Laptops VS Tablets and The Samsung Galaxy Tab A

What apps do you use on the Gen 1 iPad? I have a couple that I have no other real use for since most programs now require Gen 2 or later.

Still run last gen Radarscope. Maps. Couple other simple radar programs that I can't think of offhand. Used to use lightningfinder, but that quit working and can't get it to re-up the subscription, prob because this iPad can't run on newer OS. It's probably on its last legs, but I'll run it til I can't anymore, then off to the shooting range with it.

Oh and netflix still works on it, for those clear sky waiting sessions.

And during the off-season, it's my alarm clock...because sweet sweet adjustable snooze.

I used a bulky laptop for the longest and just got tired of lugging it around and having to deal with such a large piece of equipment. I then switched over to a 10" android tablet and used it for several years. I now use a 10" Microsoft Surface Pro tablet and haven't looked back.

I posted this in my dash thread last year, but it applies. Last year was my first year chasing with multiple data resources. I use all three, but phone much less due to small size. Phone is my hotspot. Smaller tab runs maps and web typically as well as radarscope (lightning tracking), larger iPad runs radar and maps, but its a gen 1, so fairly limited in anything else. Previously I chased with iPad and a less capable phone, however I managed. Having three devices really boosted the ability to get quick info on the fly without having to worry about switching, even though switching on an iPad is super easy, just never know when the tablet will decide to restart an app for you.

IPAD mounted on a 22" Arkon seat bolt arm and gPad mounted to a custom bracket mounted to said Arkon. Everything is easily withing reach, although the tablets could be close, but as you can see, need room to be able to shift.

I've added a HAM radio this season (will take operator test when I get time) and always have a battery powered weather radio as well. Also CB, although it's proven mostly useless aside from weather bands and getting a random chuckle when catching "colorful" trucker conversations.

That being said, I have no experience with laptop chasing but I can definitely see the potential benefits.

Hey Marc - Do you mind giving me some info on that camera mount you have? I'm running a very similar setup to your's (also in an FXT) and want to mount my 80D to the dash but have been having issues figuring out the best way due to the steep slope of my windshield...

As far as the tablets go - I was on the fence about laptop vs tablet for a while. I opted for a Samsung Slate running Windows 7 on an Arkon flex mount so I could connect my gps puck and use GR3. Found a deal on that off CL and its pretty capable for being a few years old - Core-i5, 4 gig ram, SSD, etc. I tether that tab to my phone and have a work issued iPad 4 w/ data plan to run maps and radarscope. Overall the setup has been working well and I see no need for a traditional laptop at this point. Once I figure out which signal booster to get and mount my camera I'll be set for the rest of the season.

I do like the idea of something more compact, and when my laptop finally dies, I might look at a Surface Pro or something similar as a potential solution.
Nick Nolte has used his longer than I have, Dan, but I believe you'll like it it. No complaints here except for two items - GPS isn't one (I'm wireless now using what Nick prescribes on his blog). One is I don't care for the newest MS OS update for the touch screen keyboard and the second is the lack of SC card port. Kind of tough to edit video off your handycam when there's no place to plug in your card. I guess an external reader plugged into the USB 3.0 would be OK. LOL I just end up leaving my laptop in its computer bag and pull it out to edit/upload to Kendra's FTP site.

Hey Marc - Do you mind giving me some info on that camera mount you have? I'm running a very similar setup to your's (also in an FXT) and want to mount my 80D to the dash but have been having issues figuring out the best way due to the steep slope of my windshield...

As far as the tablets go - I was on the fence about laptop vs tablet for a while. I opted for a Samsung Slate running Windows 7 on an Arkon flex mount so I could connect my gps puck and use GR3. Found a deal on that off CL and its pretty capable for being a few years old - Core-i5, 4 gig ram, SSD, etc. I tether that tab to my phone and have a work issued iPad 4 w/ data plan to run maps and radarscope. Overall the setup has been working well and I see no need for a traditional laptop at this point. Once I figure out which signal booster to get and mount my camera I'll be set for the rest of the season.

Hey @Sean Bargmann ...it's a custom mount I made from random parts. I'll have to see what the actual arm is, what brand, but it was a suction mount at one point that never really worked well.

I went to a junkyard and bought a second hand dash cubby cover and mounted the arm and cell bracket using tek screws. Original cover stored away.

I'll snap some better pics when I get a chance. It needs modification tho, as a heavy dslr tends to push the arm down. It works well with the go-pro.

Back