• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Storm Chasing Vehicle Project and Suggestions!

My original post was extremely understood, so I have re-written everything to hopefully clear things up. I also made a few childish statements and I want to apologize. I came to this forum seeing advice from more experienced chasers, and I was belittled and looked down upon by some members. They weren't comments just about the truck or ideas; some of them were personal shots.

First off, I want to make it clear that I am not trying to show off, or brag about our vehicle. I am posting this thread for everyone to get to know more about the vehicle, and to get your advice and opinions from more experienced chasers what I can to do make my chasing experience better. I am an AMATEUR, with little experience, and I realize that, so please don't talk down on me. Constructive criticism is welcome.

A little introduction about myself. My name is Travis Cruz. I'm 24 years old, and currently a Meteorology Undergrad at Virginia Tech. I have started my own business, StormCruzzer LLC, which I hope to grow in the fields of storm research, private forecasting, and student outreach. Along with the company, I've also been trying to design a top of the line storm chasing vehicle. Unlike the TIV and Dominators, who were designed to withstand being in a tornado, I've designed the truck to be able withstand the stronger winds than most smaller vehicles, and withstand any small debris and hail that I may encounter. In designing the vehicle, I have made safety the number one concern. This includes durability and reliability, agility, and high off road capability. I chose this over fuel economy, because safety is much more valuable than money.

In the original post, I made a statement about having the ABILITY to drive down muddy roads at 70 miles an hour. This was also misinterpreted as reckless, so I wanted to clarify that. I do not plan on driving 70mph down a muddy road, and I never hope I have to. But with safety as my number one concern, I would like to have the ability to do so, if absolutely necessary. This doesn't mean that I'll be flying over hills and around blind turns, like some have assumed. I am just as concerned about other chasers safety as I am my own. Maybe one day you'll be stuck in mud on the side of the road somewhere with a twister barreling down on you, and be glad to see me coming to help bail you out. So please, before you judge, think about it from every angle.

I understand that the truck has it's limits; I'm not naive. But the main point that I'm trying to get across, is why would I want to be in a smaller car when I have the option to be in a larger, safer, more capable one? I have no problem with chasers who chase in smaller cars. I just choose to take the extra precautions to take my crew and I safe, especially when it could be the difference in life and death.

A few of the questions that I get often are:

Why did we choose such a large, heavy vehicle, instead of a smaller fuel efficient vehicle like most other chasers?
- For one, our chasing isn't limited to super cells and tornadoes. We are interested in all extreme weather, including blizzards and hurricanes, and anything else nature decides to throw our way. Without breaking the bank on an H1 Hummer Alpha edition, we have chosen the best vehicle for the circumstances that we will face. With the extra wide dually stance, and 9000lb+ weight of the vehicle, we are still more stable than most smaller cars.
- Our goals are much different than most other chasers. We've built the truck to not only chase storms, but to be able to get up close and personal with them, WHEN SAFE. I want to emphasis this, because in my original post, it was overlooked, and I was taken as reckless. This includes encountering potentially large hail stones and other small debris.
- Lastly, we want to make helping people a part of our storm chasing mission. Whether it be pulling out stuck vehicles, moving debris, or whatever else we may need to do, we have built the truck to handle it.

Doesn't having such a heavy, bulky vehicle make you less agile in the chase environment, and make it harder to get out of the way of a tornado?
- Not at all! The 6.6L Duramax engine (with a few modifications) puts out around 440HP, and 850ft/lbs of torque, meaning we are still a good deal faster than most SUV's, and will have an easier time fighting through strong winds. I also drive it as a daily driver and park on campus, so I'm well aware of it's dimensions.

Why in the world would you lift your truck when you're planning on being in high winds?
- Although adding a lift kit does slightly raise the center of gravity, the stock Silverado 3500 sits much lower than its HD truck competitors, and when lifted, is the same overall height as them. Believe it or not, the truck isn't that much taller than a lot of SUVs.
- With the lift, our vehicle is now more capable than any stock SUV, crossover, or car, allowing us to get places where most others cannot. We found out just how capable the truck was this past summer in the deserts of New Mexico. Not only do we have the ability to get closer to the storms via dirt and mud roads, but we also have the option to use them to escape if needed, which may end up saving our lives some day.

