2019-04-10 EVENT: KS/NE

It's hard to ignore an intense surface low tracking across Kansas in April (sub-984mb and possibly as low as 980mb), however this setup will likely fall short of any significant, widespread severe weather event for a variety of reasons.

Place a 984mb low over central Kansas during peak heating in April with strong surface heating in the warm sector supporting 1,500 to 2,500+J/kg CAPE up and down, immediately ahead of a dryline, along with strong, veering with height, wind profiles. It sounds good, but boundary layer moisture is lacking. Sure, dew-points may possibly reach 60F in parts of Kansas, but with very warm boundary layer temperatures (80s F near the dryline and near 80 in the warm sector), there is going to be a substantial temperature to dew-point spread. Past tornado outbreaks in the central Plains in early to mid-April tend to feature higher dew-points and somewhat lower actual temperatures. Case in point 4/14/12, which saw dew-points in the mid-60s, at least a solid 5F warmer than what is expected tomorrow.

What does this lack of moisture mean? Look at forecast soundings up and down the dryline/warm sector from central Kansas to the Oklahoma border. You will find convective temperatures near 90F and relatively dry profiles up to at least 700mb. Maximum temperatures are unlikely to get much higher than the lower 80s here. The vast majority of models show no convective initiation southeast of the surface low and with good reason. The only model that shows sustained convection taking place here is the 12z NSSL WRF, which doesn't seem to be supported by the data. It has similar thermodynamic profiles to most other models, so it's not like it's drastically overdoing temperatures and/or dew-points.

Example of a 12z 3km NAM forecast sounding at 00z Thursday in south-central Kansas:
sounding_SC_KS.gif

How about farther north near the triple point? This is where convective initiation is more probable, due to a combination of better convergence and frontal forcing, as well as moisture quality in the 850-700mb layer. Here, it is likely that convection will develop by mid to late afternoon, but also note the sharp temperature gradient on either side of a warm front that should be draped from north-central Kansas to southeastern Nebraska. Should convection ride the warm front, then there could be a long-lived supercell or two into the early evening.

Near and just north of the front, convection seems likely, but this convection will likely form in, or at least quickly move into, a much more stable near-surface layer. Forecast soundings near the central KS/NE border around 00z Thursday show about 2000 J/kg MUCAPE, but little to no SBCAPE, as surface temperatures will probably be in the 40s/50s. This convection could very well produce large, if not locally significant hail, given elevated instability, steep mid-level lapse rates and large to very large hodographs.

Example of a 12z 3km NAM forecast sounding in far south-central Nebraska at 00z Thursday:
sounding_KS_NE.gif

If one is looking at UH tracks, of course it's reasonable to see a few intense tracks being progged from north-central Kansas into southern Nebraska, but note that most of these tracks are forecast north of the warm front and are associated with hail as the predominant threat.

To summarize:
  • A strong surface low is likely, but low to mid-level moisture will be lacking.
  • Convection is unlikely down the dryline to the south of the low.
  • Elevated convection is likely north of the surface low, but should pose mainly a hail threat.
  • There is a narrow window of opportunity for surface-based convection near the triple point.
Will there be severe thunderstorms? Most likely, yes.

Will there be any tornadoes? It's possible near the triple point, but even there, questions arise with storm movement and if the storms will track near/just southeast of the warm front, or move north into a more stable near-surface layer.

The main limiting factor here is better moisture, especially in the boundary layer. If dew-points were at least 5F warmer, we might be talking about a supercell tornado outbreak, but that is not going to happen, at least not south along/ahead of the dryline.

I am not including Iowa in the threat title, since any severe threat in western portions of the state will be well after dark and associated with elevated convection.

This event is a good example of why looking at severe weather indices alone is usually not a good idea, as a very favorable CAPE/shear overlap does not automatically promise supercell storm development:

Last edited:
The models are severely out to lunch with the warm sector moisture, probably more so than I've seen with any case in recent years. The HRRR's 18z run is the first I've seen with something approximating reality with dewpoints struggling to top 50F in NW KS/SE NE. The flow over the Gulf has yet to get cranking, and dews are maxing out even there at 55F with pockets of mid 40s along the coast. Even with max pooling, 60F is a pipe dream.

I wonder if something has been tweaked with models this year as it's concerning to see such unanimous agreement on fantasy moisture progs. Something to watch out for as the season progresses.

