What Are The Chances of Thundersnow in Northern NJ/NYC?

Anyone here know what the chances are for thundersnow with this snowstorm that's gonna hit my area overnight? These events usually bring some form of thundersnow, and I'm looking forward to that

:D

Typically thundersnow conditions exist where there is a significant mixture of water/ice/snow is occurring, say at a mixing layer aloft where cold air exists at the surface but there is a warm layer aloft ...

To my knowledge and experience such conditions I have observed when there was lightning and it was snowing ... it happened to me once in Wyoming where we were getting a mix of everything as it was like April, and several times in PA where the low pressure center stayed more inland and warm air was drawn in over colder air locked in valleys.

Since this system becomes more occluded with time and cold air is really penetrating behind, the odds are not in favor. But you never know, anything can happen. NJ seems to stay all snow throughout ... yet there will be a great deal of lift in southern portions. You'll just have to let us know.

Who won the over/under bet on when Saul was going to start this topic?

The NWS has been mentioning the possiblity of thunder snow and 3"+ per hour snowfall rates.

The NWS has been mentioning the possiblity of thunder snow and 3"+ per hour snowfall rates.

LMAO!! :lol: Am I THAT predictable?? :p

Geeze-ya'd think with a bunch of STORM CHASERS here, I'd figure YOUSE guys would bring that question up!! :p :p :p :p

:wink:

LMAO!! :lol: Am I THAT predictable?? :p

Geeze-ya'd think with a bunch of STORM CHASERS here, I'd figure YOUSE guys would bring that question up!! :p :p :p :p

:wink:

Wrong... TORNADO chasers. I find that most aren't happy unless they witness a nader... :lol: :wink:

^

Yeah, whatever. :roll: :wink:

Even if there's a hint of a convective event, I expected to see folks here foaming at the mouth. :p

Hey-maybe if one of these thundersnow events becomes severe enough, we'll get a snownado. :p :wink: :p :wink:

:D

Seriously-WAAAY cool on the thundersnow predictions. Looking forward to it. :)

6:20am in Larchmont NY (southern Westchester county)...I just saw a thundersnow CG!!! I just now turned on my video cnmera and caught a subsequent flash of lightning, but not nearly as impressive as that first one.

About 6" on the ground now but it's hard to tell with all the blowing/drifting snow.

Originally posted by Dave Lewison
6:20am in Larchmont NY (southern Westchester county)...I just saw a thundersnow CG!!! I just now turned on my video cnmera and caught a subsequent flash of lightning, but not nearly as impressive as that first one.

About 6" on the ground now but it's hard to tell with all the blowing/drifting snow.

+/- that was the same stuff I was seeing in Darien. Larchmont is about 17 miles to our southwest.

For now the heaviest band has been setup about 5 miles inland. Hopefully that will pivot through sometime later this morning. 7" on the ground as of 7:15am.

Wow! Just read Central Park had just under a foot as of about a half hour ago.

Around 2 a.m., I was on my PC-and I heard a clap of weak thunder. No lightning, though.

I took some pics a few minutes ago, so I'll see about posting a couple.

Around 2 a.m., I was on my PC-and I heard a clap of weak thunder. No lightning, though.

Saul...I'm sure there the lightning was there if you heard the thunder. :D

As far as the current blizzard goes, indeed there is incredible banding occurring over NYC...just about ready to move east into Nassau County, Long Island. Another band moving from the Atlantic Northward toward Suffolk County. These are so intense that it is feasible to expect 3-4" per hour of snowfall with them. And it is also likely that there will be some Thundersnow associated with the bands as well since there is so much UVM with them.

TIDBIT: NWS NYC just said they had about 12" of snow on the ground at 7am and they expected an additional 8" of snow with the enhanced banding. They said it was already a Top 10 snowstorm for the city with the potential for a Top 5 Snowstorm if they get up to 20". Wow, 20 inches in NYC...that will shut the city down for days!!! :oops:

snow2.jpg

snow4.jpg

Originally posted by HAltschule

I'm sure there the lightning was there if you heard the thunder. :D

Are you absolutely sure about that, Howie? :D

Back