Extreme heat in the Plains

Oklahoma City's temperature hit 112 F today, marking the second hottest temperature ever recorded in Oklahoma City and the warmest since August 1936. The alltime record continues to stand at 113 set during the Dust Bowl days of August 11th, 1936. The drought continues to intensify across much of the country (the coverage is, depending upon the metric chosen, one the largest in the past 100+ years), and, as typically comes with severe drought, the furnace-like conditions continue across the area. According to the latest Oklahoma Mesonet Ticker, July 2012 marked the 23rd above-average month out of the past 28 in Oklahoma. The soil temperature at 2 inches below bare soil today reached nearly 130 degrees in central and southwestern Oklahoma (I saw 129 F at Norman, but I didn't pay attention to all of the 5-minute obs so I may have missed a 130 F). I'm interested to know if anyone has taken an infrared thermometer to some black asphalt in Oklahoma during the past couple of days...

Tulsa went for the trifecta yesterday, tying the all-time record high minimum (88) and setting a new daily record high maximum (112) and all-time record warm average temperature (100) all in the same day. The statewide temperature thus far today has been 115 in Kingfisher, though many locations throughout the state experienced temperatures above 110 F.

Do you have stories about this current heat wave? Denver just recorded their all-time record warmest month as July 2012 came to a close ( http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KBOU/1207312157.nous45.html ). This summer's heat follows on the heals of the record-breaking winter and spring that parts of the U.S. experienced (including the ridiculously warm March in Minnesota and surrounding areas).

If you want to get away from the heat, head to southern Alaska! The position of the jet stream that has contributed to the extreme heat in much of the CONUS has resulted in some cold weather in southern Alaska. The July temperature anomaly map from NCDC isn't out yet, but here's the June map:
201206.gif

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/service/global/map-blended-mntp/201206.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an extremely accurate industrial contact temperature probe, and will take some measurements tomorrow, and post them up.

Wichita has been hot hot hot as well, and the cold front (ha) coming over the weekend actually has people talking about how nice it will be to get at least down the high 90's. Last year, Wichita saw 53 days over 100 degrees, and I'm almost ready to bet that we may see that again, especially since tomorrow will be day number 30 of over 100 temps.

Tim

while not quite as extreme as the southern states, here in Omaha we've been baking too. we recently had a streak of 15 straight 95+ degree days which was the second longest ever recorded. we've also been above 100 degrees, 8 times this year. most of the time, believe it or not, we may only hit 100 once in a summer. we're more than 2 degrees higher so far this year(Jan-July) than the previous record warmest year, and we're at the record warmest for any 12 month period ever.
we also just had the driest July ever, with only .01 recorded at the airport. here at my house in northwest Omaha, I hadn't had any measurable precip since June 23rd, until this morning when I received .04:) i've been wanting to go out and take some pics of the corn crop. it is UGLY!

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=oax&storyid=83193&source=0

My question: when does it end? The ridge that's been causing it is like a weeble that wobbles but won't fall down. Michigan's sufferings are nothing compared to what Sooners have been experiencing, but it's still rated a moderate to severe drought. Fortunately for us, we've actually been seeing a little rain lately, and the systems have been flattening out the ridge.

Hmmm... looking at the GFS, I see a tropical system moving inland around 8/11. That's a long way off, and all I can say is, I hope there's something to it. It might not be a good thing for the Texas coast, but in the bigger picture of the drought, it could come as welcome relief both in terms of cooling and rain for some of the driest, hottest areas.

These high temps here in Texas seem to becoming the norm along with very dry Spring months. Long term this is a serious problem.

As promised, a little show and tell....fitting, since today is our 30th day of over 100 degree temps.

First, a free-air reading, which agreed nicely with my phone, which runs BeWeather Pro. It reported 102.
7700737190_92bac1de17_c.jpg

Then, a reading off of the black rubberized lining in the bed of my truck:
7700739808_76fd53a4a8_c.jpg

Then, a reading of the black asphalt:
7700742128_a0feb304ce_c.jpg

Honestly, not quite as bad as I was anticipating....but I sure wouldn't want to be walking around bare-footed.

Tim

Maybe the sun hadn’t been hitting it long because I think asphalt in the sun on a hot day can reach 140 degrees or more.

Here in southern AR it hasn’t been as bad as last year. Fewer 100 degree days, and 5 inches of rain has been a pretty common total over the last 2 months. Last year there were a lot of trees that succumbed to the drought. A max temp of 111 on August 3rd didn’t help. Seems like I remember 114 degree reading but that may not have been official. Magnolia trees and Dogwoods were hit hard, but lots of mature oak trees died also. Fortsmith reached 115 on this day I believe. Central Arkansas is hurting again this year.

One thing I’ve noticed is lots of doodlebugs. With little to no moisture in the soil they are able to make their traps anywhere there is loose dirt. When I was a kid I had to look under some shed. I’ve also found some geckos the last few years, never seen them before. This year I found a whole passel of them. Maybe they were here all along, but with the warm temps and mild winter this last winter anyway, they seem to be multiplying.

while not quite as extreme as the southern states, here in Omaha we've been baking too. we recently had a streak of 15 straight 95+ degree days which was the second longest ever recorded. we've also been above 100 degrees, 8 times this year. most of the time, believe it or not, we may only hit 100 once in a summer. we're more than 2 degrees higher so far this year(Jan-July) than the previous record warmest year, and we're at the record warmest for any 12 month period ever.
we also just had the driest July ever, with only .01 recorded at the airport. here at my house in northwest Omaha, I hadn't had any measurable precip since June 23rd, until this morning when I received .04:) i've been wanting to go out and take some pics of the corn crop. it is UGLY!

