Miniature PC and their potential use in storm chasing.

adlyons

EF2
Technology is in a constant state of change. Every year, I see new gadgets being used in the field. But at the same time, I see some of the old reliable work horses still chugging away. The old methods have their problems, but work well enough that we keep them around. I'm a huge tech nerd and one of my passions is finding new obscure technology and figuring out ways in which these devices can be used for storm chasing. Recently I learned the hard way that lugging around big powerful laptops along with all my other gear on chases can be messy. I dropped and broke my machine while getting out of the car. Frustrated, I figured there had to be a better solution than the old bulky laptop mounts and big laptops of 2010. One of my recent discoveries is the existence of HDMI stick PCs. http://liliputing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/t21_01.jpg. These marvels of modern computer engineering are in essence, miniature computers the size of a flash drive built with mobile phone processors and SOCs. (Systems on a chip). They plug into the HDMI port of a monitor and turn it into a device capable of using the Android operating system. If your monitor happens to be a touch screen, even better. You now have a fully functional android tablet for cheap. Combine that with apps such as Pykle3 radar or Radar Scope and you have a perfect solution for a vehicle mounted PC. They are cheap, powerful and dont require the juice that conventional laptops need. Stowe it under your dash and your car is good to go for chases in a matter of seconds. If you dont like any of the android solutions, or are wanting something more powerful the technology is in it's infancy and companies are already starting to come up with better designs.

Recently, there has even been talk by Intel of releasing ARM X64 based processors capable of running Windows. The Baytrail CPUs power many of the Windows tablets and phones and are capable of running FULL Windows 8.1. Thats right 100% Windows the exact same Windows that runs on your desktop or laptop at home. The first such item I know about was released at the end of 2014. The Mee go Pad T01 http://maketheone.com/product/meegopad-t01/. This device sports a quad core Intel Atom Z3735F SOC. This includes quad cores clocked at 1.33ghz with over clock burst to 1.83 ghz, 2GB of DDR3 1333 mhz RAM, built in Gen 7 Intel HD graphics, 32Gbs of storage, built in WiFi 802.11, Bluetooth, two USB 3.0, SD slots for expansion up to 64gbs, and native touchscreen support with Windows 8.1. The best part, the systems is available for $130. For about half of even the lowest end descent tablet, you can build your own car pc fully capable of running desktop apps such as GR level 3, Streets and trips, and spotter network. I believe these devices could be a great cheap, and powerful dedicated cap pc. With the proper mounting, you may never have to take your laptop along again.

In the spirit of innovation and being bored in the off season, Ive decided to kill my laptop and replace it with one of these systems by mounting it in my jeep. Ill be detailing the build in future updates probably here on storm track. I will list the parts I used, problems Ive run into and my general thoughts on the system so that If you are feeling adventurous you can make your own. I would love to hear any feedback or additional Ideas on the topics Ive discussed.

Very cool...will be curious to see how it turns out for you as I'm a fan of using unconventional technology in support of chasing. Over the years I've run a tower computer + CRT, a docked laptop + external monitor, a microATX PC + touch screen, and now just a standard laptop with a high-res screen. Over time things pushed me into using just a standard laptop on a RAM mount:

*External monitors just don't have the DPI that a laptop screen has and the more I can fit on the display the better. Sure you can get a bigger monitor or run multiple monitors, but I chase in a compact car and don't have the space.
*I need to be able to edit and render H.264 video in the field. I don't want to split my upgrade $$ between two computers so my laptop will always be more powerful than the dedicated on-board computer.
*Laptops have built-in batteries and keep running through inverter brownouts

That said I have seen the value of a dedicated machine doing a dedicated task in addition to my laptop. Prior to widespread high speed cellular data I used to run a hacked router running OpenWRT that would automatically connect to the strongest available public wifi network. And I run two Arduinos for engine health monitoring, aux battery charging, inverter power and roofcam control.

The device sounds interesting. The main reasons I haven't gone the route of an in-car PC are because 1.) I don't have enough licenses to the software I use for 3 machines (home desktop, laptop and car PC); and 2.) I need to remove my laptop from my car frequently to work on images/video at hotels and restaurants (and sometimes at home while my other computer is busy rendering). Having a permanent car computer means I'd have to essentially dedicate it to running GPS, ThreatNet and a web browser only, I'd still need the laptop for editing photos and videos. Basically I'd be running 2 computers in the car, as offloading photos/videos is a multiple-times-daily task. If I didn't do any heavy-duty photo and video editing while on the road, the idea would sound more enticing.

Glad to see someone else with as much love for tech! You brought up a really good point with video. Currently this system just isnt capable of editing video like the big boys. I think given a few years Integrated GPUs will be more capable but obviously the RAM and tiny form factor will really limit the video editing capabilities of such systems. Battery backup is something Ive thought about having an extra battery in the back wired up but again like you said laptops have batteries already why fuss with that? Some really great points thanks for the reply.

Thats the real draw for me, I dont have to do anything with my video. I usually just offload it when I get home and I dont sell it or anything like that. Great points, the video editing option is something I never even considered.

I tested an Asus Transformer T100 with Windows 8.1 on a couple of backyard chases last year. I had some issues getting my GPS and GPSgate to work on it, but I was able to get it fixed reading some how-tos online. It's not powerful enough for photo or video editing, but I don't really do very much of that anyway until I get home. It was strong enough to run GR2AE, Streets & Trips, Spotter Network, and Chrome all at the same time.

Chris, you wouldn't by any chance have the links to the how-tos would you? I'm struggling with the same issues and getting nowhere atm..:(

I'm sorry. I can't remember for sure where I found it since it's been almost a year ago. I want to say there was something on the Fransom GPSgate website. There may have been a FAQ or it may have been in their forums.

It's tough to beat the Windows Pro 8.1 tablets these days for storm chasing. I have a Samsung ATIV 700t. 10.1 inch display, touch screen, 1080P, etc. Fast enough to edit photos with photoshop, do basic video editting, etc. I have Gr Level 3, mapping software etc all running on it using a gps puck. Very easy to mount or just set aside when not using. I picked it up for $400 on sale last year. It is possible to pick up the MS Surface Pro 1st gen machines for around the price fairly easily.

Back