The Utility of Tech Chasing

I chase with just enough to be useful to me, not too much to distract me, and vary it some. There are some items I will not go out without - one example is communications equipment - cb, radios, scanners, phone. Some items I never use - televisions, overhead lightbars, multiple computers. Some things I vary, depending - camera and video equipment, and items I use specifically for Monsoon or just for Plains. Whatever it is, it has to earn its keep if it's going to take up room in my vehicle and require fuss-time. To me, that is time away from storms. I agree with Shane, gasoline in Phoenix starts at $2.35/gallon. Some types of extra equipment would weigh more and cost gas over long trips. A lot of people in the desert permanently store their golf clubs in their trunks. That does impact the gas mileage so I can see how stocking up a chase truck with equipment would make a difference. I do not store my ultra-heavy Monsoon-proof Bogen tripod in my vehicle on a regular basis. The thing weighs as much as a small aircraft :)

1) Is Tech for chasing cost effective?
2) Can you find more storms using tech, or does it cost you storms?
3) Does dealing with tech kill the aesthetics and enjoyment of chasing?

1) If you're making money, I would venture to say probably... but if you're a hobbyist as most chasers are, I would say no. The up-front price alone on most things is enough to send most chasers for a loan. Add to that subscriptions costs and monthly bills and you're definately hurtin for cash.

2) Again, that depends on your level of experience. Amature to novice chasers will likely prosper with the help of techie gadgets. Even some "new-age" chasers who have a lot of experience will likely score better with their toys. Old-school chasers like Moller have more field experience and have the experience without the toys to where they're able to sniff out storms with nothing but their wit. I, personally, find aid in having the toys at my side.

3) I'm a techie nerd, so chasing not only allows me the chance to chase after my life's passion, it also wraps into it various other hobbies and fun things I enjoy; such as road trips and gadgets! Why do you think I enjoy chasing so much! I gives me a PERFECT excuse to go out and buy GPS, laptops, software, etc. Its part of my enjoyment to have all of that... you just need to know when to let it go. For instance, on April 10; used the Baron system all day, but I never once glanced at a computer screen when something was visually going on around me. No need for it then!

I guess its a personal preference. I enjoy my gadgets and like to use them! Does it aid in catching storms? Most definately; I didn't grow up in the Great Plains, so it'll be another 10 years before I feel comfortable enough with the skies to let go of my toys to get me there. But you damn well better believe when my eyes are fixed in the skies, the gadgets are just radiation sitting aside...

I carry a lot of equipment in my truck, but all of it is not used specifically for chasing. I have numerous public service band radios installed, as my vehicle is used as a back-up command unit for emergency management and the fire dept. that I belong to. The weather instrumentation is very usefull at wildland fires. I do have a Federal Vision light bar (clear and amber lenses) with the Smart Siren unit, and signalmaster, along with scene lighting, which are necessary for several aspects of my other positions. Laptop with GPS and wireless (adding satellite internet unit), television, 2 scanners (which I only need when chasing out of state), power inverters, ham radio gear, radio broadcast EMWIN unit, lightning detector, strobes in the head and taillights...well, as you can see, I am a maxi-gear chaser. My point is that while I do use this on chases, a lot of gear is primarily used for other purposes. Can it be distracting? Sure...especially if you attempt to re-boot the computer while driving (which is why Texas is minus one large turkey). You just have to make yourself stay focused.

In reference to what Shane was saying, I do notice a noticable difference in gas mileage when I have the truck fully decked out...between 4-6 MPG difference, especially on the highway. All of that stuff does create quite a drag.

Back