Chromebook vs laptop

To clarify, "end of support" isn't really about getting help from Microsoft - it is all about getting patches for security issues. The internet is a bad place and even "safe" sites can become unknowing hosts to some pretty bad stuff. If your are going to connect a machine to the internet without the latest security patches you are gambling. Sure you will probably be fine most of the time, but when you go to leave for a chase and find your laptop infected with malware you are going to have a bad day.

Speaking of going to leave for the chase and finding your laptop in a bad state - for those not used to Windows 8 and 10 - you no longer have control over when or if Microsoft updates your OS (outside of a setting to keep it from updating on a metered connection). I have been looking at data at home before a chase and suddenly it decides to install an update right as I am heading out the door. Not good. Also not good is Microsoft can (and does) add/delete features as they see fit. They have moved to a licensed model on their OS and you no longer own a copy - just the right to use what ever copy Microsoft decides to get you.

Another issue with not running the latest Microsoft OS, is that more and more websites are checking web browser version. Some sites are refusing to display anything in IE (even though it is still a part of Windows 10) and requiring a certain version of Edge, Firefox or Chrome. None of these browsers support XP and Vista anymore. Can you get it to work - probably. Is it worth the time and headaches - that is your call.

As you can see, I don't think anyone here is a die hard Windows fan. Having said that, it is the gorilla of OS market share and until programs like GR will run on other OSes, you will probably find most of us using Windows.

The only purpose of bringing my laptop with me on a chase anymore is just for editing and uploading footage on the road. I'm able to do the majority of my forecasting on my android tablet and phone, and when actually chasing Radarscope gets the job done.

A Chromebook itself would be fairly limited compared to an actual laptop, and you'd likely be better off just sticking with a tablet at that point or going for a full blown laptop.

I guess I like my setup somewhat.

Tablet : Galaxy Tab S4. I installed Win 10 Pro on it so i would not get any surprises if it decided to update itself.
Run Radar Scope on it, along with RepeaterBook to locate repeaters around me.
Don't like the case too slippery (about the only thing i do not like about it). Need to get an arm to mount to my RAM mount to hold it.
Just sticking it upright in the console makes it not easy to glance at.

Laptop : Asus, something like around 16 inch screen. I7 proc. Draws too many amps : 2.5 or there about, battery good for only about 3 hours.
Its too big really, but spent too much money on it to think about going smaller at this time. Use a mifi and an external GPS dongle on it when I need positioning and maps on it. It also has Radarscope on it for larger images. Also runs an app for controlling the PTZ roof camera, plus some other programs i use at times.

Mount for the Asus is a RAM mount. Suppose to fit my vehicle, but didn't really.
Had to drill the base of it to match right hand floor mount and cut a 2 inch piece of 1/2 inch pipe for left side to hold it more forward of the seat. Even though was listed as fitting my vehicle as a bolt up, it did not.

Ken Perrin said:
I have a Verizon MiFi mobile wifi/hotspot, it works wherever I have a cell signal. I may look into a signal booster, because there are many dead spots in my area.
A device along the line of that is deff something I'd have to consider If I ever really got into chasing.
At this point though my cell plan is .very. basic... 1 device, and 500 megabytes/month data limit. (but it is free)
I don't know how coverage is here in CO once you get east of the city areas.

Randy Jennings said:
for those not used to Windows 8 and 10 - you no longer have control over when or if Microsoft updates your OS (outside of a setting to keep it from updating on a metered connection). I have been looking at data at home before a chase and suddenly it decides to install an update right as I am heading out the door. Not good. Also not good is Microsoft can (and does) add/delete features as they see fit. They have moved to a licensed model on their OS and you no longer own a copy - just the right to use what ever copy Microsoft decides to get you.
Actually with Windows 8, you can simply turn off updates just like in all previous versions. Problem solved. (Windows 10 you can't turn it off)
You can also do as I do, and network-block anything with 'microsoft' in its URL (also needed for various other domains they use).
Can be done a home network pretty easily _if_ your router supports url/keyword blocking. (same would be true of a mobile hotspot).
Some routers have a bug that causes blocking to fail if its a SSL connection...which is why I plan on looking more into something better like pfSense firewall or pi-hole.

I also do have a suggestion on tablets:
A smaller tablet with 7" or 8" screen is nice for portability, but a larger one with say, a 10" screen sure is nice for seeing things. I personally would go for the larger one...unless you plan on carrying it around with you allot.

The metered connection setting has stopped my Win10 laptop from updating on the road. I can then update when I'm on a land-based internet connection.

