1/13/05 FCST: Deep South and Great Lakes

The SPC has issued a slight risk for the deep south states of LA, MS AND AL for severe weather.

Yes, talk about a MI-Wishcaster, which I can be at times - but the SPC has given southeast lower Michigan a 5% risk for damaging winds, along with the rest of the Ohio Valley. Can anybody shed some light on this situation also?

Discuss 1/13/05:

..Nick..

Originally posted by nickgrillo
The SPC has issued a slight risk for the deep south states of LA, MS AND AL for severe weather.

Yes, talk about a MI-Wishcaster, which I can be at times - but the SPC has given southeast lower Michigan a 5% risk for damaging winds, along with the rest of the Ohio Valley. Can anybody shed some light on this situation also?

Discuss 1/13/05:

..Nick..

The wind fields across the Great Lakes will increase dramatically to nearly 60-70KNTS in the first 3K feet of the atmosphere. Combine this with the very strong forcing around 12-1800Z, and you got a favorable setup for a few thunderless damaging wind events... Not really a big deal at this point (thus no SLGT risk).

Of note: Earlier this afternoon, there was some pretty impressive storms (for Jan.) near GRR with 55DBz cores -- Most likely small hail producers, and since they were thunderstorms, with higher echo tops -- I would rule out sleet. Still interesting though, because OBS showed temperatures in the mid 30's attm.

Actually L2 data showed a 68.5dbZ return just on the north side of GRR! Same agreement - looks like gusty winds and/or small hail could be an issue but nothing that exciting.

Back