Man, screw Sprint....

I have been using Sprint for about 3 years now, and been using data on my phone (well until I lost my data cable that I just recently found again).

So during the last year or so, they shut my service off for for non payment, even though I have been a good payer since I signed up, always paying when I get my invoice, I had mistyped the payment amount online and was short by the tune of like $0.20, so they cut me off for missing that 20 cents! AND charged me a stupid fee to reconnect it after paying it.

I normally pay online, and one time the online service was down for several days, I tried to call and make a payment, only to find out there is an extra fee to pay it that way. In fact, there is an extra fee if you pay it by ANY method other than online or mailing it in!!! Charging people to pay you, what a concept!

The following month, I made my payment online with my card, only to find out they charged me twice!! When I called to complain, they told me "sorry, nothing we can do about it, but it will be credited to your next bill" so I was like, ok well, what do you want me to tell the people that were going to get that money you took for THEIR bill?

Then there was the time that I payed the extra fee to have X amount of free roaming minutes the day before I was going to be chasing in an area I KNEW I would be roaming. The gladly charged my account for it, only to find out about 4 days later that when you buy those extra roaming minutes, they don't actually add those to your account for 48 hrs, so that whole day I was chasing I was paying roaming charges amounting to nearly $100 (that I thought would be covered by the roaming minutes I was buying in advance!)

So now, I am trying to set my phone up again on my laptop, having reinstalled the operating system. I was having trouble getting the computer to recognize the phone as a modem, like it was before. Contacting Sprint, I am told (read that lied to) that I can't use my phone as a modem. After telling her that I know I can, I have been doing it, she all but flat out called me a liar and told me it was impossible, that they don't allow data via cell phone, you have to get one of the air cards to get internet data (at $80 a month for anything meaningful).

So I contact Nokia, and COMPLETELY explained my problem, only to get the typical "your a dumbass, here is the ultra simplified explaination of how to set it up" form mail. So I reply and RE-EXPLAIN my issue, only to be replied to with, "oh, your service is Sprint, they don't allow data over the phone, sorry". I was like HELLO, again, that was not my issue, my issue was trying to get the computer to recognize the phone as a modem again. Do techs even actuall freakin READ support tickets any more?

Then I check, and the feature you could add to your account with Sprint called Wireless Web (lets you use your plan minutes for data too) is no longer available. Oddly enough, even though they flat out tell you that you absolutely can not, under any circumstances, use your phone as a modem for data, it's now written in the contract terms that they charge X amount per minute for data uses. Now, if you can't do it, why would there be a charge?

It is now my opinion that not only is the Sprint service a bunch of CRAP (yes with capitols!) but their service reps are well trained liars as well. As soon as my contract expires, I am switching services (might do it sooner and eat that early termination fee) to something better. I am also less than happy with Nokia support too, as they appear to be hand puppets for Sprint as far as their Sprint dedicated phones are concerned.

Sorry for the rant, but I could only tell people to avoid Sprint like the plague for chasing unless you want to spring for the $80/month data cards.
:evil: :evil:

I'd pick up Sprint again if I could use it in W. KS (which could be sooner than later). I was able to read between the lines, use some of my contacts in the cellular industry, and got along just fine with them. There are ways to use the data, and yes they know this, but they aren't going to tell you that when they are trying to make a sale. Welcome to corporate America!

I'm not arguing with David's experience, but I had good luck and good service when I used them. I had to do some digging on my own to get a few things to work the way I wanted, but that's not unusual for most of us. Good luck with your next service, it could be worse, like Alltel data :wink:

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Stoecklein
I'd pick up Sprint again if I could use it in W. KS (which could be sooner than later). I was able to read between the lines, use some of my contacts in the cellular industry, and got along just fine with them. There are ways to use the data, and yes they know this, but they aren't going to tell you that when they are trying to make a sale. Welcome to corporate America!

