New Stormtrack logo contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Bump

I'm bumping this thread since I mentioned it in the "How can we make Stormtrack better for 2011" thread found here ST 2011. I wanted to seek opinions on how we should go about reviving the Stormtrack logo contest.

I thought it would be a good idea to allow members (who are interested) the opportunity to refresh their logos in the event they want to include radar images or pictures from the 2010 chase season, since it was such an epic chase season. Would the end of the month be a reasonable time frame or should we make the deadline to refresh or create new logos somewhere in December? In any event once the suggestions are incorporated into the contest we can nail down a deadline and then create a poll at the end so everyone can vote for their favorite logo. Please let me know how you want to proceed as I am all ears at this point. This contest is for the members and you own it, so any and all ideas should be brought forth for consideration.

I'm bumping this thread since I mentioned it in the "How can we make Stormtrack better for 2011" thread found here ST 2011. I wanted to seek opinions on how we should go about reviving the Stormtrack logo contest.

I thought it would be a good idea to allow members (who are interested) the opportunity to refresh their logos in the event they want to include radar images or pictures from the 2010 chase season, since it was such an epic chase season. Would the end of the month be a reasonable time frame or should we make the deadline to refresh or create new logos somewhere in December? In any event once the suggestions are incorporated into the contest we can nail down a deadline and then create a poll at the end so everyone can vote for their favorite logo. Please let me know how you want to proceed as I am all ears at this point. This contest is for the members and you own it, so any and all ideas should be brought forth for consideration.

Good idea! I created a logo which I am attaching. I don't have many radar or satellite images, but I took another image with METAR and GOES and combined it into this logo with a phrase that StormTrack can use if they like the logo.

Attachments

• StormTrackLogo.jpg
    StormTrackLogo.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 152
stormtrack3.jpg

They all ran out of gas cause summer prices skyrocketed. Sean was chasing the wrong storm, the DOW's didn't want to be part of the gang, and well that's Reed flying around the twister. We told him his dominator wasn't tough enough. ;)

Thats absolutely freaking HILARIOUS!! OK, maybe not quite that funny, but it is funny nonetheless. :D

danny3-1.jpg
- something I whipped up, obviously if chosen I will do one without my watermark

danny2-1.jpg

100617kiester1-1-1.jpg
I like this one best

Crap I thought I saved the 500x220 ratio.... hold on!

I like your 2nd image Danny. The font makes it look very contemporary and that picture is just awesome. The wall/collar cloud surrounding the tornado is practically on the ground. Was that the Bowdle tornado or the southern Minnesota tornado from June 17th?

I like your 2nd image Danny. The font makes it look very contemporary and that picture is just awesome. The wall/collar cloud surrounding the tornado is practically on the ground. Was that the Bowdle tornado or the southern Minnesota tornado from June 17th?

Southern Minnesota, June 17th. Amazing storm. I have so many images of this storm, it was an all out beast. Most dramatic supercell I have ever seen! In fact all three of those images above are from that supercell!

Jeff D are you out there? I know you mentioned this contest in another thread as something you were interested in. If you would like to weigh in we'd appreciate it.

I definitely want to give everyone a chance to refresh their images if they are still interested, but I don't want this to go on forever either. Let's see if some interest can be stirred up and then if not I'll get to work on a poll for next week.

I have no ability, or should I say limited ability, to create a logo worthy of being published, however I would like to make a suggestion. The logo needs to be easy to reproduce on bumper stickers, hats, t-shirts, etc. Simple is often the best. Don't get me wrong, there are some great logo's that have been suggested here, but I think they may get lost in translation when applied to something other than a computer screen. Font is THE key. I don't mean to sound like a politician by griping without offering a viable example....Ill be running for mayor of Illinois in 2012.

I have no ability, or should I say limited ability, to create a logo worthy of being published, however I would like to make a suggestion. The logo needs to be easy to reproduce on bumper stickers, hats, t-shirts, etc. Simple is often the best. Don't get me wrong, there are some great logo's that have been suggested here, but I think they may get lost in translation when applied to something other than a computer screen. Font is THE key. I don't mean to sound like a politician by griping without offering a viable example....Ill be running for mayor of Illinois in 2012.

I have to echo this. Logos are supposed to be shapes, like vector images, not complex bitmaps. You should be able to shrink it to fit a postage stamp and blow it up to fit a billboard. If you look at the logo of any company, it's a set of shapes, not a scene or a photo.

But that doesn't mean the top banner shouldn't have a photo. I think the two ideas just need to be separated - Someone create a logo and someone else provide a background photo to go behind it.

There are a lot of contenders out here. A lot of time and effort for some. Is it possible to elect -perhaps four- and use them per season? Or pick twelve and use one per month? I thought many did a great job!

One other point. They would all look more grand of the were scaled up to cover up the entire top space next to the advert/banner. It would make it look a lot more like a magazine in this way.

Maybe the old ST magazine banner can also be above the logo; so as to preserve the posterity of that publication.
Could look fab . . . Some thoughts . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Mike Deep.

However, my two submissions would be more along the lines of banners for the top of the site. They do lack a good "logo"...

Whatever, though. I'll go ahead and repost them (old post has broken links and it won't allow me to edit).

one.jpg

two.jpg

But goodness, anything is better than the banner up there right now. Somebody replace it! I guess it's what people identify ST with, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back