Current modifications to the truck include:

- 4-6" Cognito Motorsports Lift Kit
- 35x12.5x17 Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's
- Rhino Lining Paint Job
- A.R.E. Z-Series camper shell
- Magnaflow Exhaust System
- Longhorn Fab Shop Traction bars and Tie Rod sleeves
- Kenwood Nav System and HAM Radio
- Cobra CB Radio
- Ram Laptop Mount
- EFI Live Tune, by Idaho Rob (Economy and Power tunes provided)
- Lime Green Interior LEDs

Future modifications include:

- Heavy Duty Front and Rear Bumpers with winches
- Off-Road LED lights
- Panasonic Toughbook 30
- Cold Air Intake
- Fuel pump
- Winch
- On Board Air

I'll post a few pictures of the truck through the building process.

Bone Stock
Stock.jpg

Rhino Lined with an ARE Z-Series Camper Shell
10265502_767472823277692_8104385412472804781_o.jpg

Tires
IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Heavy Duty Lift
IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg

Tail Light Guards
IMG_2523.jpg

Hail Guard Material
IMG_2527.jpg

CB, HAM, and Wireless Internet Antennae
IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

HAM and CB Radio, Kenwood Nav, and RAM Laptop Mount
IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

And a few of our storm pictures and environments we've chased in!
IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

Denver storm of this past year
IMG_2910-1.jpg

IMG_2909-1.jpg

Student Outreach
StormCruzzer3.jpg

And the most recent picture of the truck! Will upload a new one once I get the Hail Guards finished and mounted.
Post-Chase.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions or concerns on equipment or anything else, please feel free to share!

Last edited by a moderator:
Man if I had that truck, I wouldn't have been 5 miles from that Denver storm. I would've been right up it's ass in that updraft to see that dumb tornado that did get reported.

Thanks for sharing. That's quite the truck. For the record, I have no problem with folks who are passionate about building intercept vehicles. If that's where your interest is, go for it and don't let anyone hold you back!

be able to get out of any situation without a problem, whether it be fleeing down a bumpy muddy road at 70mph+, or holding up against debris similar to what Brandon Sullivan had to deal with in the El Reno tornado.

I am going to take some issue with this statement though.

My main concern is, why are you there in the first place? Why are you putting yourself into situations that necessitate having to travel down mud at 70 mph and drive into large debris rolling across the road?

Chasers who find themselves in these situations have made critical errors. I don't think the solution to these errors is a larger, armored, or more powerful vehicle. I think the solution is better planning, better care and caution around and under supercells, and education of chasing and weather hazards.

I'm a little concerned that Sullivan's video is being used as an example of how to chase or how chase vehicles should be designed. Instead it's a great example of where not to be on a storm and how not to escape from a tornado. Many chasers made critical mistakes on the El Reno storm. They placed themselves in dangerous positions and then picked poor and unsafe escape routes. There are no doubt situations where having a more powerful vehicle or some armor might have prevented an incident, but why wouldn't you instead just take the necessary to steps to ensure you're not making the mistakes that put you in that situation in the first place? I don't think an armored truck is a sure bet. I've seen heavy trucks that are unrecognizable balls of steel. Careful planning and maintenance of safe positioning and escape routes might get you pretty close to that sure bet though.

I pray to any God that cares to listen that you don't crest over a muddy hill at 70 mph and t-bone me. As much as I don't care if you kill me, I just fear of a slow painful death. A 9,000 pound truck doesn't mean dick on a muddy road. All it means is you'll sink harder in that mud. And that low ground clearance is going to be hilarious when you try to do a 20 point turn on some random road in Nebraska and high center on the crest of the ditch. You say that 9000+ pounds will keep you grounded? Well, I'm not sure if you ever saw the footage of the Lancaster, TX tornado from April 3, 2012. If you haven't, go take a gander at what an EF-2 tornado can do to some 15,000 pound 53' trailers. Also, go check out the footage of the Elie, MB EF-5 drillbit tornado that tossed a 3/4 ton truck a few hundred yards. Also, I'm sure you've heard of that little tornado that went through Moore, OK on May 20? Well, check out what it did to a 6,000 pound Chevy Silverado:

JmQLfiK.jpg

I think this new breed of chaser think that money and fancy equipment can save you from death and get you the shot of all shots. You threw out the words "research" and "saving lives". Yep, words I've heard from chasers years ago whom I don't even remember their names. There's so many other people in this forum that probably saw this post and just turned around in shame. Not many have the guts to speak out like I have, but I don't care. I don't get why people have to throw massive amounts of money when they start off, especially when they have NO CLUE how to even chase. I know several chasers that have $1000 jalopy-ass cars that take a beating but still get home safely. I don't know your name, Cruh-zer, but I hope we don't cross paths out in the field. Mostly because I'm going to be scared sh*tless to see you on the same road as me, and on the same storm.

