Chase vehicle...what's yours for 2005?

4 laptops? All those people who can't yet afford one for chasing are gritting their teeth right now, lol.

4 laptops? All those people who can't yet afford one for chasing are gritting their teeth right now, lol.

There's a little 'cubby hole'/cutout on the left side of the driver dash. I have no idea what it's for but it fits the scanner perfectly. I basically 'jammed' it down into the hole. There's an unused 'button' just below it that I popped out and snaked the coax and power thru and down to the floor of the car.

The HT radio is in a cup holder stand.

The little box with a red light on it to the right of the driver is a toggle switch that I built from RatShack parts. Power from the battery runs to that box and then I distribute power from it to the other devices. Allows me to flip the gear on and off all at once.

The antenna coax is short enough that if the scanner did come loose in a crash the radio would only fly about 6 inches. I figure if I hit something hard enough to cause the coax connector to snap off the radio flying around between the airbag and the glass is going to be the least of my worries.

I actually hit a deer going 65mph (another story) and the radio never moved.

There's a little 'cubby hole'/cutout on the left side of the driver dash. I have no idea what it's for but it fits the scanner perfectly. I basically 'jammed' it down into the hole. There's an unused 'button' just below it that I popped out and snaked the coax and power thru and down to the floor of the car.

The HT radio is in a cup holder stand.

The little box with a red light on it to the right of the driver is a toggle switch that I built from RatShack parts. Power from the battery runs to that box and then I distribute power from it to the other devices. Allows me to flip the gear on and off all at once.

The antenna coax is short enough that if the scanner did come loose in a crash the radio would only fly about 6 inches. I figure if I hit something hard enough to cause the coax connector to snap off the radio flying around between the airbag and the glass is going to be the least of my worries.

I actually hit a deer going 65mph (another story) and the radio never moved.

:shock: You mean not everyone has 4 laptops? That is the winter setup.
Add 2 more for summer printer,scanner and the rear seat folds out into a king size bed. That is chaser heaven. :wink:

Add 2 more for summer printer,scanner and the rear seat folds out into a king size bed. That is chaser heaven. :wink:

Originally posted by Tom Burgess

Ok, I have to ask...what in the world do you use SIX laptops for? We have run two computers before (one built in desktop and one laptop) and are considering a 3rd for what would essentially be a mobile video studio, and even then we were pondering if that was a bit much. And we run lots of software simultaniously.

Originally posted by Tom Burgess

Ok, I have to ask...what in the world do you use SIX laptops for? We have run two computers before (one built in desktop and one laptop) and are considering a 3rd for what would essentially be a mobile video studio, and even then we were pondering if that was a bit much. And we run lots of software simultaniously.

Originally posted by Tyler Allison
Just my trusty Saturn ION. Nothing fancy...

When I was working at Saturn I always thought the IONS would make a good chase vehicle. I am a big guy and hate small cars in general, but that is the first small car I could scoot the seat ALL the way back and not be able to touch the pedals. Can't tell from the outside, but they have tons of room on the inside, and at over 30+ mpg on the hwy, you can't beat the mileage!

When I was working at Saturn I always thought the IONS would make a good chase vehicle. I am a big guy and hate small cars in general, but that is the first small car I could scoot the seat ALL the way back and not be able to touch the pedals. Can't tell from the outside, but they have tons of room on the inside, and at over 30+ mpg on the hwy, you can't beat the mileage!

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Tyler Allison

When I was working at Saturn I always thought the IONS would make a good chase vehicle. I am a big guy and hate small cars in general, but that is the first small car I could scoot the seat ALL the way back and not be able to touch the pedals. Can't tell from the outside, but they have tons of room on the inside, and at over 30+ mpg on the hwy, you can't beat the mileage![/b]

Yup. Im 6'2" and when I sat in the ION I literally said "holy crap..I fit!"

Add that the battery is in the trunk and it makes wiring up equipment REAL easy.

