Northwest Flow Severe Weather Events

I find NW flow events disorientingā€¦ Are they ever prolific tornado producers? I can see getting some good supercell structure in eastern CO or the TX panhandle, but itā€™s not the type of thing any of us are really hoping for when we go out thereā€¦ Itā€™s a consolation prize at bestā€¦ I canā€™t recall any particularly memorable NW flow supercell events in all my years of chasing.

I find NW flow events disorientingā€¦ Are they ever prolific tornado producers? I can see getting some good supercell structure in eastern CO or the TX panhandle, but itā€™s not the type of thing any of us are really hoping for when we go out thereā€¦ Itā€™s a consolation prize at bestā€¦ I canā€™t recall any particularly memorable NW flow supercell events in all my years of chasing.
I'm sure the Campo event was NW flow.

I have photographed tons of tornados over the past 29 years. A money shot of a bare bones LP supercell has eluded me. Maybe later this season??

I really hate NW flow and will skip those set ups unless I am stuck out on the Plains with nothing better to do. In the Mid-Atlantic, NW is a little better at producing decent storms and I'll chase those set ups.

Plainfield, IL in 1990 was a NW flow event. The Chicago NWS office has a great 30-year review of it here: 30 Years Later: The August 28, 1990 F-5 Plainfield Tornado

Very interesting to look at the reanalyzed large-scale fields, as they show nothing synoptically evident of the potential of a high-end tornado. That goes to show you that EF5-potential setups are likely present more often than we may suspect, but that actually getting such a high-end tornado depends on factors far below the synoptic scale. I suspect the extreme total instability, low LCL & LFC heights, and degree of 3-km CAPE played a significant role in getting such a strong tornado.

Midsummer NW flow setups have produced other notable violent tornadoes in the Midwest, such as the July 13, 2004 Roanoke, IL F4 and I believe the July 18, 1996 Oakfield F5 (northwest flow assumed from the track maps which showed the tornadoes that day moving NW-SE).

However as @Jeff Duda noted above, violent tornadoes from such setups are certainly the rare exception and it's pretty much impossible to pick out ahead of time which ones will produce one.

You know, after this 12 to 18 June period of going back and forth on whether to go or not to go and then deciding not to.. there was certainly some chaseable structure days without question based on all of the Twitter postings over the last week. But the overall quality was lacking so I kinda feel mixed about it.

Back