Just be very cautious going down any bumpy, muddy road at 70mph. If you want to put yourself at needless risk then go ahead, but don't kill someone else while you are driving recklessly. One of my biggest fears while chasing is other people driving irresponsibly and causing an accident so I'm just somewhat leery of a few things that you wrote. The truck is cool and all so don't get my wrong on that, but you don't have to do stupid things just because you have a big truck. Just be safe and keep others in mind while you are out chasing.

Man if I had that truck, I wouldn't have been 5 miles from that Denver storm. I would've been right up it's ass in that updraft to see that dumb tornado that did get reported.

It was our first chase in the new truck, so I didn't want to take any risks whatsoever. We had no idea how it would handle in the mud out there, so we stayed well ahead of the rain. Now that I know how the truck handles in mud, that changes. As I get more experienced, I'll get closer, but I have no reason to put myself at risk

Thanks for sharing. That's quite the truck. For the record, I have no problem with folks who are passionate about building intercept vehicles. If that's where your interest is, go for it and don't let anyone hold you back!

I am going to take some issue with this statement though.

My main concern is, why are you there in the first place? Why are you putting yourself into situations that necessitate having to travel down mud at 70 mph and drive into large debris rolling across the road?

Chasers who find themselves in these situations have made critical errors. I don't think the solution to these errors is a larger, armored, or more powerful vehicle. I think the solution is better planning, better care and caution around and under supercells, and education of chasing and weather hazards.

I'm a little concerned that Sullivan's video is being used as an example of how to chase or how chase vehicles should be designed. Instead it's a great example of where not to be on a storm and how not to escape from a tornado. Many chasers made critical mistakes on the El Reno storm. They placed themselves in dangerous positions and then picked poor and unsafe escape routes. There are no doubt situations where having a more powerful vehicle or some armor might have prevented an incident, but why wouldn't you instead just take the necessary to steps to ensure you're not making the mistakes that put you in that situation in the first place? I don't think an armored truck is a sure bet. I've seen heavy trucks that are unrecognizable balls of steel. Careful planning and maintenance of safe positioning and escape routes might get you pretty close to that sure bet though.

I think I came off a good deal more reckless than I actually am. I'm no Reed Timmer. I don't ever want to be in Sullivan's situation, or TWC, or anyone else's that had damage to their vehicle. "There are no doubt situations where having a more powerful vehicle or some armor might have prevented an incident, but why wouldn't you instead just take the necessary to steps to ensure you're not making the mistakes that put you in that situation in the first place?" I want to put a huge emphasis on this. I'm going to do everything I can to avoid being in a situation like that, but I also want to take every precaution possible. Nobody goes out and tries to put themselves in those situation, but like you said, chasers make mistakes. I'm planning for the best, but preparing for the worst. As I get more experienced, I will take more calculated risks, but only to a certain extent. I will have the lives of my other crew members in my hands as well as my own, and will always have that in mind. One of the main reasons for the hail guards, as well, is for protection if I have to escape through the core.

I pray to any God that cares to listen that you don't crest over a muddy hill at 70 mph and t-bone me. As much as I don't care if you kill me, I just fear of a slow painful death. A 9,000 pound truck doesn't mean dick on a muddy road. All it means is you'll sink harder in that mud. And that low ground clearance is going to be hilarious when you try to do a 20 point turn on some random road in Nebraska and high center on the crest of the ditch. You say that 9000+ pounds will keep you grounded? Well, I'm not sure if you ever saw the footage of the Lancaster, TX tornado from April 3, 2012. If you haven't, go take a gander at what an EF-2 tornado can do to some 15,000 pound 53' trailers. Also, go check out the footage of the Elie, MB EF-5 drillbit tornado that tossed a 3/4 ton truck a few hundred yards. Also, I'm sure you've heard of that little tornado that went through Moore, OK on May 20? Well, check out what it did to a 6,000 pound Chevy Silverado:

JmQLfiK.jpg

I think this new breed of chaser think that money and fancy equipment can save you from death and get you the shot of all shots. You threw out the words "research" and "saving lives". Yep, words I've heard from chasers years ago whom I don't even remember their names. There's so many other people in this forum that probably saw this post and just turned around in shame. Not many have the guts to speak out like I have, but I don't care. I don't get why people have to throw massive amounts of money when they start off, especially when they have NO CLUE how to even chase. I know several chasers that have $1000 jalopy-ass cars that take a beating but still get home safely. I don't know your name, Cruh-zer, but I hope we don't cross paths out in the field. Mostly because I'm going to be scared sh*tless to see you on the same road as me, and on the same storm.

