Good DSLR, or Mirrorless?

Get some sort of a personal articles policy on all of your camera/computer gear with a $0 deductible. I'm paying around $200/year and have all of my equipment covered. I dropped my camera twice this summer, smashing a lens each time and causing $550 worth of damage on my camera the second time. Easily has paid for itself (I've had a policy since 2008) and is good peace of mind knowing that if someone walks off with my camera gear the only thing I am out is what was on the SD card.

Ask your homeowners/renters carrier if they can do an "inland marine" policy, this is what I've had for the past 10 or so years. It costs me around 20 bucks a month. The business use thing is important, many homeowners and renters policies won't cover a claim if they find out you are doing anything like selling photos or videos at all, regardless of amount of sales. Some chasers have horror stories of being robbed and having no coverage, in one case because the underwriter found out they were selling DVDs on their web site and thus considered the cameras to be commercial use!

Regarding the original thread topic, I've personally reached the point of burnout on resolution upgrades. The A7 series is tempting (I like the A7s for video), but I always quickly squash those thoughts when I look at how few prints I sell and the extreme unlikelihood I'll ever need to license a still at mega-resolutions. Add to that the fact that stitching technology is so good these days that you can shoot huge-resolution images with multiple frames, and I never see the point of spending huge money on stills gear myself just to get more megapixels. I suppose it might make sense if you're already a successful photographer doing tons of business, but for most of us, I feel it's a waste.

Back