• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Budget Video Camera For the 2023 Storm Chasing Season

Dave Smith

Enthusiast
I am a new storm chaser that is looking for a main video camera for the 2023 storm chasing season. I have been using my phone but I rather just use my phone for radar only.

My budget is around $200-$500 but would be willing to go up to $600 if there was a good deal on a camera.

It would be ideal to have a camcorder but if there is a DSLR or mirrorless camera that is good at video in my price range I would buy it. I will probably buy used from EBAY.

I don't really need 4K video because I don't have a 4K TV or a 4K laptop.

Some of the cameras that I have looked at are:
Canon M50~around $400 with kit lens
Canon Rebel SL2~around $400
Mirrorless Panasonic Cameras~around $500 with kit lens
Canon Vixia Series Camcorder~$200-$400
Sony Mirrorless Cameras~$400-$600 with kit lens

I would also like to know if there are any cheap lenses that I should get for video if I do get one of these interchangeable lens cameras.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions!

I was really hopeing to see some black-friday sales on camcorders... but there's basically nothing (only one I even saw was a supposedly 4k Vivitar for $99 at Best Buy... and I'll never buy anything from that crap camera brand again).
All the normal stores suck this year simply because none of them put ads in the newspaper! (and trying to look through their websites(assuming the site even works) is a pain)

Like you I have no need for 4k (one of my TV's is 4k, but the PC I use for editing video won't go beyond 1080p (not sure the software I use, or processing could be done in a reasonable time anyway, even if the PC could output 4k))

I've looked briefly at various Canon Vixia-series camcorders online (would be looking in the same price range as you), It'd certainly be a brand I'd consider if they have the spec's I need. I'd really need to do some digging on that!
There's very little camcorder selections (especially after adding my price range) in the normal stores (WalMart/Target/BestBuy) & I'd really prefer to buy at a store. (plan to check Micro Center if I make a trip there to pick up some SD cards & maybe a Raspberry Pi - if they have anything in stock!)

@Dave Smith:
I've been around to the various stores in my area to look at camcorders, the results are disappointing... there's a total lack of "selection" out there. :( some stores had nothing, one had only cheap junk, one had cheap junk & higher-end (over $1000) models, but nothing inbetwen. I did note multiple empty spots on display shelves, so my guess is cameras are atleast in part affected by supply-chain issues.

I was looking on eBay at for Canon Vixia (don't even remember what model)
And in those random "related" items it gives there were 2 that caught my eye: Canon Vixia HF W10 (& W11) ... I don't know if they have the features I want (that'll take some research), but there was one that intrigued me: they're waterproof! - that would be a good thing to me since I wouldn't have to worry about the camera getting rained(or snowed) on then.

I purchased a Sony HDRCX405 HD handy cam in February 2021. It was relatively cheap ($228 on Amazon). Shoots 1080p, has a 30x optical zoom and is super light. I don't have a 4K TV either and only edit to 1080p anyway. It's done everything I need it to do. I bought a couple of extra batteries for it and you'll need a microSD card.

I purchased a Sony HDRCX405 HD handy cam in February 2021. It was relatively cheap ($228 on Amazon). Shoots 1080p, has a 30x optical zoom and is super light. I don't have a 4K TV either and only edit to 1080p anyway. It's done everything I need it to do. I bought a couple of extra batteries for it and you'll need a microSD card.

I have looked at that camcorder but I was wondering how well it does in low light.

I have been using my Nikon DSLR camera for the last couple of years and been loving it. However, I have came to realize that I would like to begin using some sort of camcorder where I can set and forget it type of deal. I also noticed that I may not always be in a situation where I unable to set my Nikon up appropriately. Any suggestions on for camcorders or even Go Pros?

I have been using my Nikon DSLR camera for the last couple of years and been loving it. However, I have came to realize that I would like to begin using some sort of camcorder where I can set and forget it type of deal. I also noticed that I may not always be in a situation where I unable to set my Nikon up appropriately. Any suggestions on for camcorders or even Go Pros?

Do you mean set it up and leave it as a remote or stay with it? The problem with a GoPro is the limited zoom option. In many storm situations, you will need a good zoom to frame the shot. Go Pro cams are great if you want a wider view or if you are very close to the subject.

To stay with it and I can use my DSLR camera to take stills. There have been times where I have missed an awesome shot of a lightning bolt or of some neat structure because I am manually adjusting my DSLR. If you have any recommendations when it comes to camcorders I am all ears also as I am not as familiar with those.

Not sure if you have considered it, but an Insta 360 X3 camera is right in that price range. I have one that I suction mount to my vehicle roof and absolutely love it!

It's fantastic for chasing because you can basically set it and forget it, and then reframe the shot later. No need to constantly worry if tornado is in frame, because everything is in frame. The mount I use also has a watertight USB port seal that allows me to charge it while recording in heavy rain and never have to change batteries.

It also has a pretty sweet phone app that you use to both remote control the camera and do quick video editing. I like to use the preview mode to be able to easily get a live 360 view from around the vehicle instead of having to constantly rubberneck and look over my shoulder. I basically set it to 8k timelapse from the moment that real chase-mode begins, and switch to 5.7k video for the intense parts with cool ambiance or a tornado on the ground.

The main con is that the zoom is obviously limited and it can struggle to pic up distant tornadoes or dusty birdfarts. But the pro is that it will capture them far more often than if you had to stop, setup a tripod, and capture only when there is no heavy wind, rain, and hail. It's just a reliable tank of a camera and the workhorse for capturing not just the tornado, but the whole environment.

I also picked up a used Canon 5D mk3 on Ebay for ~$350 a few weeks back, so could consider that as an affordable quality DSLR option as well. I usually use that just for stills though, but know it's got decent video quality.

My setup is basically to use my phone (S22 Ultra) for zoomed video, 5D for stills, and the Insta for timelapse and ambience/environmental capture. This system has done me quite well this year and feel it's the best way to capture everything while not getting bogged down in heavy equipment. At the heart of it though is the 360 camera and I highly recommend you looking into that as a great all-around option in that price range.

Thank you for the information and I will look into it. I definitely want to keep everything simple and easy for myself since chasing can get busy very quickly.

Back