First of all, I take extreme offence to this. Nowhere in my post have I said that "A 9000lb vehicle means dick on a muddy road." I know how to drive in mud. I know that a heavy vehicle will sink. That's where momentum and experience come into play. And I'm glad you made the comment about the "20 point turn." My goal is to avoid those. Even so, I made that turn multiple times this past year, quickly and with ease. I drive the truck as a daily driver, driving and parking on campus, so I know the dimensions of the truck like the back of my hand, so it comes natural when I'm driving out in the field. The rear camera also helps with that. "You say that 9000+ pounds will keep you grounded?" No. I say that it will help keep me more stable in high winds than a 5000lb vehicle would. "I think this new breed of chaser think that money and fancy equipment can save you from death and get you the shot of all shots." No, I don't. I'm not a moron, and I'm not reckless. I've seen videos of 40,000lb trailors being tossed like rag dolls. "I don't get why people have to throw massive amounts of money when they start off, especially when they have NO CLUE how to even chase." I know how to chase. I've been passionate, and obsessed with storms and chasing since I was a kid. I've studied and researched about everything I can, to learn the safest way to go about it. Yeah, people can chase with a $1000 jalopy-ass car. But that's not how I chose to chase. No, I can't always use fancy equipment to save me from death. But I can use that fancy equipment to increase my chance of surviving. And that's what the truck is about. I chased with Virginia Tech's storm chasing group in 2013, and Led my own chase this past year. Safely. So you're saying that because other people in the past have talked about research and saving lives, and not followed through, I'm going to follow in their paths? Seems like it would be hard to judge a person when you don't even know them at all. I certainly hope that we don't cross paths out in the field as well, because I would be ashamed to meet such an ignorant asshole, in the same profession as I.

For others it may not be, but for me, I hope it some day will be. Whether you believe it or not, I'm extremely interested understanding why some storms drop tornadoes, and why others don't, and what we can do to get better at forecasting them. I'm not just out there for the thrill of it. So yes, I do take it as a profession, kiddo

Just be very cautious going down any bumpy, muddy road at 70mph. If you want to put yourself at needless risk then go ahead, but don't kill someone else while you are driving recklessly. One of my biggest fears while chasing is other people driving irresponsibly and causing an accident so I'm just somewhat leery of a few things that you wrote. The truck is cool and all so don't get my wrong on that, but you don't have to do stupid things just because you have a big truck. Just be safe and keep others in mind while you are out chasing.

Thank you actually showing some respect. I edited the beginning of my first post to explain a little more. I'm not reckless, at all. I built the vehicle to be able to drive 70 down a bumpy, muddy road at 70mph, but I have no plans on doing that, unless absolutely needed. I've also designed the truck to be able to help other chasers stranded and stuck in mud, out of gas, or any other situation that I can help in. I'm smart about it as well. Im not going to fly over any hills or around any blind turns. I'm passionate about chasing, and love seeing others who are as well. I hope that clears a few things up

Ugh, why must you disturb my slumber. No, we don't have the same profession. I'm merely a recreational chaser that does it so I don't strangle the necks of the idiotic society in forced to exist in. I'm actually a mechanic by trade. No, you don't know how to handle that beast on a muddy road with a powerful tornado breathing down your neck. No, you haven't chased with 500 other chasers on the same exact road as you trying to get the same vantage point. To me, that truck is pointless for chasing and more about standing out and showing your vehicle off to other young groups of chasers at the same has station as you. And let's clear one thing up Cruh-zer, I don't hate you as a person. I just hate your ideas that nothing bad is going to happen to you or your team. Its a trend that'll inevitably catch up with you. I have a feeling you'll end up hating storm chasing after about 5 years. But maybe I'm wrong. One thing I do know though, is the herd does tend to thin out within that last 1/2 mile. So maybe we shall meet there? :p

