Dorian Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard from Josh Morgerman or Jim Edds? At last update before landfall there they were at a school in Marsh Harbor, Abaco Islands.

Call me cynical but what better way to drum up media interest than by going 'missing' for a day and a half, only to 'miraculously' survive with great adventures to share! (Sorry, but his whole 'tough guy storm chaser!' act kinda rubs me the wrong way.)

Warren Faidley said:
Really amazing how many people were shooting footage with phone cameras in the Bahamas. Really kills the value of footage, unlike the old days.
Probably true, especially since they're willing to 'share' it with TV stations for free.
But I must say there is a big difference between a video taken on a phone held the wrong way(vertically), verses an actual camera, especially on a tripod.
...worst thing of all is how the TV guys like to take the 'blank space' on the sides of vertical-video and fill it with a blurry copy of the video. ug. awful. just leave it black, or better still, use some station/network graphics in that space.

Well...think about it; unlike highly transient events like tornadoes, this hurricane lasted for a couple of days, and many of the people who took cell phones of the storm damage are owners of destroyed homes. Their cell phones might be the only working piece of technology left in their possession and they really have nothing else to do with their lives at this moment besides take video of the devastation - and I mean that in the saddest possible way.

Also interesting how anyone who labels themselves a "hurricane chaser" and just casually risks their life to simply experience the mayhem, instead having any legitimate reason for being there, is looked upon as some type of hero. I guess this falls under the heading of "storm Influencer?" Kind of like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian.

Also interesting how anyone who labels themselves a "hurricane chaser" and just casually risks their life to simply experience the mayhem, instead having any legitimate reason for being there, is looked upon as some type of hero. I guess this falls under the heading of "storm Influencer?" Kind of like Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian.

Not sure this is any different than with storm (tornado) chasers - if not by intent or in actuality, then at least by public perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back