Beating a dead horse, Wx Worx vs. Wireless Card.

Which would you use if given a choice of one or the other?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fplowman

Last year i used wifi at the truckstops. We all know this is very limited and challenging postitioning yourself within proximity of a storm and a wifi connection.

I am torn between what to invest in this year. Wx worx or a Cingular internet Air card.

I have already invested in Grlevel software.. I am seriously considering the Cingular solution. We know of course that it is really only useable on major highways and towns in Western Kansas (primary chase area) but thats easy enough maybe 80% of the time.

The Wx worx system on the other hand has a coverage area without gaps other than its own inherent flaws (doesnt connect every once in a great while)

I know people talk smack about their dislikes of Wx worx. i have chased with others that have had it and had some good success.

Strangely most everyone will talk bad about Wx Worx and in the same conversation they will sing its praise. lol

Im torn with a budget i dotn want to swing both this year. Others opinions are appreciated.

One consideration is

Wx Worx = 1100$ for equipment and 99$ for the downfeed. no contract Im aware of.. aproximate cost first season is 1400$ ( 3 month service)

Air Card = 50 - 100$ plus 59$ a month plus 150$ contract cancellation fee.. Total cost about 430$ (3 month service)

not sure if you can change the poll but you might want to just say Wireless instead of AirCard cingular....I picked that but that's only because it was the closest to Verizon ;)

Fred, pluses and minuses on both counts. Here's my experience. WXWORX, available ALL the time, anywhere in the US. That's the huge plus. Radar is sufficient as long as you aren't expecting it to be 88D. It does what it's designed to do, and does it well. Biggest negatives are the EXTREME equipment cost and monthly fee. I found it a very useful tool and that are my sole objections to it for the quality of data you get.

Running a cellular connetion air card....have one of these too. Biggest issue with that is many areas on the plains I couldn't get a digital connection, and therefor it didn't work. When there was service (mine is Sprint), it works wonderfully. Use it with COD, or Weathertap or GRL3 and when you have service it's great. The added benefit is full internet access to anything else you want, something you won't get with WXWORX.

Personally, if I can find a cellular service that has coverage that will offset my holes in Sprint service, I am going to get a second account with that company, and run GRL3. If I can't find satifactory coverage (and that includes western KS) I would probably use the WXWORXS again to compliment the aircard service.

Really comes down to what you want to spend and what level of data you can live with. I have to say the live radar all the time was very nice. In a perfect world, you could have both. :wink:

Both are very good options, esp. Wx Worx if you have the money. I am actually going to get Wx Worx and Cingular both. Monthly costs will be pricey during April-June, but I can always drop down to the $30 package for Wx Worx and the $20 package on Cingular during non-chase months which isnt that bad at all. I have heard some good things on Cingular, but some bad as well. If anybody has any experience using it please let me know as I am still trying to make a decision whethere to get it or not. I know Sprint air cards are good, but from what I understand not a very wide area as opposed to Cingular. Oh and by the way, my vote is for Wx Worx :D

I use Cingular for my data (I get data through my phone, not through a pcmcia card though). The data coverage, on the whole, is better than Sprint. In the southern plains, pretty much everywhere you have voice coverage, you'll have data coverage. A lot of the southern plains area has EDGE coverage, so it's not too slow. It's not EVDO or UMTS, but those technologies only cover a dozen or two cities nationwide -- certainly not applicable for chasing 99.999% of the time.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
I use Cingular for my data (I get data through my phone, not through a pcmcia card though). The data coverage is MUCH better than Sprint. Basically, where you have voice coverage, you'll have data coverage. A lot of the southern plains area has EDGE coverage, so it's not too slow. It's not EVDO or UMTS, but those technologies only cover a dozen or two cities nationwide -- certainly not applicable for chasing 99.999% of the time.

You get data coverage in the western half of KS Jeff?

Originally posted by David Drummond

David,
My original post was a little ambiguous, and I have edited it to make a bit clearer. I was meaning to say everything in terms of the southern plains (OK/TX). There is still plenty of data coverage void in rural KS, NE, etc. Fortunately, Cingular is filling in their voice coverage in KS (had large voids between I70 and the NE/KS border, and hard other voids west of a Wichita to Salina line. For what it's worth, I had good data coverage northwest of Pratt last August, despite the fact that Cingular's online map would indicate otherwise.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-David Drummond

David,
My original post was a little ambiguous, and I have edited it to make a bit clearer. I was meaning to say everything in terms of the southern plains (OK/TX). There is still plenty of data coverage void in rural KS, NE, etc. Fortunately, Cingular is filling in their voice coverage in KS (had large voids between I70 and the NE/KS border, and hard other voids west of a Wichita to Salina line. For what it's worth, I had good data coverage northwest of Pratt last August, despite the fact that Cingular's online map would indicate otherwise.[/b]

That's why I asked because Cingular data was one of the secondary services I was considering. I get nothing Sprint-wise from the time I leave the NW border until I hit I70 west of I35. Surprisingly, even DDC doesn't have Sprint coverage!

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>
Originally posted by Jeff Snyder@
<!--QuoteBegin-David Drummond

David,
My original post was a little ambiguous, and I have edited it to make a bit clearer. I was meaning to say everything in terms of the southern plains (OK/TX). There is still plenty of data coverage void in rural KS, NE, etc. Fortunately, Cingular is filling in their voice coverage in KS (had large voids between I70 and the NE/KS border, and hard other voids west of a Wichita to Salina line. For what it's worth, I had good data coverage northwest of Pratt last August, despite the fact that Cingular's online map would indicate otherwise.

