk. The moderate risk was really for hail. Instability was forecast to be significant, VBV profiles were problems, these were mentioned by SPC and by OUN in several discussions as possibly limiting the severe threat. Rolling into the event there was still sufficient evidence for a 10% tor area and for the hail risk as well. Additionally yesterday morning two unforeseen complicating factors made an appearance mid morning...gravity waves pushed into OK and convection went up fairly early in both KS and OK. There was a possibility for gravity wave interaction and/or boundary interaction later in the day providing an enhanced risk for any discreet cell that interacted with them. So by late morning, the risk parameters were still justified, at least in my mind.

It wasn't until information started coming in early/mid afternoon that I started to question (and probably SPC too) that there would be any discreet tors in OK at all. The VBV was beginning to manifest itself more directly and significantly than the models had anticipated. By the time OUN sent up a special sounding late afternoon/early evening and those results showed substantial backing I pretty much knew it was over for my area anyway other than a few spinups on the front edge of the line.

The 10% tor was justified, the hatched area...I dunno, in KS yes, in OK? Easy to armchair it now...the mod risk all along was for hail not tors. The only real error I see was the PDS watch issuance. I was stunned by three things, 1) that it was so HUGE, 2) that it had such high probs for EF2 tors and 3) that it was PDS...that as far as I can tell is the only real "error" that I can see. Overall given the model issues (i.e., terrible performance) and complicating day of issues, I thought SPC did fine.

The hype was coming from a couple of TV channels in particular that made it sound like a major outbreak was going to take place even when the data AND SPC didn't say that.

IMO, this was a pretty signfiicant forecast bust for anyone who was saying things looked scary or dangerous or who thought a high risk was warranted. As can clearly be seen on the second page of this thread, I was highly skeptical of the nature of this setup from a long way out, including not hopping on the hype train last Tuesday when the 12Z GFS came in and first showed a pattern that, in the past, has been associated with significant tornado outbreaks. I think anyone who is minimally biased about severe weather and chasing and who took a serious look at the details should have, and in most cases actually did, recognize the high level of uncertainty and poor predictability of this event, and thus were hesitant to hype it up and suggest an outbreak or significant severe weather was going to occur. Events like this are also the reason I don't get excited about ANY forecast that suggests sig severe if it's more than 3 or 4 days out still.

Here are the signs I saw that this event was anything but a slam dunk outbreak, and additionally, may have ended up being a null event:
-Significant and persistent disagreement among various model cores (NAM, GFS, ECMWF, FIM, SREF, etc), regardless of run-to-run consistency within any given model core. This is a HUGE red flag when it comes to predictability or certainty.
-Consistently unrealistic representation of PBL structure in the GFS (i.e., skin deep moisture with essentially no mixed layer above it). The 00Z OUN sounding verifies the poor physics representation in the PBL:
OUN_verify.png
Yes, the PBL was not perfectly mixed in the real world, and the real rich moisture did drop off pretty quickly with height, but GFS forecasts were showing much more significant near-surface dewpoint lapse rates.
-Consistent overforecasting of surface moisture by the NAM. It overdid moisture on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. The SREF, which is typically less biased (and usually the NAM is near or above the top of the SREF distribution), also overforecast moisture. The overforecast on Sunday was quite minor, but Crook (1996) is a great reference for how important a difference of just 1 g/kg in mixing ratio means in terms of convective activity. And we saw what that meant south of basically U.S. 400 Sunday. On Monday and Tuesday, NAM forecasts of 2-m dewpoint were generally about 5 F too high.
-The "veer-back" wind profile in the low-levels was persistent in many models. You cannot ignore this feature when it shows up and just assume that "trough" means the wind profile will just magically look great.

Between the various model cores, the ingredients for a significant severe weather outbreak were there. But that is irrelevant if those ingredients do not occur together in space and time. Who cares if you have 4000 MLCAPE if it's displaced from the area with 40+ kts of 0-6 km shear? Who cares if you have THOSE two ingredients together if there is no trigger mechanism? Who cares if you have great deep layer shear if there is no low-level shear? Sure, sometimes high cape can make up for weak shear in certain environments, but I get the feeling that some people use that statement to wishcast when shear appears too weak for supercells.

