Planning a 2 week chase trip to the alley

Laura:

I agree with all the comments that other folks have mentioned.

Here is my experience/suggestion:

Beg/borrow/steal/convince your spouse/partner/employer to take 3 weeks off for chasing instead of two. That sounds like a bunch of time, but this is what I've done during the 90s with great success. For some reason, that extra week really helps, as it gives the atmosphere time to change dramatically from a death ridge to some great southwesterly flow to chase along with good moisture improvements.

After all..life is a one way street. There may be a time where our health will prevent us from chasing. I say...enjoy it now (within reason)...we may not get another chance.

If you're 30 something, and based on average life spans/mobilities..there are only 30+ springs left in your lifetime to physically chase and enjoy the atmosphere.

Tim

Here is another recent thread with more info:

http://stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?...ht=productivity

Currently I am very blessed to have a very flexible job that allows me to maximize my tornado chances. I block off May 1 to June 15, not scheduling any major meetings, activites or anything important during that time. I still work normally, but after May 1, I go on 'standby' mode, ready to leave town at a moment's notice and be gone 1, 2 or 3 weeks.

I stay out on the Plains as long as there is an active pattern, then go home. If there is another active period, I'll go out again. It's cheaper for me to go back home during an incative time than to stay out there waiting. I live an average of 17 hours away from the typical Plains target, but from May 1 to June 15 I act as if it's a trip across town. That sounds like a long distance, but it's just 1 day of driving - very doable. We spend all day driving when chasing anyway, what's one more day out and back.

If you can't take three weeks as Tim said, see if your employer will at least allow you to adjust your departure date backward or forward at least one week if the pattern warrants. An adjustable departure date, even by just a few days, will work wonders for your chances.

When it comes to chase planning, flexibility=tornadoes.

Originally posted by Edward Ballou+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Edward Ballou)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Bill Tabor
There used to be a paper on Storm Track - probably in the archives. Perhaps another online tornado climatology would show it as well.

where's that link to the NWS animation of peak tornadoes? I can't find it in the archives.[/b]

Some of the old Stormtrack issues had info or topics related to chase climatology. Here are some that I found:

'When To Chase' - by Robert Prentice Nov-Dec '92 Vol 16 http://www.stormtrack.org/library/forecast...st/besttime.htm

'Chase Climatology' - by Eric Bucsela March-April '97 Vol 20
(Couldn't find it online in the Stormtrack archive)

Of course there is the very good NSSL online reference: "Severe Thunderstorm Climatology"
http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/hazard/
(Looks like they updated it some recently)

Back