Discover Channel Tornado Special tonight

There was a little bit of my footage on there "Holy Cow thats is the most beautiful tornado I've seen," really close to the beginning. This was from 2005. They included it briefly in other sections of the show as well in the first 30 minutes.

They stuck fairly close to time line and tornado events. Though they did not use some of the footage I expected from my stuff, possibly because miscommunication, I am just happy something was aired. That tornado still to this day is the most beautiful tornado I have seen.

Obviously lots of decent footage, though with Manchester coming in a close second, the 99 stuff easily stole the show. It was somewhat easy to see what stuff was acquired for free/cheap and what stuff came with a cost, as they would show some poor footage for several seconds and then only show a second or two of the good shots which got kind of annoying. While it was far from the best tornado documentary I have seen, it was nice to see some pure tornado footage on TV again without the added reality twist.

This show was okay, but the Raging Nature featuring tornadoes with Doswell a month or two ago was considerably better done.

An average entertaining show. I remember that they screwed up the date of the Oklahoma pig farm tornado. It was on May 24, not 23rd. Scott Mcpartland did a great interview. Gotta love the hail dents on his vehicle in the background.

Of all the vid that's available, why did they have to dig up the KS Turnpike overpass? They really could have left that one out.
Now this Manitoba footage...that's cool stuff! I haven't seen that one before, either.

Some of the Manitoba footage was from Shirley Marcotte. I had contacted her and obtained the footage for Storms of 2007. There is a bonus section at the end of Storms of 2007 with that footage (much longer than shown on this show. I gave the producer of this show, contact info for Ms. Marcotte as they could not find the info on their own. I hope she sold the video to them!

I sent them HDV footage of the Quinter tornado crossing the road and they had no ability to access HDV and their tech people hadn't heard of HDV when I talked with them. I had to resend them the footage in SD format that they decided not to use.

As for the turnpike footage, it is old but still cool footage. At least they later said not to hide under overpasses. They did take some liberties as with the chasers being hit by supposed F3 tornado. That was addressed earlier in the film. Over all, I give it a B+ for entertainment and C for science.

Bill Hark'

I wanted to post here and let people know that the SevereStudios team knows that this show is not sticking to the truth and nothing but the truth...they took some liberties on how they portrayed our "In The Tornado" event

That was a given.

I don't see the need in posting a public reaction to inaccuracies regarding the way they used your video (other than another opportunity to plug your sh*t). Of course they're going to sensationalize it. Not even being hit by a tornado is good enough on its own, they have to add drama to everything, which is why I'd rather eat my own face than watch these crap shows.

They're on May 3 right now...I think it's David Payne's footage...this is stuff I haven't seen before. So far it's not a bad show.

By the way the good majority of the May 3rd material (as well as 2004 for that matter) was Jeff Piotrowski's, I'd recognize that video if I were watching it on a 8" B&W screen, I've seen it many times, yet everytime I watch it again, I can't get enough.

Tornado Rampage

That's right, Dustin, it was Jeff's footage. We included several never before seen clips just to shake things up a bit! They used about 5 and 1/2 total minutes of footage of May 3, 1999 and May 4, 2003. I am suprised that no one noticed the sound bites that they used, with Jeff's audio on other clips at the beginning. The credits were given at the end with TwisterChasers.Com listed.

Overall I thought it was a good program, this is the first time that we have worked with this production company and it was a good, professional experience.

It is so easy to pick apart programs that we are so closely related to Dr.'s do it, lawyers do it, law enforcement do it (Thanks Sean for the inside info) we do it. I, just like everyone else, HATE it when the facts are wrong or someone is mis-quoted. Drives me NUTS!

Kathryn Piotrowski
TwisterChasers.Com

I was hoping that they would have shown more of 2008 as they said.
Or as I was led to believe.
I did hear Reed Timmer say "you gotta be kidding me!!!" during the Mulvane KS clip.
Again...
Did he ever get that expression registered as a part of his trademark?!?

I'm guessing they must have viewed the Greensburg chapter of SO2007 to get their video. Not a bad idea really. They specifically told me that they had seen my footage on that DVD. There was about 3 seconds of footage showing damage as I drove down that main E-W highway in town.

It wasn't too bad. Even if some parts may have been sensationalized, and other misdated or misrepresented, still hard to beat an hour full of tornado videos at 1 am over some of the other stuff they put on TV.

I'm guessing they must have viewed the Greensburg chapter of SO2007 to get their video. Not a bad idea really. They specifically told me that they had seen my footage on that DVD. There was about 3 seconds of footage showing damage as I drove down that main E-W highway in town.

They were all over me about my Mulvane footage and said they'd seen it on the SO2004 DVD...which is copyrighted. I didn't have a screener prepared at the time so I passed...they better not have used anything of mine from the Storms of 2004...that's be TWO lawsuits.

I thought it was a good program. I would have liked to have seen more from 2008, but it was all interesting.

One thing I was reminded of.....we really need to watch what we say when the cameras are on. I know if we say out loud that we "hope" something produces that it has no bearing on whether or not it actually does, but it really sounds bad when those clips are sandwiched between the clips of death and destruction. I know most areas of tornado alley are desolate and I have really wanted storms to produce before when we were in the middle of nowhere, but I think we get a bad rap at times because of what has been said/portrayed on video (again...likely two different scenarios). That is one thing that made more sense to me when I chased on the plains.....hundreds of tornadoes happen every season out there that may not do anything but knock down a few fence posts. I really tried to defend storm chasers to people after seeing it first hand. Most people don't realize that most tornadoes out there don't do any damage and never make the news.

Overall a good show and I'm looking forward to next month.

It wasn't a bad show. As is typical with these shows, they managed to get some of their facts wrong. I won't go into details except for the "pig farm" tornado of May 24th being listed as occurring on May 23rd. Also, they got the EF ratings for many of the tornadoes wrong.

I always enjoy seeing May 3rd video. I liked how they added some rare footage of the supercells on May 3rd before they began producing tornadoes.

Most of their graphics sucked as usual, however the satellite loop from Mulvane was a nice addition.

Not a bad show....they should have used May 23rd video and more video from May 24th.

Back