2005 National Storm Chaser Convention

I'll leave GRI at about 12:00PM Central and should be arriving in Aurora around 5:00PM Mountain.

Safe trip to everyone and hope to see you tomorrow night!

Regards,

Mike

I get out of work at 9, so I won't see anyone tonight! :lol: I'll be there first thing in the morning! Welcome to the Mile High gang! Enjoy the weather.. you got lucky! :lol: :lol:

Da admin is in tha house! I'm laying low in my hotel room here in Denver; I may come once I check out the agenda. Shannon & Gabriel are sitting this one out as they have plenty to do down in Austin.

Regarding the question about Forecast School, no problems with late signups or extra people. You can do that at my vendor table Saturday. I only have materials for about 50 people but I figure only the last-minute latecomers will have any problem with that.

Tim

We're currently on break before the dinner banquet and thus far, its been an incredible conference. Tim Samara's videos once again blew everyone away. That in itself was well worth the registration costs. Tim Marshall once again humored us with his tales of the 2004 season and showed us some of the best 2004 had to offer. Other talks were awesome and with more to come, I'm sure you'll hear more about all the awesome stuff going on here in Denver. And the weather... PERFECT!

Just sitting here waiting for my flight, wanted to say the Denver conference was once again an awesome experience! Tim Samaras...I would have flown up to Denver all over again just for your video. Unbelievable! And Jon Davies...excellent, Jim Edds's hurricane stuff...Ken Langford's green flash & optical effects...too many great talks the weekend just flew by!

What a great conference this was! I'd like to extend a congratulations to Scott Blair/Jason Politte for winning the video contest, Rand Hicks for placing second (no matter how crazy the video was), and Brian Morganti for placing third. A big thanks to everyone who made this convention possible!!

Ah, where to begin, where to begin. This was a packed weekend with many great speakers. Most memorable for me was Blake Naftel's compilation of chase video humor, but maybe that's just because it was one of the last presentations. Jon Davies updated us on forecasting parameters, Bill Axelson told of many future technologies on the horizon chasers will be using, Richard Keen filled us in on the ins and outs of producing the weather stamp, and Chris Collura / BNVN had a lot of good 2004 hurricane video.... I could go on; it was all great.

I can't comment on the banquet and later sessions Saturday as I had to finish up material for the forecasting school.

Driving to the airport at 4:30 pm we saw some potent elevated showers, leaving the airport seemingly vulnerable underneath its dark canopy. I bet some people got jostled around flying out. Much of this has either moved off or died down with the loss of diurnal heating.

Special thanks to Roger Hill, Tim Samaras, and Bill Axelson for going out of their way to ensure a smooth forecasting class, and of course for hosting this event. And to the hotel... this was a darn good venue and between the hotel service & food it was way above my expectations.

Also thanks to Peggy Willenberg & Melanie Metz I saw a tantalizing galley copy of an upcoming storm chasing book by an author whose name escapes me. The book is kind of like Richard Bedard's "In the Shadow of the Tornado" but bigger and almost like a who's-who of chasing.

I am here sitting at the airport quite early for my flight... the ticket counter wait was much worse than security, unbelievably. I am beat!

Tim

Just got back to Norman. Once again, Roger, Brad, and Tim S outdid themselves with a fantastic weekend! The speakers were all great, video was incredible, and it was great being with old friends and making new ones! Thanks to all concerned...it was great!

Angie

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez

Also thanks to Peggy Willenberg & Melanie Metz I saw a tantalizing galley copy of an upcoming storm chasing book by an author whose name escapes me. The book is kind of like Richard Bedard's \"In the Shadow of the Tornado\" but bigger and almost like a who's-who of chasing.

I'm guessing that would be Mark Svenvold's "Big Weather," which will be released May 10. You can pre-order now on Amazon. Several chasers contributed to this book, including myself. I've not seen any of it, but another chaser told me it looks like a decent representation of what chasing is about.

Back