WxWorx new product?

Joey Ketcham

I took notice that it appears wxworx has added two new products - at least I didn't notice them this past season.

1). Shows current surface condition plotting out the fronts, highs and lows.

And

2). I notice it shows they added NWS forecasts to their service.

Anyone still have WXWORX activated and let me in on what the 2nd one is, what does it include? I hope HWO.

I remailed them last month about adding various products - looks like they're doing so.

how bout that 1,500$ price tag people are pushing..

A large increase from 900$ sheesshhhhhh

Version 1.2 released back in May adds surface fronts, highs and lows and where they are forecast to be in the future. No HWO.

The software does handle GPS better and I have figured out how to make it work with my Delorme GPS.

Just wish I'd had it working during the season.

Is this system really up to $1500 now?
That is just a bit more than I was willing to pay for it. I thought that $900 was about $400 too much.
Well, if everyone stops buying them, the price might come down.

Darn, and I was going to get one, but not at $1500.

I inquired about selling them... they have no real marketing plans targeting for storm chasers.. The guy didnt mention chasing to me once.. He wanted me to sell to municipalities for road construction etc.. and my price was like 1,100$... I was like what the hell???

Originally posted by fplowman
I inquired about selling them... they have no real marketing plans targeting for storm chasers.. The guy didnt mention chasing to me once.. He wanted me to sell to municipalities for road construction etc.. and my price was like 1,100$... I was like what the hell???

Yeah, they should definately target chasers... Most road construction crews either have a MET service (who will call them if something important, weather-wise, is happening), or they just tune into the radio. I'm sure most city municipatlities wouldn't be willing to purchase $1100 systems for each of there vehicles...

Their model was sell to city and then they would have a dispatch I believe Chris..

I'm pretty sure they're =not= targeting chasers, otherwise they would have bought a nice, affordable banner from us.

Tim

It seems to me that they might be missing out on a great deal of customers ( storm chaser ). Now I might be wrong about some of what I say but I was thinking about making the move to get one but now the price is way to much for the system. Also being the monthly charge is a bit to much for me I think I will have to look for other ways to get my info on the road. I am sure the equipment cost of making the system is far from costing anything close to what they charge. And the monthly charge can't cost the amount they charge which is fine they have to make the profit in order to keep it going but if they lowered the price of the unit itself I think they would make more money from the storm chasers out there using it then they would if the just charge the big price and only have a few that can afford it. I am sure in the next couple of years there will be more new equipment and maybe even another company that might have the same unit or something close to it which will drive the price down and make it more affordable for the poor man out there that love to chase weather.
I think if they charged $800-900 for the system and $70 for the monthly service I would able to take advanage of the system and I think a lot more would as well.

I'm suprised they don't target storm chasers as their customers... I still can't believe I made the plunge and bought the system... though it was awesome to have radar while chasing especially since I don't have a way to dial up to the internet while on the road - except for the stops at the libraries.

If only.. if only I could of gotten GPS to work on the friggin' system. I tried at least 5 times over the season since i gotten the system to get the stupid GPS to work - even using the tips that everyone had given me that they said worked and I still had no luck with it... maybe next year.

I have heard that their biggest customers are boaters and private pilots. There are a lot more pleasure boaters than storm chasers even when only looking at those with more expensive boats. We are a "drop in the bucket" and probably not worth the hassle. Maybe, storm chasers using their product would be more for publicity ie if it is good enough for Joe Chaser to maneuver around a tornadic storm, it is good enough for a boater. Either way, I was considering saving for purchasing WX-WORX but with that price increase, the system is off my list.

Bill Hark

Back