2005 National Storm Chaser Convention

What can I say that hasn't already been said. It was great to see everyone this weekend. Tim, Roger and Co always put on a great convention!

Bring on Spring! :D

This was my first convention year, and I had an absolute blast meeting everyone I did. Big kudos to Roger, his wife, Karyn, Tim and David for their excellent work this year.

Tim's probe video was so intense! Doesn't matter how many say it, it can't be said too many times. Blake's chaser humor did have everyone in complete stitches...that TAP2 interview was priceless. :lol:

Even though we missed some stuff sleeping in both mornings, what we did see was fantastic. Forbes, Marshall, Blair, Samaras, Bluestein, and Rasmussen's talks were very informative and well done. Heck, I even enjoyed the cloud stamp talk. :D

Graham and I missed the controversial video....I'm not sure that's a shame, from what everyone's been saying.

Some of my favorite time at the convention was spent hanging out and talking with everyone during breaks, meals, or after hours...hehe, the night manager tried kicking a bunch of us out of the atrium/bar area! Such trouble makers we were, lmao. We were out there until close to 3am, the only thing that would have made it more fun was to have more of you hanging out with us.

I enjoyed meeting the many of you I did...Kyle, Susan, Scott, Jeff, Peggy, Melanie, Mike D, Dave C and gang, etc, etc, etc (lot of people, I don't want to miss anyone, so I'll stop there!). It was great to put faces to names. Definitely looking forward to next year's! :D :D

Not much I can add to what has already been said. Kanani and I had a great time. especially considering the condition we were both in. I had been fighting the flu and Kanani had surgery Wednesday on her foot and was wheeelchair bound and in pain.

I do want to thank David &Gayla D., Graham B., and Dave Crowley for all the help and great company this weekend along with all the other folks there who were helpfull to Kanani.

I enjoyed meeting many of the folks I have talked to online. I have seen many of you in the field before but never had a chance to stop and talk.
The banquet meal was very enjoyable with Mike U (I want your camera mike :wink: ) and Jon Davies among others at our table. We will be back next year and should be able to mingle and particpate alot more than we could this year.

As for Tim S's video... all I can say is it was the most amazing video I have ever seen and it gives me a whole new respect to the power of what we chase.

And the best part of all was a small lightning show in the Tx panhandle as we got back close to amarillo sunday night.

We decided you and Kanani were the most dedicated chasers there, Jay! Absolutely great seeing you two again....did Kanani's balloon make it home? :lol:

Originally posted by Kyle Flannigan
Blake Naftel's segment, which included the 'TAP2' video, had everyone laughing 'till they cried!

Blake...I almost lost it I was laughing so hard during your interview of the TAP guy.

The TAP guy Shawn or Shane (don't remember his name) was standing there in his driveway...Blake points to the spray-painted washing machine and asks what the letters T.A.P. stood for. He said "Tornado Project". Blake says "What does the 'A' stand for? TAP guy calmly expains, "The 'A' isn't really part of it."

You may as well have named the interview "This is TAP"...just leave out the "Spinal" because you gave Rob Reiner a run for his money! Wiping the tears from my eyes, I was waiting for that guy to show you where the amplifier goes to 11!

LOL...my favorite part of that was when he loaded it up....and the vent cover/fan thing tried to fall off!

That was actually Blake Naftel doing that interview, just FYI! Very Happy

It was, my apologies.

Very funny though, especially the part when the guy was demonstrating how he loaded his very sensitive probe into the back of his pickup. :)

Regards,

Mike

Originally posted by Susan Strom+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susan Strom)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kyle Flannigan
Blake Naftel's segment, which included the 'TAP2' video, had everyone laughing 'till they cried!

Blake...I almost lost it I was laughing so hard during your interview of the TAP guy.

The TAP guy Shawn or Shane (don't remember his name) was standing there in his driveway...Blake points to the spray-painted washing machine and asks what the letters T.A.P. stood for. He said "Tornado Project". Blake says "What does the 'A' stand for? TAP guy calmly expains, "The 'A' isn't really part of it."

You may as well have named the interview "This is TAP"...just leave out the "Spinal" because you gave Rob Reiner a run for his money! Wiping the tears from my eyes, I was waiting for that guy to show you where the amplifier goes to 11![/b]

One thing that really makes that so funny is that this guy seems to be COMPLETELY SERIOUS about his probe! What was one of the names he had come up with? Tornado Acupuncture Project? ROFLMAO

When he was loading it into the truck bed you could see under it. You figured maybe he would at least have the sense to take the washer motor out so it didnt weigh 125 lbs. and be so hard to load. On second though anybody that came up with that contraption wouldnt have the sense to do anything :lol:

The funniest part to me was after he loaded it and tied it down with bungy cords he took off out of his driveway with the TAP2 swaying side to side like Moore was being hit again. tires sqealing and all.

Blake did a great job of making us all laugh.

Gayla... no the ballon did not survive the trip. must have been crushed by all the stuff in back.

Originally posted by David Drummond
One thing that really makes that so funny is that this guy seems to be COMPLETELY SERIOUS about his probe! What was one of the names he had come up with? Tornado Acupuncture Project? ROFLMAO

More like Tornado Assenine Project!!!!! :roll:

Graham's got a load of them...mine didn't seem to make the transfer from camera to computer, dang it all. :evil:

Posted from Roger Hill

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to write a BIG THANKS to all that attended the convention this weekend! We totalled nearly 200 folks this year, up from 100 last year. All the presenters were astounding and did a fantastic job!

For those who sent a tape to me for video night or for the BNVN video contest, please let me know if you want your tape back. Otherwise I will burn them all in my fireplace this weekend :)

Keep watching for new news for the 2006 convention which I promise will knock your socks off!!! Just one bit of a teaser, we will be doing breakout sessions with your favorite met or chaser on some awesome topics ! There will be MUCH more news that will push the convention nationwide!!!!

Roger Hill
Tim Samaras
David Drummond

Following an enjoyable time in Denver (including the sunny 60 degree atmosphere), arrived back in West Michigan to a cocktail of conditions including freezing rain, sleet, and snow. Was wonderful conversing with friends and meeting new faces as always. Wish I had been feeling slightly better while attending (was under the weather for two of the three days); but certainly am ready to put in some high quality barnstorming across the great plains in 2005. This convention certainly set the pre-chase mood. All presentations were excellent and I think my chase video viewing quota has exceeded it's boundaries... lots of interesting video! (Tim Samaras' video was spell bounding... "wow" would be putting it lightly).

Yes, the TAP2 encounter was certainly one of the more unique storm chase related experiences I've had to date... and was happy to share it with everyone. Thank you for the kind words.

..Blake..

Back