I'm not arguing with David's experience, but I had good luck and good service when I used them. I had to do some digging on my own to get a few things to work the way I wanted, but that's not unusual for most of us. Good luck with your next service, it could be worse, like Alltel data :wink:

Tim

Maybe you can help me get my phone working again Tim? I am stuck in contract for about another year! :shock:

David, I've found the people you talk to on the phone are jerks. They'll screw you out of anything they can.

If you go into a local sprint store and explain the situation, they have the power to take that off.

Case in point: Last month, I was late on a payment. I didn't even know because I had thought I had set up automatic payment through July or something. Well, it turns out the automatic payment didn't go through and so they called me on it. Explaining the situation to the rep, he wouldn't take off the late fee because of the honest mistake. Yelling did nothing better for me so I agreed to pay. Because I've become pretty good friends with the Sprint guys at the local place here, I went in and discussed the situation with them and they said they would absolutely take off the late fee. By friends, I don't mean that I hang out with them on the weekend or anything like that. So I think my 'connections' had something to do with it, but they seemed really cool about it anyways.

Sprint officially don't allow people to connect to the internet and will not give support to those who do. If they do notice you're doing it, they'll shut off your Vision plan. Maybe that's what's going on?

Little blurb on the Vision plan: Must have capable phone and but access is only available in limited areas. It's also $15 a month.

As far as the whole thing with recognizing your phone is a modem, hrm...I know FutureDial has software that does that sort of thing. I bought that at Radioshack and that's what I used last year. I'm still limited to certain towers and I'm not yet daring enough to pay for roaming. I've actually thought about buying a cantenna so I don't have to bother with internet problems on the road.

I dropped Sprint this passed November and went with Verizon! They have service is desolate areas where Sprint doesn't.. AND I can get my plans cheaper by a few bucks! :D

We began using Sprint's Aircard 550 last year for data while chasing - and we won't ever look back. Even considering it's limiting factor of their coverage not being everywhere, it still beats any other mobile data collection device hands-down.

We have never used them for cellular services. In fact, we've gone with Cingular for cellphones this season.

Don't be shocked about phone companies fleecing you and messing you around - they have the worst customer service in the world and are only out for one thing - your money. We almost dumped SBC earlier this year for messing us around big-time with our DSL service at home.

KR

I had my horrible experience with sprint too. I had them about 4 years back and went through many angry discussions with customer service. They are untrained automatons that do nothing but try to get you off the other line. Wow I am getting mad just sitting here thinking about those customer service conversations. I finally complained enough they let me terminate my plan early. I switched to Cingular and have been relatively content thus far.

Originally posted by Edward Ballou
David, I've found the people you talk to on the phone are jerks. They'll screw you out of anything they can.

If you go into a local sprint store and explain the situation, they have the power to take that off.

Problem is with our local Sprint store, your typically looking at a 2 hour wait standing in line to talk to someone, unless of course you buying a phone and starting new service. They have special people there to kiss your ass in that case.

Sprint officially don't allow people to connect to the internet and will not give support to those who do. If they do notice you're doing it, they'll shut off your Vision plan. Maybe that's what's going on?

Can't be, since A) I have been on Sprint BEFORE Vision was every available and used it for data during that time AND after it was available, B) I don't have a Vision phone C) I don't have a Vision plan.

As far as the whole thing with recognizing your phone is a modem, hrm...I know FutureDial has software that does that sort of thing.

See that is really the whole problem. I don't even know if I CAN still use it for data, since I can't get the computer to recognize it as a modem any more. I have a Nokia 3588i, which has a built in modem. All you need is the DKU5 data cable (which I have). You install the drivers for the cable, it recognizes the cable. You download/install the drivers for the phone modem, it's supposed to recognize and install. At least it worked that way before. You just set it up as a modem then, just like you would a regular modem, and set your dial up connection to use it just like it would any other modem. It worked just fine like that in the past.

The only two things that have changed is that I have reinstalled the OS on the laptop, and I replaced the phone when the other one got ran over, with an identical model. I am wondering if they somehow disabled the modem feature in the replacement phone, even though it's an identical model phone.