Ugh, why must you disturb my slumber. No, we don't have the same profession. I'm merely a recreational chaser that does it so I don't strangle the necks of the idiotic society in forced to exist in. I'm actually a mechanic by trade. No, you don't know how to handle that beast on a muddy road with a powerful tornado breathing down your neck. No, you haven't chased with 500 other chasers on the same exact road as you trying to get the same vantage point. To me, that truck is pointless for chasing and more about standing out and showing your vehicle off to other young groups of chasers at the same has station as you. And let's clear one thing up Cruh-zer, I don't hate you as a person. I just hate your ideas that nothing bad is going to happen to you or your team. Its a trend that'll inevitably catch up with you. I have a feeling you'll end up hating storm chasing after about 5 years. But maybe I'm wrong. One thing I do know though, is the herd does tend to thin out within that last 1/2 mile. So maybe we shall meet there? :p

"No, you don't know how to handle that beast on a muddy road with a powerful tornado breathing down your neck." No, maybe not with a tornado breathing down my neck, and I hope it never gets to that situation, but I do know how it handles in mud. On one of the slower days this past summer we took the truck out 80 miles in the New Mexico desert so I could get used to how it handles in the mud. And since then, I've done plenty around here in Virginia, in the truck in some much deeper mud, since then. Nothing that would harm the truck, but enough to get to know how it handles. I haven't experienced 500 other chasers trying on one road, but the Denver storm was up there, and so was the Torrington one a few days before that. We were in El Reno 2 hours before the tornado. We got the hell out of there because of the extreme chaser convergence, and we didn't want to get caught chasing in a more urban area. Again, we were safe about it. I don't know for sure that nothing bad will happen to our team, but I don't see any problem with making sure I have the best chance for survival, if something were to happen. I am an amateur. And I don't have much experience. But the only way to get experience, is to get out there and chase. I don't hate you as a person either, but I do take your first comment as immature, and a personal attack. Maybe next time you can try asking a few more questions before you judge me so harshly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfbQRXNO7kA

But I digress.. I didn't create this post to argue. I don't mind if anyone disagrees with the design of the vehicle, but there's no need for negativity.

Okay Marcus and Justin, the original post probably said some things it shouldn't have but, that doesn't give you the excuse to act like arrogant snobs for the rest of the thread. We're trying to bring in new people to participate on the forum, not drive them away. There is plenty of information on this site to help someone become a better chaser and better understand supercells and tornadogenesis.

To original poster (forgive me for calling you that, but didn't see your name), I hope you're not too discouraged by the responses here. You've obviously put a lot of time and money into your setup, and I can't see why you shouldn't be able to have fun with a vehicle build. Some chasers enjoy the process of outfitting a vehicle, it's kind of a sub-hobby of chasing itself. I love getting out and working on my car for the new season once that first warm spring weekend arrives. That said, I hope you can understand that this is one of many controversial topics in chasing, and the negative responses, while seemingly harsh, only serve to inject some reality into your expectations. I don't see anything wrong with your truck as long as you realize that any vehicle has its limitations and that nature (and the hazards of the road) can often get the upper hand on any of us. I hope you'll stick around and keep sharing ideas, I'll be interested to read how things turn out.

If you would have just asked someone, or at least done a little of your own research, you would have an idea as to why some storms produce tornadoes and some dont... But being a "professional", you should already know that aye?

I've done plenty of research. Yes, we can look back at storms, and see some didn't produce a tornado. But we cannot do that in real time. And I never said im a professional. I called it a profession. And if you could read, I said that I would like it to be my profession "some day."

To original poster (forgive me for calling you that, but didn't see your name), I hope you're not too discouraged by the responses here. You've obviously put a lot of time and money into your setup, and I can't see why you shouldn't be able to have fun with a vehicle build. Some chasers enjoy the process of outfitting a vehicle, it's kind of a sub-hobby of chasing itself. I love getting out and working on my car for the new season once that first warm spring weekend arrives. That said, I hope you can understand that this is one of many controversial topics in chasing, and the negative responses, while seemingly harsh, only serve to inject some reality into your expectations. I don't see anything wrong with your truck as long as you realize that any vehicle has its limitations and that nature (and the hazards of the road) can often get the upper hand on any of us. I hope you'll stick around and keep sharing ideas, I'll be interested to read how things turn out.