I’ve never used a Chromebook but there are plenty of chase days when I use nothing but an iPad. It gives me access to all of the data and models I need on the Internet, I’ve got both Google and Apple maps, and I’ve got RadarScope. I bring a laptop with me but some days I don’t even boot it up at all. My chase buddy used to have Baron on his laptop, but we stopped using that years ago and never did adopt GR.

A device along the line of that is deff something I'd have to consider If I ever really got into chasing.
At this point though my cell plan is .very. basic... 1 device, and 500 megabytes/month data limit. (but it is free)
I don't know how coverage is here in CO once you get east of the city areas.

Actually with Windows 8, you can simply turn off updates just like in all previous versions. Problem solved. (Windows 10 you can't turn it off)
You can also do as I do, and network-block anything with 'microsoft' in its URL (also needed for various other domains they use).
Can be done a home network pretty easily _if_ your router supports url/keyword blocking. (same would be true of a mobile hotspot).
Some routers have a bug that causes blocking to fail if its a SSL connection...which is why I plan on looking more into something better like pfSense firewall or pi-hole.
The MiFi, was my only internet connection for the last four years, until fiberoptic data became available here, and I installed it last spring. So it's not new, just repurposed.

I also do have a suggestion on tablets:
A smaller tablet with 7" or 8" screen is nice for portability, but a larger one with say, a 10" screen sure is nice for seeing things. I personally would go for the larger one...unless you plan on carrying it around with you allot.
My tablet has a 10" diagonal [7 3/4" × 5 3/4" actual] screen.
To mount it, I took a Urban Armor Gear Exoskeleton for Samsung tablets, and mounted the socket from a CD slot smartphone mount, to the back of its frame. This is what I will mostly use as a mount for it. I also added a Steelie magnetic socket to it.
The phone goes into a low profile vent mount, that I picked up at a Dollar General.
The Garmin uses the suction cup windshield mount that came with it.

How are boosters installed, and any recommendations?
The newest wilson/weboost has a vent clip. My old model rides in a suction cup mout with the booster zip tied to it.

You need to run power to the booster as well as an antenna cable. Antenna mag mounts to the roof.

Attachments

• 20190905_131015.jpg
    20190905_131015.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 0
Ken Perrin said:
I took a Urban Armor Gear Exoskeleton for Samsung tablets, and mounted the socket from a CD slot smartphone mount, to the back of its frame. This is what I will mostly use as a mount for it. I also added a Steelie magnetic socket to it.
The phone goes into a low profile vent mount, that I picked up at a Dollar General.
The Garmin uses the suction cup windshield mount that came with it.
Would there be anything wrong with just leaving your phone & tablet on the passanger seat beside you? (that's where I leave phone/camera/etc if I bring them when going somewhere - its not like I'm going to even be looking at or touching them while the car is in motion)
Bringing a dedicated GPS unit along is actually a good Idea if you have one. I do have a Garmin that for the most part just sits at home (no need for it when I'm just driving around my local area). Thinking about it, I'd deff be bringing that me if I went chasing.

Marc R. O'Leary said:
Eastern CO is reasonable with a booster but there are spots, I'm looking at you Last Chance, where it's deadsville.
Without a booster you're chasing by visuals alone for the most part.
'Last Chance' could be called 'No Chance' for service then .lol.
So its probably similar to being in parts of the mountains then.

Marc R. O'Leary said:
You need to run power to the booster as well as an antenna cable. Antenna mag mounts to the roof.
Do you just run the antenna cable out through the door then?

------
Do most of you guys end up adding a 2nd lighter/outlet for powering devices?
At this point I just have one with a 3-way splitter (used for 2 dashcams & a spare outlet)

Would there be anything wrong with just leaving your phone & tablet on the passanger seat beside you? (that's where I leave phone/camera/etc if I bring them when going somewhere - its not like I'm going to even be looking at or touching them while the car is in motion)
I currently own an F-350, with a fold down center seat, when it's folded down it is too wide to reach across to pick-up or set down things on the passenger seat without unbuckling my seatbelt. With it flipped up I would worry about everything falling on my feet while I'm driving. So the mounts are pretty much a way of keeping them handy, organized, secure, and out of the way [especially cords].
Do most of you guys end up adding a 2nd lighter/outlet for powering devices?
At this point I just have one with a 3-way splitter (used for 2 dashcams & a spare outlet)
I'm pretty lucky, not only do I have two outlets on my dashboard, but I also have one in a compartment under that center seat/console with a slot that a power cord can fit through. However, I have to unplug them all when I shut the truck off as they remain 'live' with the key turned off.
I moved here fairly recently, so I've been taking the time to drive and learn my local grid. As good as the Garmin is, it does not show where low water crossings are, shows roads that aren't there, and at least one bridge that has been dismantled, as a through road.

Back