Man, screw Sprint....

David, I didn't read through each and every post above, but I thought I saw you say that you aren't on Vision? I was on Vision with mine, and they may have made the difference. I paid $15.00 per month for the Vision plan, but got $10.00 in free downloads each month. This allowed me unlimited data through the phone (which translated into the same on the laptop via the data cable). I haven't looked at Sprint plans since I left Michigan, but my bet is that they still have something similar with all the picture phones (which is why mine was capable).

I've got a Vision capable phone that I'd sell you relatively cheap.

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Stoecklein
David, I didn't read through each and every post above, but I thought I saw you say that you aren't on Vision? I was on Vision with mine, and they may have made the difference. I paid $15.00 per month for the Vision plan, but got $10.00 in free downloads each month. This allowed me unlimited data through the phone (which translated into the same on the laptop via the data cable). I haven't looked at Sprint plans since I left Michigan, but my bet is that they still have something similar with all the picture phones (which is why mine was capable).

Tim

If you don't spend that $10 on downloads, you get credited that on your account each month. So that's how I save a bit more each month.

I have used Cingular for the last few years now, and I must say it exceeds my expectations every year. I chased in central IL the other day, Quincy-Peoria-Bloomington, etc. and rarely ever lost a signal, yeah it drops out occasionally, but that’s to be expected when moving 70mph between towers. I have a new nokia phone this year that has worked flawlessly. Its great because I connect to my laptop through bluetooth so that I don't have to have it connected with a cable, I can have my phone anywhere within 30 feet of the laptop and it has no problems. The other advantage to Cingular's GPRS is that is does not use your min., just data and when you receive a call it places your data on hold and resumes when you hang up, so no reconnecting every time someone calls you. I love this feature since I use my phone for communication and data.

Dan

Originally posted by Edward Ballou+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Edward Ballou)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Tim Stoecklein

Tim

If you don't spend that $10 on downloads, you get credited that on your account each month. So that's how I save a bit more each month.[/b]

I used to pay extra $10 for the wireless web (which doesn't seem to be available any more). Do any of those vision phones have cables available to attach them to the computer. I am pretty skeptical about getting one, since I am pretty rough on phones and all of the vision phones I have seen look pretty flimsy. Nokia has been the only phone that seems to stand up to my phone brutality. One of the local TV stations here all have Sprint Vision phones and they are all telling me not to get one too. I don't know....

Future Dial is exactly what I used. I had to create a couple of connection names for it as it wouldn't recognize the phone sometimes. Most of the time I could shut down the phone and turn it back on and I was good to go. Since I'm one of those people that only shut off my phone when the battery is completely dead rather than each time I charged it, that was my issue I think.

No arguments from me on the Nokia side of things. They make the most durable phones hands down, or used to. Mine held up pretty well though, it's still in excellent shape. Sure you don't want to buy it? :wink:

Tim

I have used Cingular and had the same issues with customer
support. I think they just hire high school drop-outs. In fact,
if the person who answers sounds like an idiot, I hang up and
try again.

I suggest using talk and discussion groups listed under Google
searches. Some computer companies have their own specific disucssion groups and forums. These groups can help with almost
any issue.

The big problem is the Federal Government allows cell companies to merge (e.g., ATT and Cingular) without considering future customer
service problems.

Mike

Originally posted by Mike Johnson
I have used Cingular and had the same issues with customer
support. I think they just hire high school drop-outs. In fact,
if the person who answers sounds like an idiot, I hang up and
try again.

Mike

We have a friend that worked for the Cingular call center in Lubbock who is very good and wasn't an idiot person at all. Well, I guess she was too smart for them because they layed her off a month and a half before she would be in the retirement program with them. She never had any problems or bad reviews, but they cited poor performance as the reason. Just trying to get out of those benefits! I tried to go to work for them a couple of years ago, but in retrospect, thankfully they declined to hire me.

Funny we are discussing this... I am getting my stuff set up right now for my trip in May.

