Hurricane Carla and Dan Rather

Dear Stormtrack Community

I saw this on the Accuweather site... I'm not a fan of them but this is important to share for those of us that don't know about the FIRST HURRICANE COVERAGE BY A NEWS STATION/OUTLET. I hope you like this ... and there will be another one to come... if I can find it.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurr...radar-that-changed-hurricane-coverage/1014484

Shawn C.

"NEWS STORMTRACKER"

"NBCDFW.COM"

The Weather Bureau made one of its kitschy movies about Carla and, especially, how it was tracked on the then-new WSR-57.

Oh, and for you young'uns, the image of Carla on the main scope was entirely simulated. These were cathode-ray scopes where the image faded immediately after the sweep passed and the radar had to be used in a dark room. In addition to the main scope (plan-position indicator or PPI), there was the range-height indicator (heights of storms) and an A-scope which was used for calibration and separating precipitation echoes from anomalous propagation. šŸ˜€

The radar film of Carla was from a separate PPI with a camera at all -57 sites. Those films were archived at the National Climatic Data Center in Asheville.

<iframe width="440" height="255" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back