Tornadoes in the New York City Area

We do get some violent thunderstorms here in the northern New Jersey/ New York City area, but for the most part, amazingly, we've mostly avoided tornadoes. I think we may have had a weak waterspout several years ago near the George Washington Bridge.

Here's a link that mentions a couple of weak New York City area tornadoes:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/readynewy...ard_severe.html

I'd like to at least see a funnel cloud.

:)

NJ gets more than just waterspouts. They get a handfull of tornadoes every year. The problem is visibility. They are always rain wrapped or blocked by trees.

Connecticut is about the same as Jersey. In the past 20 years though we have had three F3's.

One of the more spectacular tornado photographs I've seen from the NY/NE area. Click below (Yep, thats the Statue of Liberty). :!:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/severewx.html

AUGH!!! :banghead: angry9: :sad2: :fucyc:

Why do I ALWAYS miss the COOL stuff???

Oh well-I was a mini-Saul back then. :D Ironically, that was the year I bought my first weather radio-but it wasn't until August, though.

Well, hopefully I'll see a funnel-and as long as no one gets hurt.

:?

NJ gets more than just waterspouts. They get a handfull of tornadoes every year. The problem is visibility. They are always rain wrapped or blocked by trees.

Connecticut is about the same as Jersey. In the past 20 years though we have had three F3's.

True-but for some reason, most of them-if I recall correctly-seem to happen in Central and Southern New Jersey.

:?

Yeah, central and southern Jersey has a much more favorable landscape for tornadoes.

That is a great pic of the tornado in New York City. They showed us that picture in storm spotter training.

Well in Bridgeport, all i've seen is a funnel cloud that came awful close to brushing a building and this past summer a weak F0 touched down in brookfield. But we do get major ones every once and awhile.

Back