05/10/05: TALK: NE/IA/IL

Echo tops to 50,000 feet on the Nebraska cell. Cells trained to the southwest appear to be weakening slightly as this cell has taken control.

As of the past radarframe the tornado-warned storms west of Grand Island have RAPIDLY intensified...are probably producung nickel to golf ball hail at this point along with the tornado threat.

Another developing supercell has prompted a Severe Warning in Shelby County, Iowa.

Yet a third, smaller storm on the tail end is taking shape south of Holdredge. The most intense storm however is the large supercell west of Grand Island that we have been talking about.

Tornado warnings for both Kearney and Franklin counties in Nebraska. Scrath my comment about those storms weakening.

Nice overshooting top on the VIS SAT on that Howard CO supercell. St. Paul will see rain and hail soon. Back side of the cell is still about 30 minutes away. This is the area where SRH are near 500.

People on the primary cell should watch out to your southwest, two more tornado warned cells are trained in your direction.

Hailcore really intensifying on the Howard Co. Supercell with DBZs over 65-70 means baseball hail is LIKELY!!

Chasers may want to stay well clear of the precip core of this storm if they value their windshields and even their lives.

The storm(s) in Phelps county appears to be quite weak per radar (dbz's generally in the 45-50 range), though I see in a new SvS out of Hastings that another tornado has been reported on the ground 4mi SE of Loomis. This is in addition to another tornado reported in Phelps county a little while ago... All from "storms" with dbzs in the 40-45 range...

EDIT: Funnel cloud reported by spotters now with the storm with a 35 dbz core southwest of Holdredge. If that thing produces, that will be the most pathetic looking tornadic storm I have EVER seen on radar...

EDIT AGAIN: The storm southwest of St. Paul appears to be turning right in the last few scans. If so, Central City appears to be in the path, or maybe Grand Island if it turns harder.

EDIT 3: Cell is looking very HPish right now. Yuck. Nice hook though that looks to pass a few miles north of Grand Island.

And while those pathetic storms tornado our large supercell appears to be going into appendage-hook mode...it will likely produce a possibly significant tornado event in the near future.

Dang

There now appear to be two well defined convergence couplets on the base velocity scan from the supercell in SC Nebraska. Cyclic mesocyclones looks like a dream chase no matter where you are on that thing. Looks to be approaching HP size, which makes sense considering the marginal storm relative mid-level winds. I'm really looking forward to seeing the first hand reports from stormtrackers.

Originally posted by Alex Lamers
Reported multiple tornadoes now.

* AT 722 PM CDT...WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED MULTIPLE TORNADOS 1
MILES EAST OF MINDEN...OR ABOUT 14 MILES SOUTHEAST OF KEARNEY...
MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

I'm wondering if these are more quick 'spin-up, spin-down' type of events... Here's another statement similar to the above, but for the HP-ish supercell nw of Grand Island:

AT 727 PM CDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED TORNADOES 5 EAST OF
WOOD RIVER AND JUST NORTHWEST OF GRAND ISLAND. ANOTHER TORNADO WAS
LOCATED NEAR CAIRO...OR ABOUT 14 MILES NORTHWEST OF GRAND
ISLAND...MOVING EAST AT 15 MPH.

Well defined hook

WELL DEFINED hook echo on our large supercell now on radar.....beautiful hook. Looks also like heavy, intense wraparound is likely as this has certainly gone HP... looking forward to reports as well...

Back