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=oax&storyid=83193&source=0

I concur with the Omaha situation, definitely a bake. From what I've seen just off the I-80 most of the crops look really bad from Omaha to North Platte.

As far as the duration of the drought I'll leave that to the experts. I do find solace in the fact that we can find a similar year in 1936. I just don't think we had nearly as large of a population back then so of course the scope of impact may be broader. The insurance industry I'm sure will feel it with back to back years of high payouts.

I live in Dallas,Tx and even though the heat hasn't been as extream as in Oklahoma, it has still been blazing hot for the last 2 weeks! Today we hit 107 here with a heat index of 110 though many areas around Dallas had heat indexes near 115! All we are worried about in Dallas is when the heck is this heat wave going to END!We fear the worst because of last years mega drought disaster across 100% of Texas in a moderate to exceptional drought for months. Just the meer memory of not having rain fall frOm the sky for about 3 months where I live straight is a nightmare. But I can say that it hasn't been anywhere near as hot as last year when we hit 100 degrees or greater for 40 straight days but had about 70 100 degree or over days total. So far we are in a moderate drought here but many other areas just west are already in a severe to exceptional drought. Some say we may not see rain until September! So it's all DOOM again:(

here in hutchinson, ks 104-108 has been the norm this month so far. the last couple days have been more like 99 to 101! woo! I could literally piss a bigger stream than the arkansas river, the ninnescah river is completly dry upstream from the lake(wichita's city water supply). small creeks have been dry since may. major hydrological impacts. Worst of all.. no where to fish!!!

Every region has its tales to tell. The burst of abnormally high temperatures in February and March triggered an early growing season in Michigan. Wildflowers that normally bloom in April and May were three to four weeks ahead of schedule, and trees leafed out early. Then came mid-March and a return of colder weather--not a good thing for the cherry growers. Things went exactly as they had feared, and they have lost most of this year's crop. On the other hand, I hear that Michigan grapes have had an exceptionally good season. As for the corn ... well, it's the same story everywhere, isn't it.

As far as the duration of the drought I'll leave that to the experts. I do find solace in the fact that we can find a similar year in 1936. I just don't think we had nearly as large of a population back then so of course the scope of impact may be broader.

I struggle to find Solace in this drought fact as 1936 coincides with the worst economical and environmental period in our entire history.

1936 US population: 128 Million / Average US July temp: 77.4 (all time record before 2012)
2012 US population: 313 Million / Average US July temp: 77.6 (as of July 24)

If this keeps up for a couple of years then it will get much more interesting with food prices being the most dramatic. Recent studies show that the increasingly common extreme heat of the Southern & Central Plains has a significant impact on cattle reproduction, fewer healthy births combined with less grass and more expensive feed = very expensive beef products. Most cattle is being sold off now in response to drought related issues, this may temporarily reduce the cost as its several months early to sell off cattle.... the long term market will reflect the reality of the situation with these weather related issues.

I struggle to find Solace in this drought fact as 1936 coincides with the worst economical and environmental period in our entire history.

1936 US population: 128 Million / Average US July temp: 77.4 (all time record before 2012)
2012 US population: 313 Million / Average US July temp: 77.6 (as of July 24)

If this keeps up for a couple of years then it will get much more interesting with food prices being the most dramatic. Recent studies show that the increasingly common extreme heat of the Southern & Central Plains has a significant impact on cattle reproduction, fewer healthy births combined with less grass and more expensive feed = very expensive beef products. Most cattle is being sold off now in response to drought related issues, this may temporarily reduce the cost as its several months early to sell off cattle.... the long term market will reflect the reality of the situation with these weather related issues.

No I agree with you fully, what I meant by"finding solace" was that there's evidence that this isn't some cataclysmic event that some will try to use to promote fear.
I do understand that a drought at this time in US history can be a crippling blow to an already stretched economy. All I can hope for is that we do the right thing.

If it's any consolation, the farming and land management techniques have improved drastically since the Dust Bowl era of the 1930s. It seems that many of the problems that arose during the Dust Bowl were the result of poor farming strategies (e.g., relentless clearing of existing vegetation, extensive plowing of land, etc.) that happened to occur just as a drought was developing. As a result, there was a *lot* of plowed land, dust and dirt from which easily was lofted in the windy and warm weather. There are many anecdotes about roof-high dirt and dust drifts. There's no knowing what affect this had on surface albedo that may have fed back into surface heating, ridge building aloft (further discouraging precipitation), etc. This is in contrast to agricultural practices in the current day, with better crop rotation, irrigation, and other practices that should prevent another Dust Bowl-like period during this very widespread drought.

On a similar note, I wonder if it's harder to beat those 1936 records now because there are fewer areas of plowed or barren fields. I can only imagine the effect that a plowed field can have on local temperature (not that much unlike standing next to a large parking lot), so I assume, as a result of the improved farming and land management practices, it may actually be harder to get to those extreme temperatures in parts of the Plains. I'm thinking specifically of the Oklahoma City all-time high record of 113 F, which we've tested the past two days (ending at 112 both days). The 3 pm temperature at OKC is 110, so there's still about an hour and change to get to the 113 mark.

Back