Originally posted by Karen Rhoden
We began using Sprint's Aircard 550 last year for data while chasing - and we won't ever look back. Even considering it's limiting factor of their coverage not being everywhere, it still beats any other mobile data collection device hands-down.

We have never used them for cellular services. In fact, we've gone with Cingular for cellphones this season.

Don't be shocked about phone companies fleecing you and messing you around - they have the worst customer service in the world and are only out for one thing - your money. We almost dumped SBC earlier this year for messing us around big-time with our DSL service at home.

KR

I have heard good things about the air cards. We are working on something with a local organization this year, and it looks like they are going to supply us with a couple of those, so I have decent hopes for those. Looks like they will do what they want us to do anyway.

Originally posted by Jason Montano
I had my horrible experience with sprint too. I had them about 4 years back and went through many angry discussions with customer service. They are untrained automatons that do nothing but try to get you off the other line. Wow I am getting mad just sitting here thinking about those customer service conversations. I finally complained enough they let me terminate my plan early. I switched to Cingular and have been relatively content thus far.

I wanted Cingular when I got Sprint, problem is, for whatever reason, because I am one zip code removed from their "official" service area, I can't get their service, even though I know plenty of people here that do have it and it works fine. I just need a mailing address in THEIR service area. Been tempted to get a PO Box.

Cingular has an add on for Unlimited Media Net ($24.99/month). You can connect your cell phone to your laptop and use the GPRS/EDGE network for unlimited data. Best of all, it doesn't eat up your minutes either. Their GPRS coverage covers just about the same area as their cell phone/voice coverage.

I would go with the cheapest plan that offers the lowest minutes, then sign up for Media Net... It would certainly be cheaper than $80/month, and you can turn off the Media Net whenever you want.

I use DataPilot to connect my phone to the internet, and it was rather simple, as it automatically detected my phone, installed the modem, and setup everything.

Originally posted by rdewey
Cingular has an add on for Unlimited Media Net ($24.99/month). You can connect your cell phone to your laptop and use the GPRS/EDGE network for unlimited data. Best of all, it doesn't eat up your minutes either. Their GPRS coverage covers just about the same area as their cell phone/voice coverage.

I would go with the cheapest plan that offers the lowest minutes, then sign up for Media Net... It would certainly be cheaper than $80/month, and you can turn off the Media Net whenever you want.

I use DataPilot to connect my phone to the internet, and it was rather simple, as it automatically detected my phone, installed the modem, and setup everything.

After reading this I did some looking and Cingular is offering "unlimited browsing for 1st month" if you sign up by April 4th. So you could get the $2.99/mo. plan and have unlimited bandwidth until May 4th. Sounds like a good alternative to WiFi.

Originally posted by rdewey

That does work nicely if you're in signal. Skip and I used it yesterday and had to repeatedly reconnect every so often.

Originally posted by Dan Cook+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan Cook)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-rdewey

That does work nicely if you're in signal. Skip and I used it yesterday and had to repeatedly reconnect every so often.[/b]

Were you down by Peoria? There are a few breaks in the signal across there, as evident on there coverage area: http://www.cingular.com/download/GPRS_coverage_410.pdf

Also, I don't know why they have the UP of Michigan highlighted, you'll never, and I mean NEVER get a signal of any kind up there, unless your in Marquette.

Originally posted by rdewey+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rdewey)</div>
Originally posted by Dan Cook@
<!--QuoteBegin-rdewey

That does work nicely if you're in signal. Skip and I used it yesterday and had to repeatedly reconnect every so often.

Were you down by Peoria? There are a few breaks in the signal across there, as evident on there coverage area: http://www.cingular.com/download/GPRS_coverage_410.pdf

Also, I don't know why they have the UP of Michigan highlighted, you'll never, and I mean NEVER get a signal of any kind up there, unless your in Marquette.[/b]

Yea we were around there but had good connection. I think it was around in more rural areas where we had problems.

Back