• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Baron XM Mobile Threat Net/WxWorx Questions

I'm currently on the web-based version of Baron Threat Net, and it's about to expire at the end of the month. I also have GR2Analyst and GRLevel3 with an AllisonHouse subscription on my Windows notebook and RadarScope using AllisonHouse on my Mac notebook, iPhone, and iPad.

I have these questions into Cliff at Baron as well, but I wanted to also ask here.

I know the web-based Baron Threat Net offers more refined/complete data, but I may be doing some extensive traveling to areas without cellular/Internet coverage, so I could see a benefit in the XM Mobile Threat Net/WxWorx offerings. Instead of paying for two internet-based weather feeds that would both go offline when I'm out of coverage range, I'm wondering if I'd be better off paying for one Internet-based feed (AllisonHouse) and one satellite-based feed (Baron).

Here are some questions about the XM Mobile Threat Net/WxWorx offerings that’ll help me compare with that I have now:

1. I'm asking Cliff if there are any remaining demo units of WxWorx receivers for sale, or would I have to wait for the new receivers? Does anyone here have a Baron XM Mobile Threat Net/WxWorx receiver they're interested in selling? What other hardware would I need to get started? I would be connecting the WxWorx receiver to a Windows 11 Notebook that has Bluetooth, USB, and Ethernet. I would also need the Mobile Threat Net Software and City Streets addon for Garland County, AR.
  2. What is the monthly cost for the Master Mariner package, and the activation fees? At the moment, if I were to go for Mobile Threat Net, Master Mariner would be enough data.
  3. Is there any “price lock” contract, or if there's a price increase, am I grandfathered in or does the price increase kick in on the next month's billing cycle? That way I’d know how to fit it into my monthly budget (since I’d be going from annual to probably monthly billing).
  4. If I had one of the XM Mobile Threat Net receivers in my office, as long as the antenna wasn’t right next to my FlightRadar24 sensor, would there be any interference between the two, or would both be OK being used in the same office?
  5. Who handles the billing for the Master Mariner package? Do I pay it to Baron or to XM itself?
Thanks!

@B. Dean Berry would be able to answer the latter four questions. IIRC, he just activates it on the months that he needs it, and drops it during the off season. I have a unit, but circumstances of the last few years have not allowed me to chase nearly as much as I'd like to, so I have not messed with the billing in quite some time. If memory serves, all the billing was handled through SiriusXM (Sirius and XM merged several years ago and are under one umbrella now). I seem to remember being able to simply add it on to my existing SXM account when I needed it, as I have an existing subscription to SXM with how much time I spend on the road for work. That said, I think to keep personal and chasing expenses separate, the next time I activate it, I'll probably be doing a standalone account for it.

Hopefully that at least answers the "who handles the billing" part (assuming it's still the same way as it's been in the past). I'll drop Dean a line to see if he can chime in with more information on the rest of it.

By the way, I'll answer a few of my questions here just in case anyone needs them:

1. I won't want a Gen2 unit. They may not fully work with my machine. The software is available for purchase from WxWorx. They no longer sell City Streets addons.

2. Monthly Mariner is $60/month. They generally charge a $50 activation fee (some have been able to occasionally get it waived).

3. No "price lock" since there's no contract, but the price hasn't gone up in a long time.

4. I've confirmed from FlightRadar24 there won't be interference between the two.

5. Drew is correct, billing is handled directly with XM.

Back