05/10/05: TALK: NE/IA/IL

I'm looking at the SPC Mesoanalysis page... and there is a small area right where I am, in extreme SW IA, SE NE, and NW MO, where there is currently no cap. The cap in Kansas also looks like it is becoming weaker. Hopefully it won't be too much longer and things could start to pop.

I'm hoping for the best as well down here in extreme SW Iowa, near Nebraska City. I am currently at the Sapp Bros. Truck Stop at I-29 and IA-2 where the CIN is nil according to the latest SPC Hourly Mesoanalysis Data, just met up with Mike Peregrine who went over to Nebraska City to look for some Wi-Fi, but I'll be here at this truck stop for a while, hoping in the best sense.

I'm in Central City, programming various routes back to dryline/triple point targets for tomorrow....lol. I moved east becase the low level flow was terrible west, but the cap may trump all anyway. Cu along the front are better looking and lower than LCLs fields might indicate. Came a long way to give up too early; still think something could go when the LLJ arrives shortly. Won't wait much past 0z however, as tomorrow can't be neglected.

Luck all,

Amos

At the library in Neb City after talking with Ben ... so the cap may get the better of us, eh ... won't be the first time this has happened to me in Nebraska City ...

Plan to hang here and keep an eye on things till 0z. CU are looking pretty sharp just to the north - seem to be firming up on satellite a bit. The last couple of sat images are showing what look to possibly be gravity waves off to the east of here, over western IA. Plan to hang around Neb City to Red Oak, IA in good convergence to see if anything is able to break through. CAPE is also pretty enormous around here. SRH looks good to the northwest of OAX, near Columbus. Looking like something might be starting up out in western KS (naturally) ... but not willing to give up hope just yet.

The dewpoint here has risen dramatically over the past few hours, and now reads 64F. The juice is starting to make it! Temperature is still 91F. Now we just need convection to start firing....

:wink:

Getting ready to head out the door here from Seward. Plan to hit the 81/30 intersection and improvise the rest from there. Hollingshead and Randy Chaimberlain were pleased to hear about the MD, as they sit just south of Columbus.

Let's go get it, boys. :twisted:

Cu becoming more crisp looking to the NE of OAX... and still very light convection occuring on Hastings radar near NE/KS border...Will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of hours here...

According to the local TV weatherman and the SPC MSD... it sounds like the best area will be in the vicinity of the Platte River in Nebraska. Storms should start developing around, if not slightly before, 7 PM.

Good luck everyone... :)

The cap is already beggining to erode, and I expect the radar to light up like a Christmas tree by 6:30 PM CDT or sooner...

I've decided to head north closer to the Platte River as the CU up there continue to show signs of improvement - - - still believe we will likely see initiation before too long.

Back