Upgrading my photography gear . . . and how you did - too?

Questions:

Do most of you prefer to use a ball head or a fluid head - since video seems to be the predominate method of media?

Do most of you use one camera or two - one dedicated for video and the other stills?
Or?

Are you using tripods or window mounts?
Or handheld or with gimbal?

Do most prefer Manfrotto; or another brand?
And why if other than Manfrotto?

In addition, have just ordered Viltrox's most recent version of the 'Speed Booster' EF-R3 for the Canon RP, in order to try to make up for the extra stop of light and to restore 4K from being not as cropped. Will compare it to the Sony A7III viddy performance in low light. Seeing how well it may/may not catch up to the Sony - might be interesting either way.
Will review it after I get it and post my findings here; about a week or so - from now.

Last edited:
Good advice Warren.
Yes; a tripod, remote shutter switch, and window mount will be included in the kit too.

Do you use the SKYWARN net on 2m/70cm too - to talk to the locals?
And using the book that has all of those repeaters I'll bet.
Cell phone conditions aren't always working in an emergency situation - are they?

I imagine that TX meso/tornado pic on your web site main page must of had a high ISO, since it looks to me that you were right under the middle of the bears cage when you snapped that one . . . nice pic.
The RP and the 6D handles ISOs well into 20,000 without too much damage. I do have a 24mm and a 50mm f/1.4 that I might need to bring and use as well, since the f/2.8 lenses can only be expected to do so much.

I see some of the better twister shots are usually from the SW of a NE heading storm. At least in that situation, some sunlight can make a better exposure to get that ISO lower - if at all possible to position oneself in time. But that doesn't always present itself to our liking - does it?

Also, recovering underexposed shots in Lightroom will be the REAL test of a camera's sensor.

I sill use 2m/70cm on occasion, but not like in the old days. There are still locations that use ham radio, including the Amarillo area (I believe). Most of the time, I'll call in a report directly. Have not had cell phone problems recently, except in some disaster areas, in remote areas. Rumor has it that the iPhone 14 will have an emergency sat. link. We will see.

The meso / tornado picture was with a wide angle lens. I believe it was Fuji 50 film at 50 ISO. I took 20-30 images to make sure one was sharp. There was golf-ball-sized hail hitting me (streaks in some images) and the wind gusted, slamming my leg between the frame and the door, so I was in sickening pain and it was hard to keep the camera steady. I was not too worried about being in front of this storm as it was almost stationary and was a high visibility LP with an excellent south escape route, the one I used to take the closer "Twister" image. I'm very lucky I did not get hit by softballs. The secret is to take a lot of images if it's an insane image to make sure some are sharp. A mono-pod is helpful. I'll manually push the ISO if needed, but I grew up with film and I despise gain. (Now called noise). Depending on your camera, be aware of auto focus limitations in low light.

Wow; and thank you, Ethan.
Did not know that. <shocked> In all the research I did for this camera, had seen nothing about this issue. But after looking into this issue now, the A7RII has also shown a defect in the shutter with some. Not to the same numbers/extent as the A7III - though. A couple of other Sony cameras also seemed to be mildly affected as well.

That law suit creates a legal precedent that others may cite in court against Sony. It would be wise - and in Sony's own best interests - for them to recall rather than to pay out scores of attorney's fees and other losses incurred by customers who used this camera in a professional setting (i.e. 'camera died in the middle of a wedding shoot'). The remedy should include an upgraded part not prone to failure before its expected and stated life cycle.

Looking back, I can see now why there were so many of these cameras available in the marketplace. People dumping these cameras does not relieve Sony of their own product liability/obligation to perform as when first purchased. But may be contended. 200,000 shutters is in their own scripts as evidence. Attorneys will rise, briefcases will be opened, and courtrooms will get heated. If Sony doesn't recall; will it be a major blow to their reputation?
To their photographer customers - it will be.

Does turning off the e-shutter in the menu change the outcome?
Or compromise greatly its effective and stated use?
Product attorneys seeking damages will unequivocally say 'Yes'.

Hope this camera can hang together long enough until a recall is made.
Concern for dust getting into the shutter track is a new priority to be observed.
Otherwise, a decent camera.

Just bought this one and checked the shutter count; it is at #616 using a free program called 'A7Info'. Had to update the camera firmware from 1.3.1 to 1.4.1. The Zeiss lens was also checked and is already up to snuff. Thanks for letting me know that you carry the 100-400mm and the 24-70mm. 70-200mm too? Sound advice, and will do the same. I will also be using the Canon RP for backup. Thanks!

Sorry I just now saw this. I have an A7RIII and I'm at around 40,000 shutter clicks and so far no issues with mechanical shutter becoming stuck. I believe it was fixed on the newer models. If you use electronic shutter all the time, then hypothetically it shouldn't be an issue. However with most sony cameras, when you turn the device off, it will sometimes do a shutter accusation on some models to close the shutter (A1 and A9 II) and other models it is just the cleaning mode. I believe this can be turned off in the menu. I had an A7III for about a year and had no issues, but I got mine before the lawsuit came out. I just figured it would be worth mentioning that they are indeed having issues. Although I have not heard of many as of late. Hopefully they fixed the issue with the new A7 IV that just was released.

I do suppose this is an issue that is *possible* with any camera, even DSLR, but it seems most common on the A7III and A7RII as you stated. And I do believe Sony is offering to replace the shutters of those models free of charge for their customers as part of the lawsuit...or in the case if the model is damaged beyond repair, I've seen some people get a replacement model in the mail in return, usually a refurb, but still better than a broken camera!

Back