I just got off the phone with Futuredial. They were helpful, and got me up and running. I am connected as we speak, and I am getting a connection speed of 230.4 kbps... I do remember using the sprint dialer at my house I did get higher rates than when I was out on the plains... not sure with this new setup.

I also asked the tech person at Futuredial about sprint charging me extra for using the phone like this. He mentioned that because I have the vision plan, there should be no extra charges... he mentioned as we all have that they are just trying to get you to buy their $200+ air cards.

I went to the SPC Meso An. Page and looped some of the models, and it handled it all quite well.

Finally I found out that wilson electronics has the adapter for my phone that works with their mag mount...

That with my wifi card... I'm now ready to go.

I have used Cingular for the last few years now, and I must say it exceeds my expectations every year. I chased in central IL the other day, Quincy-Peoria-Bloomington, etc. and rarely ever lost a signal, yeah it drops out occasionally, but that’s to be expected when moving 70mph between towers. I have a new nokia phone this year that has worked flawlessly. Its great because I connect to my laptop through bluetooth so that I don't have to have it connected with a cable, I can have my phone anywhere within 30 feet of the laptop and it has no problems. The other advantage to Cingular's GPRS is that is does not use your min., just data and when you receive a call it places your data on hold and resumes when you hang up, so no reconnecting every time someone calls you. I love this feature since I use my phone for communication and data.

Dan

Dan, thats cool I was thinking about using the bluetooth USB adapter to connect my phone to my laptop too. Have you ever experienced problems with this? Like interferance with WiFi (if you use it)? Also what do you use to access the non-wap sites, do you use dataPilot like rdewey mentioned above?

Sorry ya'll, kinda deviating from topic of "man, screw sprint"

I have used Sprint for the last 4 years now while I am chasing....So far so good. I have the old plan where it is only $10.00 a month added to the bill which gives me unlimited data (or wireless web) which is nice. The main thing I have found with any of the major cell phone companys is the coverage (Well the faster data coverage)....Last year I had to back track 10 miles to get a internet connection while chasing one of the many storms in Happer Co Ks. I spoke with someone at Altel wireless and they told me that Altel will have high speed data (like Sprint, T-moble etc...) up and running by years end...Since they (Altell) cover most of the rual areas of Great Plains this might be something to look foward too. But for right now Sprint is about the best for fast mobile connection.

Jay Cazel
KC0NXG

I have used Cingular for data connects and the speed is
great, although I have not measured it with a speed
testing program. (I'll test and post later).

Most major highways are covered, even some small ones
in KS and E. Co. The coverage map on their site is somewhat
conservative. They also offer a service allowing normal dial in
instead of the usual GPRS. It's around $3.00 a month but it does
not include any ISP.

I use "Toll Free ISP" to dial into. The speed is much slower,
about 9600, but great for text data like obs, and outlooks
which I am more concerned about at crunch time.

The problem is they (Cingular) apparently like to use assorted dial-up
connecting data (address, name, number etc.) in different parts of the
nation. I have even experienced changes on a local level from
CINGULAR to CINGULARPPRS, etc. in the dial-up string, so
be aware of all possible settings and combinations before blasting off.

Mike

Dan

Dan, thats cool I was thinking about using the bluetooth USB adapter to connect my phone to my laptop too. Have you ever experienced problems with this? Like interferance with WiFi (if you use it)? Also what do you use to access the non-wap sites, do you use dataPilot like rdewey mentioned above?

Sorry ya'll, kinda deviating from topic of "man, screw sprint"

Jason,

I have had no problems using both. I just recently started using the bluetooth so 3/30 was kind of my test drive for it and it worked great! I don't have any problem acessing non-wap sites. Everything seems to load just fine. Cingular has connection software you can download, but I find windows works just as good or better in some cases. There are 2 different data options. They have data connect which is $80 a month for unlimited, and the wap version that is $25 a month for unlimited. The wap version can be set up to connect to you laptop through your phone. If you search some of the phone forums on the net you can find these details.

Dan

Back