New Stormtrack logo contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you want a logo or a header? I see some great ideas for headers here, but if it's a logo you're after, then I think it needs to stay very simple, with a single, extremely clean image that communicates effectively even when reduced to the size of a postage stamp. If we're looking for a header, simple is still good. I like both Stephen's and Dick's designs for a header. Stephen's first image of just the tornado minus the radar grab is the one of his two that I like best. Dick, your three-image approach looks great and says a lot while still managing to look uncluttered. What could you do with just the single image of the tornado?

Last edited by a moderator:
stormtrack%20V1.3.jpg

Version 1.3
Right...Now, if the STORMTRACK was moved to the lower right hand corner of the logo/header(?) w/o any shadow on the lettering - it will keep the tornado picture pristine and not interfere with the radar grab...voila!
:cool:

EDIT:...Or maybe put the "StormTrack' near the bottom/center - just to the right of the road and leading in to the radar grab. That will work too...

This is not the design I sketched up...but an idea nonetheless.

attachment.php

This is just and idea that simply updated the original logo from the print edition. Updated the graphic tornado, the sweeps below and added a third man at the bottom (which I decided the little men stood for the three owners of Stormtrack...David Hoadley, Tim Marshall and Tim Vasquez). I will have another design, but it will take a bit of time to develop as I'm not great with Adobe Illustrator. Same goes with this submission...things were just done quickly in photoshop...no illustrator used here.

Add:
Here is a version with fancier text:
attachment.php

Attachments

• stormtracklogoNEWsubmit.jpg
    stormtracklogoNEWsubmit.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,314
  • stormtracklogoNEW2.jpg
    stormtracklogoNEW2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 724
my response to the art director . . . :)

stormtrack%20V1.3.jpg

Right...Now, if the STORMTRACK was moved to the lower right hand corner of the logo/header(?) w/o any shadow on the lettering - it will keep the tornado picture pristine and not interfere with the radar grab...voila!
:cool:

I considered that Rob, however I felt red text and was needed
on the left image to keep the overall composition unified. Otherwise the piece gets divided into halves w/drab green hues on left and over-saturated chroma on the right. It needs a unifying element common to both sides. The red serves that purpose.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad #2 got more praise—I forgot to save a .psd for the first one.

Versions...

stormtrackprop3.jpg

Liking the one below with an edited color scale...

stormtrackprop4.jpg

Backdrop picture is my own... no copyright infringements today.

Also for contrast there's these nice ones from Mike Hollingshead, one of which we used for some duration in 2007. I seem to recall one of them we were using was taken down at his request but I can't recall the circumstances.

mhlogo.jpg

Maybe Mike didn't want us to use this Hurricane Katrina picture for a storm chasing website? :D

Maybe Mike didn't want us to use this Hurricane Katrina picture for a storm chasing website? :D

Boy, intercepting the eye of that storm seems like forever ago now.

Originally Posted by Tim Vasquez
Also for contrast there's these nice ones from Mike Hollingshead, one of which we used for some duration in 2007. I seem to recall one of them we were using was taken down at his request but I can't recall the circumstances.

I forget now too, but think it was 50% disgruntled over something and 50% the simple fact something else needed some time up there instead of it.

Just to let you all know the logo contest is still on. I've been sidetracked by finishing the upcoming book project, which is taking about 18 hours a day out of my schedule. I do expect that sometime in the next week we'll get the poll for a logo squared away. If any of the mods want to set one up, that's fine with me, otherwise I will get to it soon. I do expect because of the number of logos and the system limit of 10 choices we'll have to have multiple polls initially followed by a runoff.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back