2005 National Storm Chaser Convention

This was the first convention I went to. I had a good time. Met some new people as well as a couple I already knew. I got to meet Blake Naftel, Jeff Synder, Gabe Garfield, Dan Robinson, a couple people from california, and a chaser from missouri. I also talked to Rocky Rascovich and a couple of other chasers I've already met. Hopefully next year I'll have my video from the past couple years and this year edited so I can show it. I brought a photo album but never brought it down. It was nice meeting all of you :)

I really enoyed the conference! I wanted to say that I really enjoyed meeting and talking with a lot of you (including Chris Hayes (and his chase partner Harold), Rory Groves, Blake Naftel, Bobby Eddins, Mike Cohen, Greg Forbes, Dave Crowley, and Mike Deason). For those of you that I missed, I hope to meet you out on the plains!

Gabe

Could these be some of the folks that spurred some of the public and law-enforcement outcry, and the chaser-bashing media editorials last spring?

That video reminded me of the "Red Green" show. I guess their video was to storm chasing as the "Red-Green" show was to "this old house"

It looked like it was shot with an old tube type VHS camcorder.

Charles that was funny...I turned around and you and Mike were having a camera war :)

I had a great time meeting everybody, so many cool people at the conference. Our group seemed to double since last year!

btw Bill, Jason & Scott - did you guys survive those Conoco taquitos that you dared each other to eat? I opted for the Tropicana Twister...survival is important to me :)

btw Bill, Jason & Scott - did you guys survive those Conoco taquitos that you dared each other to eat? I opted for the Tropicana Twister...survival is important to me

Susan, I survived quite well. No ill effects except I was very dehydrated. I think there is a ton of salt in those things. Probably keeps the mold away.

I'll be posting some pics when I get a chance. Film takes longer.

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com

Originally posted by Susan Strom
btw Bill, Jason & Scott - did you guys survive those Conoco taquitos that you dared each other to eat? I opted for the Tropicana Twister...survival is important to me :)

Uggghhhh . . . still reeling from it. :lol:

Jason

Uggghhhh . . . still reeling from it.

Jason, hoping you're feeling better! My system is getting WAY too old to eat like that anymore.

The video that Blake did was fantastic! I'll bet we can get him to come back for next year, so PLEASE keep a watch out for some of those funny moments for 2005..and we'll do it again! As far as TAP-2 goes...well.....I do have some helpful suggestions for TAP-3.

Awesome job Blake!!

Tim

PS: Thanks for all the very kind words regarding my presentation. This is a GREAT group here!

had a great time

I had a great time at the convention. That was my first one, and won't be the last. If there is anything closer to the upper MS valley that I could attend, I would love to know, because for me to get out to Denver is now killing me with all of the switching of shifts that I had to do to get it off. I have worked 82 hours since getting back from Denver starting Monday night at 10pm!
I will probably be in DesMoines at the end of March and hopefully see some of you there as well. If not, I will be out on the plains between May 7-20th for my annual chase vacation.
Chris

The convention was terrific! Thanks again to the organizers, Roger, Tim and David. The presentations were top notch as always. Blake's chasing humor video was great. I just love those clips of Rich Thompson and Roger Edwards. Tim Samaras' video was more incredible than I imagined it would be. I am very much looking forward to the National Geo special that will feature his footage from June 11th, 2004. I don't know when that will air. Does anyone else know?

Yes, the book to be released May 10th is "Big Weather, Chasing Tornadoes in the Heart Of America". Mark Svenvold is an incredible author. He spent 2004 interviewing top researchers in the field, chasing with Matt Biddle, and interviewing a good mix of chasers. He sent advanced review copies to Peggy and I so we have had the opportunity to read the whole book. He delves deep into the minds and characters of the storm chasing community. The novel is very philosophical and humorous at the same time. Different than any other storm chasing book I have read. I highly recommend it (and no, I'm not being paid to promote it :) ). FYI: You might need your dictionary while reading this book. Peggy has the largest vocabulary I know and she even had to look up a couple words! It's always fun to learn words like "eschatological".

Mark will be touring with the book starting May 16th.

I have posted some photos from the convention at:
http://www.twistersisters.com/2005DenverConvention.htm

Great to see everyone there!
Mel

Back