Thank you for the kind response. I realize that the truck has major limitations, but I'm still puzzled why anyone would talk it down to the extent they are. The goal of the truck is to be more safe and capable than a smaller vehicle.. Not for recklessness, but for overall safety. I'm not sure why anyone would argue against that.

I don't really understand the dog pile mentality here either at times Travis. This feels like Mike Tobin's thread from a few weeks ago all over again, only the players have changed. The mentality that if a person spends the time studying, preparing, practicing, and thinking through all the scenarios under which a person can get hurt while chasing seems to have taken on a life of its own since El Reno. I'm all for teaching newer members about safety in chasing, but the cold, hard facts are if it happened to Tim Samaras and his crew it can happen to anyone of us. I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy that throws stones at every new chaser that comes along, only to find myself rolled in a field ala Mike Bettes this coming chase season or anytime in the future.

It isn't the safety message I have a problem with, it's the delivery that needs work. I also hope this won't discourage you from pursuing your apparent passion for storm chasing.

I think the thing that irked me about all of this is you say you'll never get close enough to be put purposely in harm's way, yet built this thing in case you do. The only thing running through my head is how non-streamline that truck looks. So doesn't matter if you're pushing 500 bhp to the wheels if the wind is going to pull you back on a slick surface. You're driving a big sail boat in a ferocious sea of wind. So I hope you do, for the sake of your life and everyone inside, that you do indeed have a handle on that thing. Maybe I'm just envious too. Envious that you have $80k to throw at a chase vehicle when I'd put all that money in a chase fund and chase in my Fusion. It just all seemed unnecessary, especially since *knock on wood* I've never been in that position.

Mark - thanks for putting that voodoo on me this season. I'll make sure to wear my seatbelt.

I don't really care if I offend anybody anymore. I'm not looking to be the star of chasing so I'm just speaking my mind. My only goal is to go out and see tornadoes. It's the best hobby I can pursue for the person that I am. I have enough good people that I can chat to and not hurt anyone's feelings.

I think the thing that irked me about all of this is you say you'll never get close enough to be put purposely in harm's way, yet built this thing in case you do. The only thing running through my head is how non-streamline that truck looks. So doesn't matter if you're pushing 500 bhp to the wheels if the wind is going to pull you back on a slick surface. You're driving a big sail boat in a ferocious sea of wind. So I hope you do, for the sake of your life and everyone inside, that you do indeed have a handle on that thing. Maybe I'm just envious too. Envious that you have $80k to throw at a chase vehicle when I'd put all that money in a chase fund and chase in my Fusion. It just all seemed unnecessary, especially since *knock on wood* I've never been in that position.

Mark - thanks for putting that voodoo on me this season. I'll make sure to wear my seatbelt.

I don't really care if I offend anybody anymore. I'm not looking to be the star of chasing so I'm just speaking my mind. My only goal is to go out and see tornadoes. It's the best hobby I can pursue for the person that I am. I have enough good people that I can chat to and not hurt anyone's feelings.

I've put no where near $80,000 into the truck. Most of the modifications are sponsored, and even including full retail price, I would be no where near $ 80,000. I don't ever want to be in "that position," but if I find myself in it, I want to make damn sure I have a better chance to survive than in a smaller vehicle

I see so many vehicles out that are set up like this and everyone has their own twist on it, and it's fine. I never quite understood the Rhino lining thing because your changing the outward appearance to avoid hail dents which changes the outward appearance. Personally, I think of hail dents as small trophies:) The financially responsible side of me says you just spent a ton of money for maybe 20 days of use, and within those 20 days maybe there are 4 hours of chase time...so maybe $60k for 80 hours of use a year. This to withstand being in RFD or heavy rain in which you can't see anything at all. I'd be more for avoiding being in that position and saving my cash for other things, but that's just me.

I drive a Pathfinder so I can relate to driving the large vehicle, and it can be a PITA when you pull of on a dirt road and need to turn around quickly especially with a lot of other chasers on that same dirt road. And the muddy roads really don't care what kind of vehicle is on it, one slides and sticks just as well as the other. I have 4WD and try to stick to pavement as much as possible, but then again I'm not much for having my chases cut short by a bad move.

I think it's a cool setup though and glad you are enjoying it. If anything your truck will stand out and you'll get to talk to people about it along the way.

Back