I personally disagreed with SPC's forecasts from day 2 and on. @Mike Marz asked me in chat what I would've done for the day 2 outlook, and I told him I would've kept an "enhanced" risk category (although I probably could've been talked into putting a very small "moderate" in NC KS). I think the level of uncertainty should've precluded a "moderate" risk. I was bothered that the language in the convective outlook that mentioned high risk was included, because it made me think the forecasters wanted to go with a "high" risk, which I think would've been an even bigger mistake. I also saw some AFDs from the Wichita and Norman offices calling for a tornado outbreak that I thought was too strongly worded. I very much disagreed with the issuance of a PDS tornado watch. It was never obvious that the ingredients for widespread significant tornadoes was present or would come together when that watch was issued (and that was a huge watch in terms of areal coverage). The veer-back pattern was clearly evident in VADs from KTLX, and later on, KFDR. Coupled with the fact that dewpoints were struggling to stay in the upper 60s and generally weren't making it to 70, and lack of a real focused dryline south of I-40 (and even uncertainties in the identity of the boundary north of that), I think a watch of that magnitude was a mistake. I personally told my chase partners yesterday I would've gone something more like 70-40, and even that was a huge overforecast.

A few summary points:
-'S'-shaped hodographs (i.e., those with veer-back in the lowest few kilometers) suck because they screw up the dynamics and how wind shear generates the vorticity that is converted into a mesocyclone that defines supercells. Storm modes are typically messy when S-shaped hodographs are present, even if 0-6 km shear exceeds the typical threshold value for supercells (40 kts). At the same time, however, an S-shaped hodograph does not mean tornadoes can't or won't occur. If there is enough low-level shear, you can still get tornadoes with such hodographs. It's just harder for the atmosphere to produce them.
-Never assume that things will just come together because the large scale pattern is broadly analogous to that from a past case that was associated with a severe weather outbreak or significant severe weather events.
-Details always matter. Sometimes the smallest detail can make the difference between an outbreak and a non-event.
-Neither a single model run, nor two or three consecutive model runs confirm or deny that any event will or will not happen.
-Don't get hung up on one model core. It's 2016 and the meteorological community, both worldwide, and in the US, has advanced dramatically since the "old days" of the 80s, 90s, and even the 2000s. We have access to more information from more meteorological centers around the world than we ever have, and each one of them has legitimate NWP forecast systems that can provide useful and important information. For example, don't ignore the GFS just because you don't like what it did "that one time" or just because it has one particular aspect of the forecast wrong. That doesn't mean every other aspect of its forecast is also wrong, or that every future forecast it ever makes will always be wrong.
-This last point is part of the point above, but is so important I had to give it its own separate dash: take advantage of ensembles. Ensembles are the way of the future (actually, they've been the best way of doing things since operational ensemble forecasting began in the early 1990s, but they've been improving on the mesoscale and storm-scale rapidly over the last 10 years), and everyone on this forum would do themselves a lot of good to learn how to use them and use them consistently when looking at upcoming weather events, whether severe convective storms, tropical cyclones, winter storms, or whatever else. Ensembles offer a dimension of information that deterministic models can't, because they estimate uncertainty and can show you how widely different the future atmospheric state could be if some part of the forecast process happened to be wrong (and forecast error is always present, but from different aspects of the forecast process).

Last edited:
Guys allow me to disagree a bit...
I don't think SPC gets caught up in the momentum game, I have seen enough of their forecasts over the years that I think the "hype" or momentum game doens't impact them like some would think. Do they get it wrong sometimes? Sure! I have two friends who work at NWS, one has worked closely with SPC in the past and they have robust conversations...more robust than we do about the systems that are coming through....

... The hype was coming from a couple of TV channels in particular that made it sound like a major outbreak was going to take place even when the data AND SPC didn't say that.

I would never accuse SPC of getting caught up in "hype" but I do think "momentum" (or, more accurately, continuity) does play a role. Not saying that it was necessarily a factor in this particular event (or non-event), but I believe it does exist. Keeping continuity relative to an earlier forecast - despite uncertainty or signs of a shifting outcome in the models - is mentioned all the time in local office AFDs. While I haven't ever seen similarly explicit mention in SPC discussions of going with continuity, how could it not be a factor there like it is in local NWS offices?

Back