WX WORX, Where to buy? Connect fee?

fplowman

Hello Folks,

Well I finally scraped enough $$$ together to afford to purchase the Baron system. Can someone please tell me if they are aware of a better price available out there than the $1179 from the WX Worx web site?

Also .. It says a 100$ connect fee? Is this so? 1179 + 100 connect fee + 100 for first month.. $1379 Ouchie!!! :blink:

Hello Folks,

Well I finally scraped enough $$$ together to afford to purchase the Baron system. Can someone please tell me if they are aware of a better price available out there than the $1179 from the WX Worx web site?

Also .. It says a 100$ connect fee? Is this so? 1179 + 100 connect fee + 100 for first month.. $1379 Ouchie!!! :blink:
[/b]

Do a search on WxWorx since it has been discussed in detail on here. But I will say dont waste your money on the Threat net ground version for $100. get the Master marine service for $50. Only difference is you dont get the Shear feature which you use to see how strong the shear is but if the shear is strong you still get the spinning donut which is all you need. so take the half price service.

I just got mine a few weeks ago and love it. My chase buddy has had it for a few years now and it is worth the $$.

Hello Folks,

[/b]

I purchased WxWorx this year. I paid $929 for all the software and hardware. Then like $6 for S&H. That is all you pay Baron. For the service through XM, really all you will need storm chasing is the Master Mariner for $49 a month. You could even go for the cheaper package that doesn't include satellite, tropical and a few other minor things. Its like $29 a month, I believe Mike H has this package, it suites him fine. Personally, I have the Master Mariner. For the $29 and $49 there is a $50 activation fee and for the $100 package, it's a $100 activation fee. Also there is no disconnect fee when you turn it off for the winter season, just another activation fee in the spring when you turn it on again. Here is the email of the person I bought mine from, really nice guy, will answer any questions you might have.

[email protected]

*I in no way benefit from recommended anyone to cwindham

Hello Folks,

[/b]

You might try Anythingweather.com
http://www.anythingweatherstore.com/produc...-ThreatNet.html

Now there web site does not go into detail on what comes with it so you might want to call them and ask.

I also went this year with the Master Mariner package this year and the only thing you don't get is the shear button.

You might try Anythingweather.com
http://www.anythingweatherstore.com/produc...-ThreatNet.html

Now there web site does not go into detail on what comes with it so you might want to call them and ask.

I also went this year with the Master Mariner package this year and the only thing you don't get is the shear button.
[/b]

Thanks guys..
Yeah, I didnt bother doing a search here cause I have read all the threads extensively and was the author of another and we didnt get into the pricing detail we are discussing here.. Where to buy for the least $$$ and what the connect fee is if there is one. Wx website says there is but when reading posts here no one spoke of it that i could see.

Thanks again for all the info. Im searching for the best pricing on this unit and what detailed costs there are to get it up and running.

$ 935 is the ON SALE! Price at Anything Weather. So I went back to WX worx web site and priced the unit for $ 929 without bluetooth.

I called Anything Weather and inquired about their SALE and asked if it was Bluetooth. They had to call me back and let me know. So im waiting for that call.

If they will go $935 on sale for the premium/bluetooth kit i suppose Ill buy from them. Best price i can find at this time. If anyone knows anywhere else to look that is competitive the info would be appreciated.

Otherwise Ill be buying from Anything Weather and giving a short review of my findings and experience.

While comparing the two packages. I notice :

1. Echo Tops missing? Is this so? Does the Master Mariner package not have echo tops? these i can find useful.

2. Winds aloft. Master Mariner does not appear to have this. i assume this info could be used for some forecasting?

3. Wind Shear Detection. To reconfirm , Jay says that the spinning donut appears when there is shear in the Master Mariner plan.

Those were the only differences i could find in the two packages that would apply to my use.

When i purchase .. so i purchase Threatnet for the updated mapping etc?? and buy a master mariner data package? Or do i have to use the Master Mariner software and unit and use what i assume would be a dumbed down mapping software package geared more towards oceanic uses?

Thanks ahead of time for your help..

Fred

While comparing the two packages. I notice :

1. Echo Tops missing? Is this so? Does the Master Mariner package not have echo tops? these i can find useful.

2. Winds aloft. Master Mariner does not appear to have this. i assume this info could be used for some forecasting?

3. Wind Shear Detection. To reconfirm , Jay says that the spinning donut appears when there is shear in the Master Mariner plan.

Those were the only differences i could find in the two packages that would apply to my use.

When i purchase .. so i purchase Threatnet for the updated mapping etc?? and buy a master mariner data package? Or do i have to use the Master Mariner software and unit and use what i assume would be a dumbed down mapping software package geared more towards oceanic uses?

Thanks ahead of time for your help..

Fred
[/b]

The only difference in the Master marine and the ground package is the shear function. All that shows is how strong the shear shear is but you still get the donut once shear reaches that threshhold.

Yes you have echo tops and wind fields with the Marine. I have it and have used the echo tops etc.. The only thing is the shear button which I can do without for half price. Also the activation fee is half.

The software is actually the same its just the service you pay for. You can upgrade anytime to ground just by paying the extra $50 a month.

The only difference in the Master marine and the ground package is the shear function. All that shows is how strong the shear shear is but you still get the donut once shear reaches that threshhold.

Yes you have echo tops and wind fields with the Marine. I have it and have used the echo tops etc.. The only thing is the shear button which I can do without for half price. Also the activation fee is half.

The software is actually the same its just the service you pay for. You can upgrade anytime to ground just by paying the extra $50 a month.
[/b]

One thing to remember, get the software for ground not water or aviation. The display is different for the other two (water and aviation). You still can choose what service plan you want. But the buttons are different on which software you buy.

One thing to remember, get the software for ground not water or aviation. The display is different for the other two (water and aviation). You still can choose what service plan you want. But the buttons are different on which software you buy.
[/b]

Yeah thats what i figured but was waiting for someone to clarify.. And you did :)

Thanks, Fred

I remember last year when we were going to purchase our first Baron's system we searched high and low for the best price. I think we eventually got it from Anythingweather.com, however, I remember right before the chase season was about to begin, there were a few on e-bay that went for around $800! I thought that was a great price, and actually almost regretted getting ours for $930, however... ebay can be risky when purchasing expensive items. It's good to do your homework when using e-bay to buy anything. I just thought I would mention that. Good luck finding one for a good price. I'm sure you'll see that it's well worth the money after you've put it to use one season.

Finally took the plunge on this item as well. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous for some reason about telling the wxworx folks I was planning on using threat net with the mariner package even though I've heard a number of chasers on here mention it, however, Cliff (the threat net sales rep) didn't seem to have any problems with this what-so-ever. In fact he basically encouraged it....lol He did say that you needed the ground unit with mapping upgrade for this work correctly for chasing use/gps ground tracking etc.

After shipping it was $935.35 Arrived two days later. While it supposedly requires a $50 activation fee (for mariner plan), Cliff mentioned that he thought there was an end of spring special going on where xm would wave the activation fee for new subscribers. He says that this information was not published anywhere. Will let you know when I try to activate it this coming week.

Jeff - can you confirm that you got the GPS option included for $799 and has the unit actually been delivered ??
[/b]

Hi Stuart: I am expecting delivery this week (March 27-30), so I will let you know when it arrives. I assume by "GPS option" you are referring to the "mapping upgrade to include topography and GPS connectivity." It is advertised on the package, so it better be included!
As far as the actual GPS, that is purchased separately.
I checked with another chaser friend of mine who used the Mobile Threat Net last season and said this advertised package was the same he purchased for about $950 in 2005.

I will let you know when it arrives.

Back