Beating a dead horse, Wx Worx vs. Wireless Card.

Which would you use if given a choice of one or the other?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
For this reason WxWorx is the only real option for full-time data. It's not perfect but it doesn't have to be. It gets the job done.

Dan hit the nail pretty good right there. WX-worx fills the gap perfectly. I just hope new technology doesn't make it pointless to purchase anytime soon. I guess if I was looking at getting it now I might be somewhat concerned the service will go bye bye as various wireless internet services come about. If that doesn't come to be anytime soon then I'd say it is a pretty decent tool/buy.

I just got it this last year and never once had to use my cell phone(except for the November chase as xm was turned off). I honestly don't know what else one would need if they had xm and a wifi card for their laptop. Wifi gets you all that important early stuff and then xm keeps you covered as you leave the localized areas with wifi coverage(or even a library). It is pretty nice not ending up with those excessive cell phone bills. What is better yet is not having ANY holes while you are out there. All my xm plan costs is $30 a month for constant data(imo there really isn't much need in getting the other packages for more). It is also nice not having to mess with it once it is on. This leaves no need to keep using the cell phone to see if something has gone up out of sight...you'll know right away. At $30/month and for what it does it seems silly not to have it along if you can afford the one time cost of the equipment(I got mine for $829).

All that aside I still keep asking myself if I should sell it, lol. With wifi and a decent cell plan you can have plenty of data to get the job done. I wouldn't mind having that $829 back for things, but at the same time it is pretty nice knowing you have info that you don't have to mess with and only costing $30/month while chasing now. So I guess my answer would be xm since I plan to keep it this year and have thought about selling it over and over. If I had other things I needed to buy and didn't have xm yet I'd certainly get the other things and just use the wifi stops and a decent digital cell plan.

I have not yet had the chance to, first handedly, using my WX Works system yet, so I can't give a truly honest rating at this point. Prior to me buying my Works unit I was torn between cell phone services, plans, and providers and I simply got fed up with it so I chose the WX Works system for simplicity. I have herd it has it's drawbacks, but I really don't need it for anything other than know where the cells are that I can't see visible if that is the case.

I am going to turn my unit on in March so I can get used to learning it before the season hits in full force come April, May, and June.

Mick

Mick,

I just recently purchased Wx Worx and will also turn it on in March to get used to it. I have seen it in use on chases though and it is an excellent piece of equipment. I am also getting some more equipment and hope to have everything in place by March to get used to running it all. With Wx Worx and Wifi it would be hard to go wrong in my opinion(unless you pick a poor target area or pick the wrong cell to chase), which will happen its fair share of times

Chris

Chris, I think the Wx Works system will be a very powerful tool for the field providing it is used with a little common sense and not heavily relied upon while on a storm. For me it’s just about getting to a cell, once I am there I will rely on the eye.

I am not real sure how much it will help me this season but I am going to give it a good try though, but I will let you know the second week of June when my season is over. lol If I don’t like it I will just sell it.

Mick

If not for WxWorx, I would have missed 7 tornadoes on June 12 in Kent County Texas. As the initial junkfest started to morph into discrete cells, I first wanted to stop at the Dickens cell which was looking good visually as we passed its base on the eastern side. But, with WxWorx I could see the massive tail-end charlie just 20 miles to the south, within easy reach but out of view in what looked like a indistinguishable mess of precip ahead of us.

That day I was starting to think that we were going to be dealing with a grungefest and was ready to take that first decent-looking storm, and I would have if I hadn't seen this:

june12radar1.jpg

WxWorx is perfect for those kinds of final intercept decisions that can make or break the day. It is then that you don't have time to stop and look for WIFI or hope that you have a cell signal. You need the info now and WxWorx gives it to you.

Ok, I'm the expert on Cingular, so here goes....lol Cingular data connect works GREAT in 90% of the areas I chased last summer, and this included western Kansas, Oklahoma, all through Missou, Illinois, except the NNW 5%, Kentucky, Eastern Tx, 85% Arkansas, ALL SE states, and I used my laptop to download current doppler, etc. With the addition of more towers, this year should be even better. There is NO software to buy, just have the data connect added to your plan, and buy the data connect cord, and then go to Cingular.com...register...and download for free the cingular manager to connect on your laptop. The cord runs from $30-60 depending on your phone. I have the Motorola RAZR, and use the didital video to send pics to other puters and cell phones, all within 30 seconds of videoing. Some phones work better than others, but nearly ALL have the data connect properties. Cingular has plans to add hundreds of more towers in the Southern Plains, so service should just get better. BTW - I own 4 Cingular exclusive stores.

Originally posted by SteveCarter
BTW - I own 4 Cingular exclusive stores.

Steve, could I expect similar connectability with an aircard (rather than a cell phone) on the Cingular Network? If not, which phone do you recommend for that?

Also, perhaps you can give me the trick to getting service in my zip code. They have coverage here, and I can get service with the nearby Lubbock zip codes, just not mine for some reason. Heck, they even have a call center in Lubbock. I know it can be done because neighbors here have Cingular.

Steve,

I also have the RAZR and have found the signal lacking due to no external antenna and no jack to allow an external antenna. How did you sove the reception on it. My partner also has Cingulare but a different phone and when I had no signal she had 3 bars at least. how do I increase the signal on it. Do you recommend those internal antenna stickers? I may have to activate my old Nokia if I cant get my RAZR to work.

I already have signed up for data and have my data cable so all i need is a signal.

I will also be using WxWorx this year. Only drawback is only 5 levels of color. If they would increase that it would be hard to beat since they already offer current warnings, satellite, winds, surface obs, GPS, etc..

(JMHO) - make sure you have something like a wilson trucker antenna hardwired to your phone (or air card) - assuming this hasnt been brought up in this thread already

by the way - I was not happy with the blue tooth wireless transmission so Ive got my phone (motorolla v400) hard wired cabled to my laptop using Cingular unlimited plan at $98 a month (was without contract last year)
alot of wires to manage but worked really well for me....

Back