That's why I asked because Cingular data was one of the secondary services I was considering. I get nothing Sprint-wise from the time I leave the NW border until I hit I70 west of I35. Surprisingly, even DDC doesn't have Sprint coverage![/b]

At least in my area, Sprint is offering a plan that includes unlimited roaming ($79.99). Thus with a DUN capable phone, you can use it anywhere. If you're under Sprint towers, you can siphon off the Vision network.

Originally posted by Edward Ballou

At least in my area, Sprint is offering a plan that includes unlimited roaming ($79.99). Thus with a DUN capable phone, you can use it anywhere. If you're under Sprint towers, you can siphon off the Vision network.

You must be talking about the Sprint Aircards Edward. Graham and I both have one of these. They work fantastic when you have coverage. The coverage here on the South Plains is really pretty good, but we found some holes last year. It's getting better along the highway from Lubbock to Wichita Falls, but there is still about a 75 miles hole there. Get north of I40, aside from Dumas and there is no coverage until you hit I70, ANYWHERE west of I35.

I was hoping maybe cingular or another service might have data coverage in that area, but the outlook is bleak.

Originally posted by David Drummond
The coverage here on the South Plains is really pretty good, but we found some holes last year. It's getting better along the highway from Lubbock to Wichita Falls, but there is still about a 75 miles hole there. Get north of I40, aside from Dumas and there is no coverage until you hit I70, ANYWHERE west of I35.

Yep, even today cell coverage is pretty sparse in the places you're likely to be chasing the most. Even roaming is spotty in those places. Coverage is good in cities and along interstates, but if you really need something from the internet then (hires sat pics, SPC outlooks), you always have libraries, truck stops and hotels.

For this reason WxWorx is the only real option for full-time data. It's not perfect but it doesn't have to be. It gets the job done.

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Edward Ballou

You must be talking about the Sprint Aircards Edward. Graham and I both have one of these. They work fantastic when you have coverage. The coverage here on the South Plains is really pretty good, but we found some holes last year. It's getting better along the highway from Lubbock to Wichita Falls, but there is still about a 75 miles hole there. Get north of I40, aside from Dumas and there is no coverage until you hit I70, ANYWHERE west of I35.

I was hoping maybe cingular or another service might have data coverage in that area, but the outlook is bleak.[/b]

No, these aren't air cards at all.

David, I think the phone I sent you had some software called FutureDial that enabled you to use your phone as a modem - dialing a phone number to connect to the internet. That required you to have a dial-up ISP.

Dial-up Networking is a feature on the actual phone itself that takes out the need for third party software. The Treo 650 (with a firmware update) comes with Bluetooth Dial-up Networking. I have not yet tested it with a dialup ISP as I have usually been on Sprint's network.

HOWEVER, if you are not on Sprint's network, your only option is to pay roaming charges and use that as your method of connection to the ISP. Now Sprint has added their unlimited roaming for $79.99 a month (this also includes your anytime minutes, etc). So effectively, as long as you have the ability to roam, you can hook up to your ISP. Note though that if you are using Sprint's network to surf, then you can surf much faster.

One can find a Treo 650 for around $150 - 200 on ebay or $300 at a Sprint place I think. That's much less than what you'll pay for a WXWorx system.

Then all you need for your computer is a bluetooth adapter to talk to your phone which costs about $40.

This is the way I am understanding how things work. I have yet to add that unlimited roaming onto our plan yet but I will soon. I will keep you updated with how things turn out.

The network coverage map at the Cingular website is a little on the not updated side. If you can find in a store or on the web site the Push to Talk coverage map it is actually more updated showing the areas in Kansas being filled in. I can tell you that UMTS was put on hold for a little bit longer, and as for the Oklahoma City Metro area, in training I was told it would be fall 2006 and then the ruarl areas would be filed in during 2007. I have the Sony Ericsson Gc83 aircard and it is ok. I run with what I can afford. I am wanting the Novatel U730 simply cause when UMTS is put here i will already have the air card. Just need a 3G sim.
Not sure if anyone here is aware of wireless repeaters, but I have spoken to a few people that have used them, and they praise them. They are kind of expensive though. But they put you back to the good ole 3 Watt bag phone power days! I am holding off till they have one that supports UMTS as well. Just my thought.

This spring will be my first good test with my Alltel setup. I bought the Kyocera air card and the monthly Axcess Mobilelink service back in October. I gave it a test for one month with the unlimited service which is nearly $80/mo... kind of steep, but it roams on Verizon's network which is good, and I've since downgraded my billing to $8/mo restricted 2MB download for the winter. Since this is CDMA technology, fewer towers are needed since the signal goes out about 20 miles or so... right now, Alltel has a tower in every KS county that is non-Verizon. here is a map of Alltel's Mobilelink coverage .

I did a lot of research on this for the best service for my chasing, and this was what I settled for. Testing it out, I drove up and down highway 283 from Dodge to Ness City for about an hour and a half and didn't miss a single volume scan running StormLab. The software doesn't "disconnect" when the signal is gone, it's like on standby... very important feature for running auto-update radar. That pretty much sold me right there. Of course, the southern plains is a pretty big void right now, which is probably why Alltel is a "sleeper"... plus alltel is typically available only in smaller market communities, like Dodge City, so I guess that's a benefit :) [/url]

Back