National Weather Service Doppler Radar at Davenport IA will be unavailable April 3 through April 7 d

Yeah, fine time to do that with system after potent system lined up to cross the Midwest during that timeframe (same goes for Topeka). I know they probably scheduled this far in advance, but you'd think they would be able to postpone it to a less active/potentially dangerous-looking period.

The same upgrades took place in Sioux Falls during the winter storm event a few weeks ago. Fortunately, it only took 2 1/2 days and was back on line much earlier than expected. However, it was offline during the winter storm event in nearly its entirety.

If it is offline during a tornado or severe thunderstorm outbreak, chaser and spotter reports will be absolutely critical as low-level sweep information may be in unfortunately short supply.

The same upgrades took place in Sioux Falls during the winter storm event a few weeks ago. Fortunately, it only took 2 1/2 days and was back on line much earlier than expected. However, it was offline during the winter storm event in nearly its entirety.

If it is offline during a tornado or severe thunderstorm outbreak, chaser and spotter reports will be absolutely critical as low-level sweep information may be in unfortunately short supply.
[/b]
Kansas City also upgraded their radar a couple of weeks ago and it was back on-line in a couple of days also.

Yeah, fine time to do that with system after potent system lined up to cross the Midwest during that timeframe (same goes for Topeka). I know they probably scheduled this far in advance, but you'd think they would be able to postpone it to a less active/potentially dangerous-looking period.
[/b]

Yes, these are scheduled rather far in advance.

In general, sites may be able to swap dates with another site, if it looks to be active. Otherwise, the site can be postponed, but would be moved to the bottom of the list in terms of getting it done. I do not know of the time frame for the "bottom of the list" right now, which may not necessarily be any better.

ILX is scheduled the week of May 22.

Chris G.

Back