Makes for a great commuter car. Only thing I would probably due is get better tires. Im not impressed with their slick road traction.

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>

When I was working at Saturn I always thought the IONS would make a good chase vehicle. I am a big guy and hate small cars in general, but that is the first small car I could scoot the seat ALL the way back and not be able to touch the pedals. Can't tell from the outside, but they have tons of room on the inside, and at over 30+ mpg on the hwy, you can't beat the mileage![/b]

Add that the battery is in the trunk and it makes wiring up equipment REAL easy.

Makes for a great commuter car. Only thing I would probably due is get better tires. Im not impressed with their slick road traction.

Well 4 are in use all the time. The one up front runs the internet connection and nav. software. 2 of the ones in the back are for 2 different lightning systems. The 4th runs the Weather Station and the sat. tracking software, number 5 when in the vech. is for flooding software,and the 6th runs different software depending on who,or what research is going on at the time. There are norm. 3 people in the unit but can be as many as 6.
:wink: And no computer can handle all that is done. A one sec. pause in the data can maybe never be recovered again.

Well 4 are in use all the time. The one up front runs the internet connection and nav. software. 2 of the ones in the back are for 2 different lightning systems. The 4th runs the Weather Station and the sat. tracking software, number 5 when in the vech. is for flooding software,and the 6th runs different software depending on who,or what research is going on at the time. There are norm. 3 people in the unit but can be as many as 6.
:wink: And no computer can handle all that is done. A one sec. pause in the data can maybe never be recovered again.

Originally posted by Tyler Allison+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyler Allison)</div>
Originally posted by David Drummond@

Makes for a great commuter car. Only thing I would probably due is get better tires. Im not impressed with their slick road traction.[/b]

Well..so much for my storm chasing plans in the Saturn ION. My wife and I went mini-van shopping today and we traded my ION in for a new mini-van. I get to drive her old car.

Subaru Outback!!! Now that's an even better car to storm chase in...I feel so giddy.

Originally posted by Tyler Allison+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyler Allison)</div>
Originally posted by David Drummond@

Makes for a great commuter car. Only thing I would probably due is get better tires. Im not impressed with their slick road traction.[/b]

Well..so much for my storm chasing plans in the Saturn ION. My wife and I went mini-van shopping today and we traded my ION in for a new mini-van. I get to drive her old car.

Subaru Outback!!! Now that's an even better car to storm chase in...I feel so giddy.

Now comes the fast pace of outfitting it for the fast approaching storm season. Nice ride to chase with though. :D

Now comes the fast pace of outfitting it for the fast approaching storm season. Nice ride to chase with though. :D

No you are not missing out. It is software That watches Rain Guage Data an forecasts flooding in advance. Not aval. for the public as far as I know. :?

No you are not missing out. It is software That watches Rain Guage Data an forecasts flooding in advance. Not aval. for the public as far as I know. :?

Originally posted by Bill Hamilton+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Hamilton)</div>

Now comes the fast pace of outfitting it for the fast approaching storm season. Nice ride to chase with though. :D[/b]

I'm under a "not allowed to use the credit card" order from my accountant (wife). I kept telling her...all my "old" stuff wouldn't work anymore in her car. She didn't bite....dang it!

Originally posted by Bill Hamilton+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Hamilton)</div>

Now comes the fast pace of outfitting it for the fast approaching storm season. Nice ride to chase with though. :D[/b]

I'm under a "not allowed to use the credit card" order from my accountant (wife). I kept telling her...all my "old" stuff wouldn't work anymore in her car. She didn't bite....dang it!

Oh cool, my Davis wx station does that too![/quote]

Yeah mine does too. This software pings NWS and other rain guages and alerts when rates and amounts show a danger.

Oh cool, my Davis wx station does that too![/quote]

Yeah mine does too. This software pings NWS and other rain guages and alerts when rates and amounts show a danger.

Back