Difference b/t a Line of Storms and MCS?

I am curious and having a hard time finding a good differentiation of the two online. What are the differences b/t a line of storms and a MCS? More specifically how are the two differentiated on radar? I know the environmental conditions that lead to an MCS, Multi-cell, supercell, etc... But am curious what to look for on radar to identify a line of storms or an MCS? Thanks in advance.

Not really... Two storms connected with some stratus rain can be considered a line. The "official" definition says you need to have over 60mi long of continuous precip.

mesoscale convective system—(Abbreviated MCS.) A cloud system that occurs in connection with an ensemble of thunderstorms and produces a contiguous precipitation area on the order of 100 km or more in horizontal scale in at least one direction.
An MCS exhibits deep, moist convective overturning contiguous with or embedded within a mesoscale vertical circulation that is at least partially driven by the convective overturning.

I think part of it may have to do with the organization of the system. Linear MCSs (e.g. squall lines) tend to have certain organizational marks -- such as the weak reflectivity region behind the leading convective precipitation core, the presence of a wake-low and cold-pool high, etc. Since an MCS is a system by definition, the various convective cores should interactive with each other to promote a higher-level organization (mesoscale vs stormscale). I think a lot of it may be somewhat pedantic, however.

Thanks, that clears it up a bit but what is Convective Overturning? I am thinking it means forcing convection via gust front/outflow, is that wrong? Also is there a way to classify a MCS using radar alone?

Edit: just saw Jeff's post above answering my radar question, thanks.

I've seen the term loosely used several times when it would not meet the offical AMS criteria.

Mesoscale Convective System. A complex of thunderstorms which becomes organized on a scale larger than the individual thunderstorms, and normally persists for several hours or more. MCSs may be round or linear in shape, and include systems such as tropical cyclones, squall lines, and MCCs (among others). MCS often is used to describe a cluster of thunderstorms that does not satisfy the size, shape, or duration criteria of an MCC.
www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/severewx/glossary3.php

Precipitation systems 20 to 500 km (11 to 270 n mi) wide that contain deep convection. Examples in mid-latitudes are large isolated thunderstorm complexes, squall lines, Mesoscale Convective Complexes (MCCs), and rainbands. meted.ucar.edu/satmet/goeschan/glossary.htm

Back