Last edited:
As Quincy pointed out, the models are severely out to lunch with the warm sector moisture, probably more so than I've seen with any case in recent years. The HRRR's 18z run is the first I've seen with something approximating reality with dewpoints struggling to top 50F in NW KS/SE NE. The flow over the Gulf has yet to get cranking, and dews are maxing out even there at 55F with pockets of mid 40s along the coast. Even with max pooling, 60F is a pipe dream.

I wonder if something has been tweaked with models this year as it's concerning to see such unanimous agreement on fantasy moisture progs. Something to watch out for as the season progresses.
I just realized how much drier the HRRR is than the 3km NAM. That's a huge discrepancy of 8-10F. Given that the HRRR has performed well recently with moisture return, I'd heavily lean toward the drier solution. I almost always favor the HRRR over the NAM anyway, but at ~30 hours out, I usually take the HRRR with more of a grain of salt.

Given that moisture would already be lacking even if dew-points hit 60F, struggling to get above the lower 50s would really dampen the hopes for any real surface-based severe thunderstorm threat.One could argue that such an intense surface low could help offset moisture transport concerns, but given that the HRRR is so much drier than the 3km NAM, that's a major red flag.

The 18z HRRR shows some moisture recovery, but it's too little too late. It will be interesting to see how later runs look, but right now I'm shifting toward an even more pessimistic look at this setup.

Edit:
Another major red flag is that the RGEM is also much closer to the HRRR dew-point progs, if not even slightly drier, with dew-points in the mid-40s to lower 50s on either side of the central KS/NE border.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has noticed the issues with some of the models being downright unreasonable with moisture lately. At one point yesterday the NAM (I know it can be too moist sometimes anyway) was advecting mid 50's dews into eastern KS, and then at valid time 23z 10 April it just exploded with mid-upper 60's dew points in northern/eastern KS, some locations suggested as much as a 12F increase in an hour or two. It looked almost like the old precip "bombs" that the GFS liked to spawn if you remember those, except with BL moisture. I have tried to justify that by considering moisture pooling near the boundary, advection, and even evapotranspiration, but I just couldn't find a reason to justify such an intense moisture surge with no apparent source.

Anyway, although recent runs of the NAM/NAM3k have been a bit more realistic with BL moisture, upper 50's-low 60's (F) Td's, the degree of mixing makes me even question that but it seems reasonable. The depth of mixing along the dryline with enhanced convergence near the triple point could certainly be sufficient to help initiate convection, especially with the added help from jet streak exit region processes, but even if storms do develop I'm not convinced they'll be rooted in the boundary-layer, for many of the reasons Quincy and Dan have pointed out. However, even if storms do become surface-based I'm concerned about the effect that evaporative cooling would have on any attempts at tornadogenesis. 18z NAM3k forecast soundings across northern KS are suggesting DCAPE values of 1100-1500. Consistency is there regarding this with both the last several NAM runs and several GFS runs showing similar values. Such shallow moisture and colder/drier air above a warm layer at about 800mb further increase my thinking that downdrafts will be fairly cold/cool. This leads me to be less-than-confident in tornadoes even if storms do become surface-based. Hodos show significant low-level curvature so I would anticipate attempts at tornadogenesis, but the boundary-layer conditions and potential for such cold RFD/outflow make me think that storms would "short out" before a tornado could form, even if it is rooted in the BL.

Edited at 2238cdt: Surface obs at 2200cdt showed mid-30s to 40s Td's across the central plains and you have to look all the way into southeast Texas to start seeing even 60ºF Td's. I know lee-cyclogenesis is ongoing with substantial height falls (-125m/12hr at 500mb 00z) spreading East from the SW CONUS and a mid-upper speed max (60-70kts at 500mb) nosing out over the central plains so significant deepening of the sfc-low is likely as mass removal intensifies from the upper-level divergence/lower-level convergence circulation really gets going, but even with favorable moisture trajectories with streamlines oriented from the GoM it seems as though the drier model solutions have in fact been the better-performing guidance, at least regarding BL moisture. Even a 980mb sfc-low is going to have to have a deep fetch to advect the more meaningful moisture northward. It's just hard to see dews getting too far into the 50's in the area of interest near the triple point.

Last edited:
I'm in Alma, near the Kansas-Nebraska line. It's about noon and the temp is dropping and the north wind is picking up. It sure does not feel like thunderstorm weather. Definitely feels like a winter storm is coming.

I'm in Alma, near the Kansas-Nebraska line. It's about noon and the temp is dropping and the north wind is picking up. It sure does not feel like thunderstorm weather. Definitely feels like a winter storm is coming.
Only the extreme southeastern tip of Nebraska is in the warm sector at the moment, and based on radar the boundary is slipping southeast.

Back